Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
I'm reading conflicting things. Some sites seem to be saying that an unlocked phone can be used on any network, others seem to say not. If not, what networks *can* an unlocked ATT iPhone be used on?

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
An unlocked iPhone 4 can be used on either CDMA carries or GSM carriers depending on which radio is in it.. The iPhone 4S (unlocked) can theoretically be used on any carrier as it has both radios.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
No.

Unlike the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 4 had two models, a GSM model and a CDMA model.

AT&T uses the GSM standard, and an unlocked AT&T phone will work on any GSM network worldwide, which includes T-Mobile and nearly every carrier worldwide except Sprint, Verizon, and one Japanese carrier.

The iPhone 4S has a dual GSM/CDMA chip in it, so one model works on all networks. However, if you activate it on Sprint or Verizon, you are stuck with that carrier in the USA. Sprint or Verizon will unlock the SIM slot for you to use international GSM carriers though, so you can travel and avoid expensive international roaming charges. AT&T 4S's don't have the CDMA side active, so an unlocked version still won't work with Verizon, though, like the iPhone 4, will work with just about any network worldwide.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
as far as I know, Apple only sells unlocked iPhones in the GSM version.

No unlocked iPhones come in cdma.

vpqmom

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
mid-Atlantic
used on Verizon's U.S. network?

so can an unlocked Verizon iphone 4s be used in the U.S. on Verizon's network? I would like to use the iPhone as a cellphone and use wifi only, without getting a data plan. (we already pay enough in data fees for my husband and son! =-) I do NOT want their data share plan. )

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
so can an unlocked Verizon iphone 4s be used in the U.S. on Verizon's network? I would like to use the iPhone as a cellphone and use wifi only, without getting a data plan. (we already pay enough in data fees for my husband and son! =-) I do NOT want their data share plan. )

There's no such thing as an unlocked verizon 4S. All verizon 4S iphones are locked to verizon. If you get an iphone any iphone and try to activate it on verizon the data plan is mandatory. Even though you might not want it or need it they will make you pay for one or you wont be able to activate it on your verizon account.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Two problems:

1. The iPhone 4 came in CDMA-only and GSM-only variants. So even unlocked, an AT&T iPhone 4 won't work on any CDMA network.

2. Verizon will not, as a rule, activate a phone if its MEID is not in their inventory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.