Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tnsltwn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Anyone know where I can get the wallpapers included on the latest iPad in "retina" quality? Looked and cannot find the 2048 X 2048 sized ones. I'm sure they can be extracted but I'm not jailbroken. Thanks!

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I am also looking for these so I can modify them with my "Contact if lost info" and make them the "new" lock screen. Any help would be great, I have searched google without success.

TyroneShoes2

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
I'd go to stuckincustoms.com. It has over 500 HDR photos from all over the world, available for download at full rez. It is the product of Trey Ratcliffe, one of the top HDR photographers in the world. I have been using about 300 of these images as moving wallpaper and screen savers on my Macs for a couple of years now, and they make great screen backgrounds for the new iPad as well. Before this I used to tire of the same images, but Trey's stuff is continually inspirational and I never get tired of it.

I guess I didn't really give you the answer you were seeking, but maybe I gave you a better one; if you can't get the images you want, get better ones from stuckincustoms.com.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Here are the first seven stock wallpapers at retina resolution (2048x2048). I have the rest but haven't converted them yet from the iPad's weird PNG format. If anyone wants one of the other stock wallpapers, let me know and I'll post it.

edit: All the original, unconverted, wallpapers can be found here.

7359797946_7fa74d1c4a_k.jpg

7359797286_baacf870d9_k.jpg

7174569831_11b50c5012_k.jpg

7359795466_cafed017b2_k.jpg

7174567927_4cf2b4ad45_k.jpg

7174567041_ad401744ec_k.jpg

7174566117_be3ae33f88_k.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DanielDD

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
the iPad's weird PNG format.

Just as a quick aside of nerdy trivia--and you may already know this, but for those who don't--PNG isn't just an idiosyncratic iPad thing. It's actually a standard created with the intent to be a royalty-free competitor to GIF dating from the late 90s, and is even preferable to JPG in many circumstances. OS X uses PNG graphics extensively, and as do most Linux distros and open-source Unix variants. </nerd_alert>

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Here are the first seven stock wallpapers at retina resolution (2048x2048). I have the rest but haven't converted them yet from the iPad's weird PNG format. If anyone wants one of the other stock wallpapers, let me know and I'll post it.

your images messes up the forum format, so next time, please upload by adding the tags [tIMG ][ /tIMG]
*remove space before and after middle brackets

Example of image in forum

Example of what the text should look like
(tIMG)http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8141/7359797286_baacf870d9_k.jpg(/tIMG)
*Note, replace Parentheses () with Brackets []

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Just as a quick aside of nerdy trivia--and you may already know this, but for those who don't--PNG isn't just an idiosyncratic iPad thing. It's actually a standard created with the intent to be a royalty-free competitor to GIF dating from the late 90s, and is even preferable to JPG in many circumstances. OS X uses PNG graphics extensively, and as do most Linux distros and open-source Unix variants. </nerd_alert>

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

My original response to this was a bit obnoxious. Sorry.

your images messes up the forum format, so next time, please upload by adding the tags [tIMG ][ /tIMG]
*remove space before and after middle brackets

Example of image in forum

Example of what the text should look like
(tIMG)http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8141/7359797286_baacf870d9_k.jpg(/tIMG)
*Note, replace Parentheses () with Brackets []

I edited my earlier post to make this change. Thanks for the heads up! I didn't even know that tag existed.

Last edited:

tr43z0r

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Leicestershire, UK

Could you please do the grey slate one after the wave? :)

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
Just as a quick aside--and it sounds like you probably didn't already know this--but the iPad (and other iDevices) actually use a modified version of the PNG format for system images. Though the modification basically involves just byte-swapping the red and blue octets in the image data, the result is a file that is unreadable to any normal computer (it isn't technically a PNG file anymore). If you want to view these images on a computer, you have to extract them from the firmware file and then run them through a converter to put the red and blue data back in the right order. I actually do know what the PNG format is and how it is used. Might want to do your homework next time before you pop in with a completely unnecessary post like that.

Wow, what a lovely way to respond to somebody who was just trying to provide some interesting information. I hope you have a more positive outlook in "real life".... :rolleyes:

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Wow, what a lovely way to respond to somebody who was just trying to provide some interesting information. I hope you have a more positive outlook in "real life".... :rolleyes:

Ok, fair enough, I was being a bit of a jerk. In my defense, the post I was responding to came off as more than a little condescending. If I know enough to jailbreak my iPad, SSH into the file system to get the wallpapers, and convert them to a readable format, I probably know what a PNG is. Nevertheless, I didn't respond in a particularly mature way and I apologize to tygrubb.

