Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt8045

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
nope but if im gonna be staring at a screen for hours upon hours I'll usually be on my iPad.

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Me too, ever since I missed pre-ordering. Every time I use my old 3GS or watch the iPhone 5 commercial I get nauseas and my blood pressure spikes.

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Seriously, I once had a new windshield installed and within a few miles I became very dizzy and nauseous. I knew something was very wrong, because when I looked straight ahead the problem was worse. When I returned to the shop the tech immediately saw that the glass had a flaw. A new windshield solved the problem. Perhaps your screen glass also has a flaw. Good luck.

Ksqrdx2

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Are the people who are experiencing symptoms using a case on the phone? Were you driving while using the phone? Or do you have a cold? I think my symptoms are worse or more noticeable when I am driving on the interstate, maybe because of the pressure of the wind on the car?

tito2020

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
Recommend looking it up at webmd or go to your doctor donot avoid it could also be high blood pressure.

wiestlingjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Are the people who are experiencing symptoms using a case on the phone? Were you driving while using the phone? Or do you have a cold? I think my symptoms are worse or more noticeable when I am driving on the interstate, maybe because of the pressure of the wind on the car?

I am not using a case or a screen protector. I'm using the phone just as I got it on launch day.

superego

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
It could be a reaction to electromagnetic radiation your phone emits. See wikipedia article for mobile phone radiation and health, also electromagnetic hypersensitivity. Btw, is your connection type (such as 3G or LTE) or signal strength any different on the new phone compared to the previous ones?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
As per manual.....

"Medical conditions If you have any other medical condition that you believe could be affected by iPhone (for example, seizures, blackouts, eyestrain, or headaches), consult with your physician prior to using iPhone."

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
It is running on 3G and wifi. Maybe I'll just get used to it.

If you still feel crappy after another day or so, make an appointment with Apple and go in for a trade. Make them set up your iPhone so that you can use it in the store for an hour or so. Would that be enough time for your symptoms to show up?

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
It sounds like for some of you it is the active noise cancelling the new iPhone ear piece does when you are on a call. The ear piece sends out cancelling "noise" to cancel out the "noise" around you so you can hear the caller on the other end more clearly. You must be having some kind of reaction to this since you aren't used to it.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
I am also experiencing this feeling. I thought at first it was just a fluke, but no matter what ear I use or who I talk to I get the same feeling. It feels like the ear that doesn't have the phone up against it is being "suctioned cupped". Or like it has a magnetic force coming in through to the phone on the other side. I don't know how else to describe it, but it makes me feel dizzy and it gives me a headache instantly.

Drop your phone and evacuate the area immediately. A chopper will come to extract you at 0600. I will call back with more details, out.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I have what the military classified as mild traumatic brain injury after getting blown up by a couple roadside bombs in Iraq and get headaches all the time. The iPhone 5 has not triggered any of them and I'm super sensitive to everything.

Wow, thank you for your service, it is much appreciated. Things like this put scruffs into perspective. :)

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
It sounds like for some of you it is the active noise cancelling the new iPhone ear piece does when you are on a call. The ear piece sends out cancelling "noise" to cancel out the "noise" around you so you can hear the caller on the other end more clearly. You must be having some kind of reaction to this since you aren't used to it.

OP makes note of the fact that it doesn't just occur during phone calls. My money is on the screen being slightly hinky. Sometimes glass can be off just enough to cause symptoms but not be acutely visible to the naked eye. I had the problem with an expensive pair of sunglasses. On one lens, the center of the glass was slightly off --- up and ever so slightly to the left of center. Made me woozy every time I wore them so I took them to my eye doctor, who put them into the machine that test glasses for prescriptions. She wrote up her results and I returned the fancy glasses for a swap. :)

Modscott

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
My wife and I both got the iPhone 5 on Friday and have both been experiencing the same issues with the phone. Slight dizzy, almost off balance feeling is the best way I can describe it. A couple minutes on the phone and I have a headache. I'm fairly certain that what I am experiencing is caused by the noise cancelling. I only get this while driving in a car and the sensation changes as I drive over different types of road, (asphalt, concrete, etc). When not in a car, the phone works great. No sound issues at all. Wifey is having exact same issues. I have an appointment at the Apple store tomorrow so I'll see what they say. For the record, this isn't my first smart phone. With the exception of the 4s, I've had every phone Apple has made in addition to Evo, Galaxy and various others. This is first time I have ever gotten this type of feeling from talking on the phone.

JCL

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
Is anyone else getting headaches and dizziness when using there iphone 5? It's not just when I talk, it can happen when I'm doing anything on it.

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having a problem like this.

Just cause you can't see the pixels doesn't mean put the phone 3 inches in front of your face. Lol

MHaynes772

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Jesus, mines so bad, I'm taking it back and exchanging. If it still continues bc it has something to do with the noise canceling, I can't have this phone. It's triggering bad migraines.

87am

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
This thread is hilarious, just goes to show you the power of suggestion.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
This thread is hilarious, just goes to show you the power of suggestion.

Yeah, you probably believe that migraine headaches are "all in your head." :rolleyes:

If someone feels bad, who are you to question the validity of that? You'd be singing a different tune if it was happening to you.

wiestlingjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
It's not crazy.. I just turned my iPhone 5 off, and got out my 4S. Headache has gone away after a couple hours. I'll be taking the phone back to the apple store and trying another one.

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
it is not my first smartphone. I have had all the iphones since the iphone 3g.

I have had a headache and pressure since i started using this phone for some reason.

omg whatever dude

----------

It's not crazy.. I just turned my iPhone 5 off, and got out my 4S. Headache has gone away after a couple hours. I'll be taking the phone back to the apple store and trying another one.

You're killing me. Let me guess you'll soon go buy a galaxy s3 and you'll suddenly become smarter? Or ever start growing more hair on your head. :rolleyes:

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I used to get mild headaches when I switched from a CCFL monitor to a LED unit.

Different makes of LED backlighting panels use varying frequencies to create different brightness levels.

Is it possible the IP5 is using a higher/lower frequency system?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.