Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Hopefully quick iTunes account switching will also come to iTunes / AppStore on Mac and iPhone/iPad soon!

Last edited:

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
I as well. I cut the cable years ago and now use apple tv exclusively. Very useful in my house.

Same here, my wife and I love it. We haven't had cable for two years now and we're never going back. I can purchase an entire season of 2 or 3 of my favorite shows and it's less money than 1 month of cable.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
"Reorder icons on the second page"

That's it?!!

The update we've all been waiting for?

I hope something else is coming, and soon. App Store is a must for Apple TV to be competitive with Google TV, Roku and Boxee.

I bought a couple for the Airplay capability, but that can only go so far (and mirroring is rather useless with Apple TV's poor Wi-Fi capabilities).

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
I like my Apple TV and its how we watch most material in our house. Even though there's no App store, which sucks, and in the UK the built-in services are weak at least with Airplay I can use iPlayer via my phone.

However, I bought ATV3 assuming a jailbreak would come out soon after, which turns it into a content-beast.It was be wonderful if this update had introduced a weakness.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
The first multi-user iOS device? Of course in this case it is only streaming, but it is a start...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I guess the biggest thing I am looking for in this minor update is the
Stability and performance - Includes general performance and stability improvements.

I don't think the ATV has performed all that well under iOS 5 and that it was far more stable in iOS 4. Here's to hope the 5.1 update smooths things out a bit. I'll check it out later when I get home.

macusermdm

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I want to know why my movie library from home sharing is now titled /. For some reason, on some update to either AppleTV or iTunes, the name of my library changed to the slash. Frustrating. Not to mention, movies that I purchased are disappearing from the streaming section of purchased under the movies icon. Apple is no help.

BTGeekboy

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Yay for 802.1X!

I've been holding off installing the aTV in our third conference room because I didn't want to pull a cable to it. But now that 802.1X is available, I'm going to be trying this one out right away.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I wasn't sure how useful I'd find the Apple TV, but for $85 refurbished I decided to give it a shot.

I love the thing. It's got a great interface, gives me access to my ripped DVDs (I like it better than Plex, and I really like Plex), Netflix, MLB.tv... Also Airplay is a killer feature - we're actually playing around with using it for various things (such as presentations) at work.

The Apple TV may be "just a hobby" for Apple, but it's definitely a great product.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
I'm really on the fence about buying this. Not that $99 is alot, but I just want to be sure I'll use it enough. I have 2 kids that occasionally watch Netflix, and they both have iPods...thinking they could Airplay their games to the screen. I have Direct TV so I'm not sure I'd watch a ton of TV on it. The photostream is great, but aside from showing pics to family from time to time...

Someone tip me over the edge, what am I missing here? :)

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Wow

ATV3
I'm not doing anything else on the Internet except this post.
"About 99 minutes remaining"

Usually it's much less than this.
I'd love to know how big the actual update is.

Groves

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2001
I wish there was an option to send surround speaker audio only, while putting the non-surround out the standard hdmi port at the same time.

rob25255

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
London
an error has occurred

Tried updating to 5.1 on my apple tv 2012 model and keep getting an error has occurred just at the end of the update. Very annoying...anyone else. Am trying again this time after restarting the box. Will keep you updated (excuse the pun)!

Anyone else getting this error message?

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.