<unnecessary pictures>

...seriously?

The Blue Wave and the Blue Bokeh would be great to have.
TIA

I will convert these when I get home tonight and post them.

whocaresit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010

Can you upload PNG versions of images without any conversions?
I wonder why you had to convert images from a lossless (best) PNG format to a lossy (bad) JPG format. :(

cball902

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
With the update to iOS 6, I've lost my favorite stock wallpaper, the purple dots. If there's anyway you have that one, I'd LOVE it! Thank you!!

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I wonder why you had to convert images from a lossless (best) PNG format to a lossy (bad) JPG format. :(
I agree, it would be nice to have the original PNGs rather than re-compressed images. I've looked around but can't find them anywhere on the web.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX

The iPad uses a special png format that cannot be opened on a regular computer. There used to be a converter for Mac but it hasn't been updated in several years and I haven't been able to get it to work. The only way I was able to convert the images to a useable format was with Photoshop Touch on my iPad and then emailing them to myself as jpgs.

I do have all the original (iPad formatted) pngs and am attaching a link to them at the end of this post. As I was putting this together, I noticed something interesting. Apparently, OSX 10.8 has the ability to read these special pngs built in. When I originally got these files off of my iPad, I was running 10.7 on my Mac, which did not have the ability to read the files built in.

Basically, these images can be viewed without conversion on any iOS device or on a Mac running 10.8. So, you can email any of the wallpapers to your iPad and view it without any problem. However, they must be converted to be viewed on any other device or computer.

With the update to iOS 6, I've lost my favorite stock wallpaper, the purple dots. If there's anyway you have that one, I'd LOVE it! Thank you!!

All the original iPad retina wallpapers are included. I think the one you want is number 126.

I agree, it would be nice to have the original PNGs rather than re-compressed images. I've looked around but can't find them anywhere on the web.

You can find all the images here. Note that this is a very large file (315MB). Yay high quality images! I'm still miffed as to why Apple chose to remove the original wallpaper that came with the new iPad and the rain dropplets wallpaper in favor of the pixelated water ripples wallpaper that is the default on iOS 6.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
You can find all the images here. Note that this is a very large file (315MB). Yay high quality images! I'm still miffed as to why Apple chose to remove the original wallpaper that came with the new iPad and the rain dropplets wallpaper in favor of the pixelated water ripples wallpaper that is the default on iOS 6.

Thank you so much! ;)

I am planning to use them with contact lockscreen app to include my phone number and other info in case my ipad ever gets lost. Do you have an archive of the iphone 4 retna (and iphone 5 retna, at some point) system wallpaper as well?

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Apparently, OSX 10.8 has the ability to read these special pngs built in. When I originally got these files off of my iPad, I was running 10.7 on my Mac, which did not have the ability to read the files built in.

Basically, these images can be viewed without conversion on any iOS device or on a Mac running 10.8. So, you can email any of the wallpapers to your iPad and view it without any problem. However, they must be converted to be viewed on any other device or computer.
I always wondered about that, I wonder why it doesn't use standard PNGs.

All the original iPad retina wallpapers are included. I think the one you want is number 126.

Thanks, that's exactly what I've been looking for!

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Thank you so much! ;)

I am planning to use them with contact lockscreen app to include my phone number and other info in case my ipad ever gets lost. Do you have an archive of the iphone 4 retna (and iphone 5 retna, at some point) system wallpaper as well?

You're welcome! Unfortunately, I don't have the iPhone 4 wallpapers and don't own an iPhone 5 (it wouldn't matter anyway since the 5 hasn't been jailbroken and there is no way to access the wallpaper folder otherwise). Luckily, most of the iOS 4 and 5 wallpapers have survived to iOS 6 on the iPhone (with the exception of the earth wallpaper and a few others). So, they shouldn't be too hard to find with a little poking around on the web.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Does anyone know how to convert these to regular PNGs without XCode?

I have tried some of the available conversion utilities for Windows, but I'm only getting maybe the top 10% of the image with the rest being transparent.

I transferred them to my iPad and then pulled them out of photostream, but they appear to be getting converted to JPEGs with a .PNG extension on the end of them. (Photoshop can't open them unless I rename to .JPG)

Same thing happens if I email them to myself.

Mydriaze

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Sorry guys, i'm an ipad new user.
I downloaded the complete package (315 mb), then extracted it on windows, then copied all the png files into a folder, and synch it.

But, now, all the pictures are on my ipad, and appear to be a white square, nothing more.

What i've done wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.