Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
I used this to report a problem the day iOS 6 came out. I typed my work address in Glendale, CA and it pinned it in Sylmar, CA (15 miles away).

That's in L.A. - just think of all the small towns all over the globe. :eek: They have a lot of work ahead of them.

btcutter

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
f I were Apple I would put an Ad out asking Apple user to help make the Map better. How? Use the map app and by identifying unique locations. Each unique location is worth $.01. User do not have to keep track. Apple will. Once you reach $10 worth of unique locations, Apple with give you iTune credits.

Given number of Apple users out there, this is much faster way of encourage users to keep using Apple Map app and buff up data quickly.

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Just yesterday I reported the fact that the Lincoln, Nebraska airport actually, um, existed.

This could take awhile.

Seriously, though, I think this map thing will be like how "Flash on the iPhone" went. Annoying the 1st year, better the 2nd, and by the 3rd year only nerds will still be complaining about it while everyone else is just fine.

Lol I've been looking all over Lincoln for mistakes and cant believe I missed this one! Seriously where is it?!

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
Has anyone figured out how to submit information about a business that's not already listed for inclusion in Apple's database?

nikomakhos

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
This is really not going to be an effective way to fix the problem at some places. Where I live, pretty much all of the POI data is wrong as it's probably coming from YELP, a service with no users around here. Also there are not enough iPhone users here to make it work.

Also, didn't we already pay for Apple for this service? Now we have to work for it too? I would be willing to contribute if this was an open system, but why should I start working for Apple for free? They have the money, they can buy the data.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
In 2010, when Google was suffering similar, though not as widespread problems, they were receiving 10,000 user submitted corrections a day; just over 3.5 million a year. Maps has been “in the wild” for less than a week.

Exactly the perspective the public should have. If it's done the Apple way, it WILL be brilliant. If Steve were around, it would be done quicker! :p

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
"Suggestion corrections below"

name: Google

address: The Googleplex, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway Mountain View, CA 94043

Send the license contract lawyers!

P.S. I haven't used iOS 6 yet, this is only meant in fun.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Oh, I'm doing Apple's work for them because they bought trash data, am I?

Well, that's pretty cool - I guess Apple Maps is now open source and the whole world will benefit from my voluntary work?

And when they'd fixed the data how are they going to make the search function work better? It's near impossible to find stuff you KNOW is on their dreadful maps using their search.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
What could really make a difference is if Apple had a web based map version, just like Google.

A few years ago I remember correcting various nearby address locations on Google Maps online, because it was so easy to do on a laptop.

Good point.

For now I guess you could always report problems to the The Amazing iOS 6 Maps.

I bet Apple are watching.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
In 2010, when Google was suffering similar, though not as widespread problems, they were receiving 10,000 user submitted corrections a day; just over 3.5 million a year. Maps has been “in the wild” for less than a week.

That's great, but the simple fact is they released a product that wasn't ready. Whether it's had enough development or user feedback isn't an acceptable excuse.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This is really not going to be an effective way to fix the problem at some places. Where I live, pretty much all of the POI data is wrong as it's probably coming from YELP, a service with no users around here. Also there are not enough iPhone users here to make it work.

Also, didn't we already pay for Apple for this service? Now we have to work for it too? I would be willing to contribute if this was an open system, but why should I start working for Apple for free? They have the money, they can buy the data.

The problem with that (and why others like Google use crowd-sourced information) is the world's landscape - POIs and literal landscape - are changing all the time. And it obviously takes mapping companies a LONG time to map the entire planet.

So instead they let their hundreds of millions of users actively and passively submit data to keep the maps as up to date as possible. This is why Google is so much better than GPS companies like TomTom, Garmin and others. You'd get map updates every year or so with them. With Google (and now Apple) the maps are constantly being updated by their users.

It'll take time, but the only way for it to REALLY grow and mature is to have it out "in the wild."

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
So your doing work for Apple for free.

Looks like they'll beat the 7k+ workers that google has working on maps alone.

MarcelEdward

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
I am confident apple will sort the map thing out.

Luckely my current navi is working perfect, it tells me the route to the place I want to go flawless in dutch. (It even shows the route in 3d when I am a town, but I rarely look at it.)

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Too bad my retina display doesn't burn in "Report this problem" every time it does that.

Wateroksnmud

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Adding information?

How do we go about submitting information that's not yet been added? I.e. public restrooms in a street mall, or public road that's not listed as a road yet.

brutedawg

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Use the map app and by identifying unique locations. Each unique location is worth $.01. User do not have to keep track. Apple will. Once you reach $10 worth of unique locations, Apple with give you iTune credits.

Given number of Apple users out there, this is much faster way of encourage users to keep using Apple Map app and buff up data quickly.

The RIAA/MPAA would have a field day with this.

DOWNSIDEUP

Cancelled
May 28, 2011
google-vs-apple-maps-ecce-homo.jpg

LOL

eyebye

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2007
Exactly the perspective the public should have. If it's done the Apple way, it WILL be brilliant. If Steve were around, it would be done quicker! :p

Hmmm...so the bugs in the map software wouldn't be as bad if users adopted a different "perspective". That's a unique take on things.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
Oh god there really is no hope. Hopefully google will submit maps on the app store so we can all upgrade to ios 6 soon.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
...and just like forums, I'm sure Apple will be faced with a lot of trolling input that they'll have to filter out.

It will be interesting to see how quickly they incorporate input. If they're quick about it, they could take a bad situation and make it a good one in a relatively short time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.