Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Been playing on bootcamp since the head start. Absolutely love this game. Now that I can play on my mac, I can finally take back the 30+ GB I needed to give Windows on bootcamp!

If anyone new is joining the game, join me on the server 'Sanctum of Rall.' Names, Xploit.

That exactly what I was thinking! I can't wait to redownload this today!

MrMorden

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
Guatemala
On a 2011 MacBook Pro...

Downloaded it yesterday, and I just started playing. So far, I like it. I have an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro, and I am getting framerates of 35 to 65, depending on how populated the area is. Not bad.

Jayss123

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
A few posts back I asked:

Ok I have a Intel first Gen Mac Pro, it has 2 X 2Ghz Dual Core Intel Xeon,7GB 667 Mhz DD2 FB-DIM ram,NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB, Resolution: 1680 x 1050, I did have the 30inch but figured I would go with the smaller monitor I have everything on low or None, but all I get is 5 FPS and or 2 to 5 in Lion's Arch and DR as well. I have 10.6.8 SNow Lep, will getting 10.8.x help at all?

I "" someone but got no answer I was told today I can only goto 10.7 the most I can go I also, was told I can get the ATI 5570 I believe witch is backwards compatible with this system I want to know since I don't have 250 dollars right now for the card would getting Lion make a difference since I'm getting 5fps here and there?

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Yeah, if someone tells you this game is perfect you should take them on a camping trip or something. What I say is that this game will probably stick around with a healthy community (i.e. it won't implode after four months like every other MMORPG released recently).
It's more along the lines of, "This is the best MMO right now". If you like MMOs/RPGs, there's a good chance you'll love GW2; if you don't like MMOs/RPGs, you'll probably hate it. You should play with friends/other people, though, as solo play is less fun. While it's far from perfect (e.g., a number of upper-level quests and missions are/were buggy, and even some lower-level ones, too), the developers are pretty responsive, and there's a wide variety of things to do aside from the usual quest-like tasks:

• Exploring. The world is huge, the detail is incredible, and the devs have put all sorts of interesting places in out-of-the way locations.

• Crafting. You can spend a lot of time making stuff (as well as gathering the materials to make things).

• Jumping puzzles. I'm not a fan of jumping puzzles, but the devs have done some pretty amazing things if you like these. For example, in one area, there are some non-obvious things that you can do, largely involving some nasty jumping puzzles (nasty because there are monsters that try to stop you). If you succeed, you enable a special/secret boss event that everyone in the area can participate in (spoilers here).
However, the game does occasionally have issues, and the best way to see the current status is to follow GuildWars2 on twitter (or create a tweetdeck column with "from:GuildWars2").

----------

Then don't commit crimes? Why would you need 50 of an obviously bugged TP item, unless your sole plan was to try to hold onto it and exploit it post-bug-fix at higher resale? For people who just were like "omg, bug! I want one!" and bought one or a couple for them and their friends, it sounds like that would have been completely overlooked. 50+ is a substantial amount of an item.
The "non-crime" use would be to salvage the items for rare materials, for creating better/rare weapons and armor. Keep in mind that the highest-level gear would probably take the resources of a large guild to create just a single set (side note for non-GW2 players: the "highest-level" gear is largely cosmetic. While they do supposedly have better specs, the specs are trivially better (+1%??), and don't really make a difference. People try to get this stuff largely for the bragging rights.)

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I "" someone but got no answer I was told today I can only goto 10.7 the most I can go I also, was told I can get the ATI 5570 I believe witch is backwards compatible with this system I want to know since I don't have 250 dollars right now for the card would getting Lion make a difference since I'm getting 5fps here and there?
I really don't know, but your CPUs could just be too slow (it's a 2006-era computer). The game is heavily CPU-bound at times.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
As far as OS, I'd try to be running at least 10.7.4. You might see an improvement (but yeah, CPU is a huge factor here). Oh, and Lions Arch is laggy as heck just due to the amount of stuff going on in a small space (e.g. all the water/reflective surfaces).

And in reply to TLewis, I'd also add how GW2 is different as far as progression. If your idea of a fun time is getting lots of loot and upgrading constantly to get bigger numbers (regardless of how much it actually makes new content in the game easier) then you should not get GW2 (and you should probably get Borderlands 2). GW2 is not about the loot treadmill. Getting fancier looking gear is frankly more important (as far as the game is concerned). Literally the only part of the game that really cares about your gear to any degree is PvE dungeons. In sPvP gear is all standardized and it is all about getting cooler looking gear from chests/forge. WvW is siege warfare and tactics more than individuals and their stats. PvE outside of dungeons have lots of nonviolent ways to progress (and the mobs are generally easier). PvE dungeons you need to have relatively good gear and know what you're doing or it won't be very fun for you.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Played it a bit on my 13" 2.13Ghz C2D MBA with 320M gfx. It's pretty darn good, so far, for a cider port (at least that's what I heard some said it was).

It has been running just under the performance as it did when playing it on Direct X Windows 7. Not quite there, though, but fairly close. Seems to have a bit of extra graphical lag at the beginning, though. Still, after a few minutes, it sped up, so I'm not sure what was going on there.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
If you have a 2-button mouse, note that the scroll wheel doesn't work. This is caused by the mac beta option, "Use scrolling gestures to change direction", which is checked by default. If you use a 2-button mouse w/scrollwheel to play, and not the trackpad, unchecking this option will make the scroll wheel work.

Attachments

• mac.jpg
    mac.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 97

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
If NCSoft hadn't just closed Paragon Studios and announced the end of City of Heroes with zero warning even though the upcoming update was looking good and had a thriving community, I might be interested.

As it is, why would anyone trust getting involved in an NCSoft MMO?

