Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Maybe you damage it instead like the Apple Store told you :D how we know we can even trust you that you didn't break it.

Unless the OP was a seriously evil person (like those that microwave brand new devices ;) ) I don't see why they would do that.

Where's the downvote button when you need it?

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I would love to give you the benefit of the doubt, but having worked in Retail I have many stories of people trying to bring back things that "came that way." Your pictures didn't really make me think it "came that way." The stories are always one sided, and everybody feels "belittled" when something didn't go their way. By the evidence you have presented me thus far, I wouldn't believe you either. I'd love for you to present some more evidence to make me believe you, if the plastic was taken off, the phone has been activated and restored, that's a pretty big red flag.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I think someone is just messing with Apple and sabotaging some iPhones with the scuffs and bends :eek: qc cant have gotten that bad :S

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
An Apple Store is not the same thing as calling Apple.

Ok agreed. But I was just letting him know that "if" Apple fails him (lets hope they don't, I don't think they will) he should contact the CC company. No one should take $500 in the *SS!

----------

I think someone is just messing with Apple and sabotaging some iPhones with the scuffs and bends :eek: qc cant have gotten that bad :S

Yeah and he was beat up by security today. ;)

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
did you turn it on? I would have just left it off, never plugged it in or set it up. Then Apple would have a slightly harder argument blaming you. Slightly.

Yeah man you have options. Call apple, call your CC company, etc. This sucks though, I feel bad for you. I know how excited I get for a new gadget. It seems like this is the sloppiest iPhone launch yet. Higher volume sure, but with a lot more issues.

gfasciana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Why would someone bend a brand new phone? I have had an iPhone since the beginning of time. The phone is in workin condition except for the volume buttons being jammed in due to the phone being bent.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
The genius in the store seriously belittled me telling me that my phone would have never passed apples "inspection" process and that I physically bent this myself. I can guarantee you that as soon as I take care of the situation Apple will hear about the customer service team at this specific location.

You're lucky. didn't the early rumors say Apple was going to use curved glass?? You got a prototype! :)

J/K.. so much for Apples "inspection process".. I'm one of the lucky ones who got an iphone with a loose battery. My exchange was much easier than yours though.. once the genius shook it he knew it was going to be replaced.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The genius in the store seriously belittled me telling me that my phone would have never passed apples "inspection" process and that I physically bent this myself. I can guarantee you that as soon as I take care of the situation Apple will hear about the customer service team at this specific location.

This is crap (not your story) but the geniasse's reaction to you. If you weren't a little jerk to him (or even if you were) he has no reason to belittle you. There's no way any iPhone owner will purposely do this to their phone. The level of care seen with new iPhone owners is quite high. This excludes the pack of dorks who buy just to blend, throw, torch, etc, of course. You should indeed file a complaint. I know these kids are under pressure these days but there's no reason to belittle someone like that.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
I received my new iphone5 from Verizon from fed ex on Saturday, opened it up and it was bent and the volume buttons were jammed. I took it the apple store in summit mall (Akron Ohio) and they told me they would not replace it and accused me of damaging the phone myself. The "genius" at the apple store told me that a phone like mine would not have passed apples production inspection. Now I'm stuck with a broken iphone5 that I waited forever for.

Make sure they give you a new phone. Although I believe the Apple Store genius is correct about inspection bit... I don't believe someone purposely break there new phones. Not like this phone is like 1 year old.

gfasciana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I created an account just to post this and show people the crap that happens. I am a hardcore apple user (MacBook pro, iPhone 4, apple tv) and have never had issues. The one time I do I receive a horrible acusation. Rest assure, apple will def have a complaint when all is said and done.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Look at the bright side. Nobody in the world has the same bent phone as you! It's a masterpiece. An Original. A work of art.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
The genius in the store seriously belittled me telling me that my phone would have never passed apples "inspection" process and that I physically bent this myself.

riot, cause 1, you have motive to bend it yourself, 2, you haven't been waiting for this thing to arrive, 3, you obviously have super-human strength, 4, I'm sure their QA process is 100% all the time, 5, couldn't be fedex/UPS's fault riot?

(not to mention, it sounds like there's some civil unrest at the factory/factories over in China so I'm sure an angry worker couldn't have done this or let this one slip by riot? RIOT?!?!)

gfasciana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Just wanted to update.... I called Apple Care and opened a case.... told them everything I went through and they gave me a "repair number" which gave me the ability to go into the local Apple store and return the phone. The genius at the Apple store still felt the need to find some way to make it seem like I broke the phone. His response to me was " If I was going on vacation tomorrow I would not have done this" Rest assured he still new the situation I was in and probably felt like an *******. Got the new phone and its perfect!

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
This baffles me. Apple claims that its harder to get a job with them than to get into Harvard. Someone I know went through 5 interviews before he was hired. I attended 2 hiring seminars with them and was not hired, but this guy gets to have a job there? I've been struggling to find long term work for quite some time. SMH. :(

Retail isn't hard... They hire just about any young hippie type person

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
Why would someone bend a brand new phone? I have had an iPhone since the beginning of time. The phone is in workin condition except for the volume buttons being jammed in due to the phone being bent.

it was an accident.
you placed it on the back pocket of your skinny jeans.
after a few minutes you sat down.
end of story.

Hey, you got a break.. you have a replacement phone.
everyone's happy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.