Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jroth21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
So i am wanting a hotspot for my laptop and ipad on the go, so I went into my account on my verizon looked at the 4G hotspot addon and there is only 1 option that says for $30 and says requires unlimited data plan. I am grandfathered unlimited data for phone use and bought iPhone 5 full retail.

Is this true? Can I get unlimited data for the hotspot for $30 a month?

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
So i am wanting a hotspot for my laptop and ipad on the go, so I went into my account on my verizon looked at the 4G hotspot addon and there is only 1 option that says for $30 and says requires unlimited data plan. I am grandfathered unlimited data for phone use and bought iPhone 5 full retail.

Yes as far as I know call up and have them add it on. Not sure if this is just a special or not. I will be doing the same thing once I recieve mine. Can you let us know what Verizon says?

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010

Yes as far as I know call up and have them add it on. Not sure if this is just a special or not. I will be doing the same thing once I recieve mine. Can you let us know what Verizon says?

Yes verizon has unlimited hotspot for grandfathered unlimited data users only for $30.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007

If this is the case, I'll cancel my iPad's limited data plan and use the iPhone 5's unlimited hotspot. Definitely let us know if this works.

jroth21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012

I sent an email but I was reading their Terms and Conditions and this caught my eye

"You may use Mobile Hotspot or any other Wi-Fi hotspot or tethering service to use your smartphone or basic phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot or to tether it to your computer or tablet. If you subscribe to a data plan or package with an unlimited data allowance, there is an additional $20/month fee to do so."

http://support.verizonwireless.com/terms/products/broadbandaccess_nationalaccess.html

So is it $30 or $20 think I could get $10 refund each month if I argue this should be $20

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
I sent an email but I was reading their Terms and Conditions and this caught my eye

"You may use Mobile Hotspot or any other Wi-Fi hotspot or tethering service to use your smartphone or basic phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot or to tether it to your computer or tablet. If you subscribe to a data plan or package with an unlimited data allowance, there is an additional $20/month fee to do so."

http://support.verizonwireless.com/terms/products/broadbandaccess_nationalaccess.html

So is it $30 or $20 think I could get $10 refund each month if I argue this should be $20

Not sure about the cost but I know they had an issue with the FCC and tethering. Let us know what happens!!

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
If this is the case, I'll cancel my iPad's limited data plan and use the iPhone 5's unlimited hotspot. Definitely let us know if this works.

it works on my iphone 5
cancel away!

Its $30 for the unlimited hot spot you find out otherwise let me know.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I activated the $30/mo hotspot feature on my unlimited data plan account over the weekend via the online tool and it works fine.

After activating online I shut my phone off, turned it back on, and the hotspot option showed up under Settings.

jroth21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Alright sounds good, I have been using Hot Spot for the last few months and got rid of my Home internet.

I have called it is unlimited for $30 a month the $20 month is for 3g phones I was told and I will except that all I got to say is Freak you century link I am gone lol

DizzyV6P

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Wow..$30 now? It used to be $20 for the hotspot in August. Damn, I knew I shouldn't have cancelled it!

Nevermind..i just saw the post about 3g vs. 4g.

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011

I have called it is unlimited for $30 a month the $20 month is for 3g phones I was told and I will except that all I got to say is Freak you century link I am gone lol

lol yes it's $30 a month. $20/mo was the old plan. I'm currently using this on my SGS3 and cancelled my Comcast Internet which was $54.95/mo. I used 72gb last month with no throttling and my LTE connection is faster than my Comcast 15mb down service. I love Verizon!

If i had the iphone 5 i wouldn't cancel my home internet service though since IP5 can't do voice and data at same time :( When i get home from work i plug in my phone and put it on hotspot and we use it for our internet all evening. When i get a call, i just unplug phone, have my conversation and the plug it back in. All while not interrupting my wife watching Netflix on her laptop. Iphone on Verizon can't do that :(

jroth21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
lol yes it's $30 a month. $20/mo was the old plan. I'm currently using this on my SGS3 and cancelled my Comcast Internet which was $54.95/mo. I used 72gb last month with no throttling and my LTE connection is faster than my Comcast 15mb down service. I love Verizon!

If i had the iphone 5 i wouldn't cancel my home internet service though since IP5 can't do voice and data at same time :( When i get home from work i plug in my phone and put it on hotspot and we use it for our internet all evening. When i get a call, i just unplug phone, have my conversation and the plug it back in. All while not interrupting my wife watching Netflix on her laptop. Iphone on Verizon can't do that :(

This is true didnt really think about that good post. Thank god people only really text me though I can see me getting a call in the middle of a game of Borderlands 2 lol

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
This is true didnt really think about that good post. Thank god people only really text me though I can see me getting a call in the middle of a game of Borderlands 2 lol

Borderlands 2 is awesome and been playing it for the last week a lot :)

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010

Could Always use google Voice as a home number and tell people to only call you on that number during the times your most likely to be at home that way you have voice over data.

CheesyTators

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
SE Michigan
It's is true and an awesome deal for those of up with 4G phones. It was a promo started when the Thunderbolt was released last year and it's still available. I use it on my iPhone 5 and it NEVER disconnects or drops the signal like my Thunderbolt did. I am really enjoying it.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
kinda concerned it will make me lose something sicne I'm technically changing my plan.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
After the Jailbreak mywi for the win and $30 saved everymonth

TetherMe also works without requiring its own app. It just enables the function which was always there but disabled by Apple at the carrier's request.

kinda concerned it will make me lose something sicne I'm technically changing my plan.

If you sign into your Verizon wireless account, you'll see that it's under additional features, not plan change.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
For those wondering, you can add/remove the hotspot feature and only pay for the prorated days you use. For instance, if you went on a trip and needed to use data on your laptop, iPad, etc., you can add hotspot for, let's say, 3 days. And then you'd only pay ~3/30th of the monthly cost for the hotspot.

I've done this several times in the past year and sometimes I didn't even get charged if I used it for only 1 day. And it does NOT mess with your regular minutes/messaging/data plan to add & remove the hotspot feature.

You can even makes things more easier for yourself and download the My Verizon app to add/remove hotspot feature on the go.

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Could Always use google Voice as a home number and tell people to only call you on that number during the times your most likely to be at home that way you have voice over data.

yeah that's just annoying for the people that need to reach you. Also not really reasonable if you have more than 5 people that might want to call you.

It's an option but are you really expecting someone to send out a mass email/text or even call 50 different people and say, "at this time, on these days, please call this special number. then on these other days at these other times you can call the other number i have. dont' forget, or we can't communicate!"

not too realistic.....(unless the only person that ever calls you is your mom or wife)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
does it have any room for thorttling in the terms of service like att?
att used to allow this, but people like the above guy who used 72 GB in a month.. (not saying he did anything wrong, hes withing his right) caused att to rethink their unlimited plans..
Just curious if it has anything in the contract that would allow verizon to do that to my unlimited data??

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Is Hotspot included in their very expensive & limited new shared data plan without my iPad being added to that plan (it can't be since it is wi-fi only)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.