Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage40.png

Last week it was reported that the Verizon iPhone 5 is being sold with an unlocked SIM slot, allowing users with a nano-SIM or a trimmed micro-SIM from a GSM carrier such as AT&T to use the device on their networks. The Associated Press confirmed with Verizon that it will not remotely relock their iPhone 5 models. Last year, Verizon would only unlock their iPhone 4S models after 60 days.

It's worth noting that though the Verizon iPhone 5 will work on AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G network for voice and data, the phone will not work on AT&T's LTE data network. It will work on a number of international LTE networks. Apple's LTE information page details the bands that each specific model of iPhone 5 supports.

The main reason for the unlocked SIM card slot appears to be FCC network access requirements for Block C, the 700 MHz spectrum that Verizon uses for its LTE network. According to the FCC's CFR Title 47 Part 27.16 paragraph (e):
(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.
Sprint iPhone 5 models are SIM-locked, but customers can request unlocking after three months for international use. AT&T's existing unlock policy -- to unlock off-contract phones only -- remains in effect for the iPhone 5.

Article Link: Verizon Leaving iPhone 5 SIM Slots Unlocked as Required by FCC Network Access Regulations

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Doesn't ATT use the 700MHz band as well? I guess there is something I am missing.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
USA
This is bunch of garbage...They should unlock it and let people do whatever the hell they want to do once they pay the ETF......I hate the way this all runs.If have paid your dues then let me do whatever the hell I want to do with my stuff.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
How can that rule apply to all Smart Phones and yet Verizon is the only carrier that has it fully unlocked pretty much? Shouldn't it be this way for all carriers then? Is Sprint only unlocking for international use? Or does the Sprint model also work on AT&T out of the box?

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
So AT&T and Sprint don't use the 700MHz band as well? That's disappointing that only certain frequencies have unlock requirements. I hope this is a step in the right direction of moving away from carrier locks.

TOOFY

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Long Awhlandddd, NY
Although I am happy that I have moved to Sprint ( Still waiting on my IP5 Tracking number! ) from AT&T - this is nice thing from Verizon. I will never join AT&T again. I have been with them for 5 years too damn long! Never again.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
This is bunch of garbage...They should unlock it and let people do whatever the hell they want to do once they pay the ETF......I hate the way this all runs.If have paid your dues then let me do whatever the hell I want to do with my stuff.

That's the way it is. If you fulfill your contract obligations, they will unlock it.

----------

Doesn't ATT use the 700MHz band as well? I guess there is something I am missing.

Verizon use 13 (700c MHz)
AT&T use 17 (700b MHz)

FCC requires the C block to be unlocked.

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
Hmm...why didn't the FCC force the other carriers to do the same thing when they purchased their LTE spectra? Is there something special about this 700Mhz band that Verizon acquired? Don't get me wrong, I think this pro-consumer regulation (for a change!) is downright fabulous--but ALL carriers should be forced to do the same thing.

And also--does that mean that all the other LTE handsets with GSM capabilities are also unlocked by Verizon? Or is the iPhone the only LTE smartphone that includes GSM radios in addition to the CDMA+LTE bands in the case of Verizon?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
1 year, 7 months and my iP4s is no longer hostage to AT&T. Freedom at last!!!!

Wait... that's a freaking long time. :eek:

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Glad the FCC is stepping in. I wish they would make AT&T unlock their devices as well, tired of AT&T's unlock rules and regulations. The moment Verizon offers an LTE network that supports simultaneous voice/data I will jump ship. Tired of AT&T's rules and poor customer service.

-Mike

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
That's the way it is. If you fulfill your contract obligations, they will unlock it.

----------

Verizon use 13 (700c MHz)
AT&T use 17 (700b MHz)

FCC requires the C block to be unlocked.

Beat me to it!

I like these kinds of movements! GO FCC :D

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
Hmm...why didn't the FCC force the other carriers to do the same thing when they purchased their LTE spectra? Is there something special about this 700Mhz band that Verizon acquired? Don't get me wrong, I think this pro-consumer regulation (for a change!) is downright fabulous--but ALL carriers should be forced to do the same thing.

And also--does that mean that all the other LTE handsets with GSM capabilities are also unlocked by Verizon? Or is the iPhone the only LTE smartphone that includes GSM radios in addition to the CDMA+LTE bands in the case of Verizon?

There is probably a reason. The FCC don't like giving too much spectrum to one carrier, and it depends on how they wanted to acquire it and for what reasons. It's possible the FCC has some use for it also.

semitry

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2008
Glad the FCC is stepping in. I wish they would make AT&T unlock their devices as well, tired of AT&T's unlock rules and regulations. The moment Verizon offers an LTE network that supports simultaneous voice/data I will jump ship. Tired of AT&T's rules and poor customer service.

-Mike

That's an iphone issue. The galaxy nexus and s3 support data/voice simultaneously.

rufwork

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
FCC needs to expand on this further so it encompasses things like using all your phones features despite what plan you have. **** like facetime only for shared data plans? WTF....

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Great, So a Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked to work on any GSM network ( out of the box unlocked) but no LTE support, CDMA Phones are always cheaper so might score a verizon i5 soon, no need to purchase IMEI Unlocks

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.