Been playing Guild Wars for over 7 years now. Trust me it is here to stay. GW2 is superb, just give it a try, pretty sure you'd get hooked.

Wobbles

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Torrance, CA
A few posts back I asked:

Ok I have a Intel first Gen Mac Pro, it has 2 X 2Ghz Dual Core Intel Xeon,7GB 667 Mhz DD2 FB-DIM ram,NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB, Resolution: 1680 x 1050, I did have the 30inch but figured I would go with the smaller monitor I have everything on low or None, but all I get is 5 FPS and or 2 to 5 in Lion's Arch and DR as well. I have 10.6.8 SNow Lep, will getting 10.8.x help at all?

I'm playing fine on my slightly modded 2006 Mac Pro (2 x 2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon 5355 processors, 16GB RAM, 1GB ATI RADEON 5770, 512GB Crucial M4 SSD, OS X Lion 10.7.5). I have two 23" Apple Cinema Displays running at 1920 x 1200. I get 30+ FPS in Lion's Arch and in WvW. Prior to the Mac Beta, I was playing Guild Wars 2 on this Mac Pro via Boot Camp / Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit without issues too.

And yes, you cannot run Mountain Lion on your Mac Pro 1,1; Lion is the last version of OS X you can upgrade to unless you upgrade your firmware, but that's another discussion. You don't need Mountain Lion to run this game as Lion is sufficient.

If you want to use your computer, you have to make slight mods for better performance. You can get the processors and video card on eBay for less than $200. Search YouTube on how to do the processor swap; really easy if you've built a PC before.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
On a more serious note, dont buy this game. If you ever played World of Warcraft you wont find this to your liking.

TyePersonified

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I've seen people on here reporting that it is playable on a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro 13" but at the moment mine is struggling to reach 15fps at any given time.

I'm currently on Mountain Lion and when trying to play GW2 I close every other app so that only GW2 is running.

I sadly don't have the option of running it in Bootcamp either as I don't have a Windows installation CD/Serial key.

Any help would be appreciated.

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
On a more serious note, dont buy this game. If you ever played World of Warcraft you wont find this to your liking.

I disagree. I played WoW for long time but I like a lot Guild Wars 2. I still consider WoW more to my liking, mostly because of the weapon<->skills system in GW2, but GW2 is far more refreshing and has no subscription. I don't feel like that I have to play because I payed 13 euros for the running month.

nancyfromafrica

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Johannesburg
i think it just the beta version :( on osx

Guild-Wars-2-mac.jpg

Great news to all Guild Wars 2 fans on a Mac. NCsoft, publisher of today’s hottest MMO role-playing game, Guild Wars 2, has recently released the Mac beta client version to GW2. Hence, all Mac users will no longer need to use a BootCamp in order to play the game with their guild-mates and friends.

The confirmation was made lately by David Campbell of ArenaNet, who cited the company’s goal to make its game accessible to an entire group of players – Windows PC or Mac OS users. Therefore, guild-mates and friends can now play together regardless of the operating system they are using.

Code:
http://goo.gl/zQk3x

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I've seen people on here reporting that it is playable on a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro 13" but at the moment mine is struggling to reach 15fps at any given time.
I think 14-15fps is about it for the Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 13", which is below the minimum recommended requirements. Note that that Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15" and 17" models meet the requirements, but not the 13" version. See here for details:

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
While I'm sure there are WoW players who hate GW2, lots of WoW players like it.

To give people an idea of what GW2 is like, here's an example, low-level boss event:(Note: The video was taken during an early beta. The UI has changed slightly, and the graphics have probably improved slightly, too.)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If you have a 2-button mouse, note that the scroll wheel doesn't work. This is caused by the mac beta option, "Use scrolling gestures to change direction", which is checked by default. If you use a 2-button mouse w/scrollwheel to play, and not the trackpad, unchecking this option will make the scroll wheel work.

Having not played on Windows, I thought that the game simply didn't support the scroll wheel. Thanks for pointing out the option :)

iKing7

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Very exciting news. I've been playing on the Windows side of my 2008 MacBook Pro for a month now, runs smooth, about the same as WoW.

jawn12

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Can someone help me out here? I see comments like this...

Very exciting news. I've been playing on the Windows side of my 2008 MacBook Pro for a month now, runs smooth, about the same as WoW.

...and yet my early 2011 MacBook Pro can't even break 20fps on the lowest settings, with every other program closed. I don't get it? I really want to run this game but it's so uncomfortable to play :/

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Can someone help me out here? I see comments like this...

...and yet my early 2011 MacBook Pro can't even break 20fps on the lowest settings, with every other program closed. I don't get it? I really want to run this game but it's so uncomfortable to play :/

For tech help you're going to have to be more specific about your specs (e.g. OS version, graphics card, ram, etc...)

jawn12

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
For tech help you're going to have to be more specific about your specs (e.g. OS version, graphics card, ram, etc...)

I'm on a 13" Macbook Pro with OS X 10.8.2, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, and an Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB

hhaggis

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
Guild wars 2 Mac Beta

Hi Everyone, I am using the Mac Beta version 1.0.008498 and I am playing it on my Mac Pro 1.1 running Mac OS 10.7.5 and my system specs are...
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Processor): 4 MB
Memory: 10 GB
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB

I must say that I am getting very good smooth game play with no visible lag or graphics tearing on my very old Mac Pro. I am very impressed and Thank the developers for porting it to the Mac Platform.

Last edited:

BobbyMez09

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
California
Macbook pro mid 2009

hey guys i need your opinion please, i got a macbook pro mid 2009

with 8gb ram and a 2.8 intel core 2 Duo with NVIDIA Gefroce 9400M

will guild wars 2 be able to run with these specifications???

please let me know. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.