Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skywest153

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I'm thinking about this one but they have an iPhone 4/4S in there and I'm worried about how snug the 5 would be in it.

As noted on the website, based on which one you select it is fitted for that particular phone. The iphone 5 version is slightly bigger:

iPhone 4/4s

Width: 3.35 in.
Height: 5.05 in. 
Depth: 0.25 in.
Weight: 0.96 oz.

iPhone 5

Height: 5.24 in.
Weight: 1.02 oz.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
As noted on the website, based on which one you select it is fitted for that particular phone. The iphone 5 version is slightly bigger:

iPhone 4/4s

Height: 5.05 in. 
Weight: 0.96 oz.

iPhone 5

Height: 5.24 in.
Weight: 1.02 oz.

Yeah, wasn't worried about height as much as I was depth with the 5 being 20% smaller in that regard.

skywest153

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, wasn't worried about height as much as I was depth with the 5 being 20% smaller in that regard.

Understood! I'll let you know how mine is, though it'll be a few weeks according to their website. Time will tell. :)

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
Hmmm, saw a sleeve earlier that had a little tab at the top for pulling it out but can't find it again. And it wasn't the Snugg.

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Never understood the appeal of a sleeve for a phone. a sleeve only protects in transport, does nothing when you use it. Plus, having to take it out, use it, and then put it back in the sleeve seems a bit much for as often as i need to glance at my phone.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Never understood the appeal of a sleeve for a phone. a sleeve only protects in transport, does nothing when you use it. Plus, having to take it out, use it, and then put it back in the sleeve seems a bit much for as often as i need to glance at my phone.

I hate cases. Honestly. What youre doing is basically hiding the phone in the whole usage , then when its time to upgrade your phone is as good as new. Well , now thats not the problem. But the problem lies in not using your phone. You will never see it naked. Well, you can but not very often. With the sleeve you can easily take it out whenever you need it and easily put it back in its case when you need to store it in your pocket (jeans).

Thats why I prefer the sleeve over the case.

PLUS, all the cases are ugly. No doubt. You can actually find cool-looking sleeves (black leather etc). Its also about taste. If youre 13 I can get it if youre going with a case but if youre more mature, its the professional style you want. Its neat having a leather case for your phone. Shows others that you mean the best for it.:)

tcung82

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
having to remove the phone from the sleeve adds a higher chance of fumbling around and then eventually dropping it. i wouldnt use one. its just another thing to carry around too.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
having to remove the phone from the sleeve adds a higher chance of fumbling around and then eventually dropping it. i wouldnt use one. its just another thing to carry around too.

Thats not a good argument. You carry your case when you have that on, now dont you? Thats 2 things. Same with the case. The only difference is that you can easily seperate the sleeve from the iphone. Now thats not easy with a bulky case. 1. You will easily scratch up the whole back of the phone, 2. Why would you bother doing that tricky part? When you take off the case, the case will be in 2 pieces - which makes it extra tricky. Nah, not a case again. I was leaning towards a case before but now Iam all into sleeve/leather pocket.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I like the idea of a pouch, but...

I bought a nice leather pouch for my iPhone 4 for the same reason mentioned by the original poster: I wanted to use the phone naked, but at the same time want some protections. The pouch seemed like a good idea as it protects the phone from all side.

In practice, however it doesn't make sense. When the phone ring, I would have to get the pouch out of my pocket, retrieve the phone from the pouch, and about half of the times I would miss the call. Worse yet, as I fumble trying to get the phone out of the pouch, many time I almost drop the phone. Unlike retrieving a phone from my pocket where I have more wiggle room, the pouch I have is pretty snug which is what you want so that the phone doesn't fall out by accident, but that make retrieving the phone a bit trickier.

I suspect that in most cases people drop their phone when it's in transition, for example retrieving the phone from a pocket. Having a phone in a pouch meaning there is no additional protection when use because one has to remove it from the pouch every time.

But then I look at a pouch with pockets for cards I start thinking that it's a good idea because I then can eliminate my wallet. Still, I have trouble convincing myself of the pouch idea as having owing a really nice pouch for the iP4 and using it for about a month then giving it up as being too cumbersome.

I am undecided between no case and using a case. I thought if I were to put a case on the phone, I want something different than just a plastic shell. Adding a function to it like a wallet seems like a good idea. A pouch with pocket for cards would satisfy that requirement.

Should I give it another try?

der-kaiser

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Brisbane
I like the Suede Jacket sleeve from Waterfield designs. Great soft touch material.

----------

I bought a nice leather pouch for my iPhone 4 for the same reason mentioned by the original poster: I wanted to use the phone naked, but at the same time want some protections. The pouch seemed like a good idea as it protects the phone from all side.

In practice, however it doesn't make sense. When the phone ring, I would have to get the pouch out of my pocket, retrieve the phone from the pouch, and about half of the times I would miss the call. Worse yet, as I fumble trying to get the phone out of the pouch, many time I almost drop the phone. Unlike retrieving a phone from my pocket where I have more wiggle room, the pouch I have is pretty snug which is what you want so that the phone doesn't fall out by accident, but that make retrieving the phone a bit trickier.

I suspect that in most cases people drop their phone when it's in transition, for example retrieving the phone from a pocket. Having a phone in a pouch meaning there is no additional protection when use because one has to remove it from the pouch every time.

But then I look at a pouch with pockets for cards I start thinking that it's a good idea because I then can eliminate my wallet. Still, I have trouble convincing myself of the pouch idea as having owing a really nice pouch for the iP4 and using it for about a month then giving it up as being too cumbersome.

I am undecided between no case and using a case. I thought if I were to put a case on the phone, I want something different than just a plastic shell. Adding a function to it like a wallet seems like a good idea. A pouch with pocket for cards would satisfy that requirement.

Have you had a look at the bookbook case? Might suit what you are looking for.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden

To be honest I didnt think about when the calls are coming in.
Well, the ultraslim (SENA) might have problems with that as it takes around 20 sec to get it out of there. But the hampton flip eliminates that problem.

Gush , I cant decide which leather case. I wish there was someone coming with an idea - Id like it locked up like the hampton but still having a pouchy feel to it so you can easily take it out.

tcung82

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Thats not a good argument. You carry your case when you have that on, now dont you? Thats 2 things. Same with the case. The only difference is that you can easily seperate the sleeve from the iphone. Now thats not easy with a bulky case. 1. You will easily scratch up the whole back of the phone, 2. Why would you bother doing that tricky part? When you take off the case, the case will be in 2 pieces - which makes it extra tricky. Nah, not a case again. I was leaning towards a case before but now Iam all into sleeve/leather pocket.

y would i want to take the case off my phone? its on there and stays on there. u remove the phone from the sleeve and now u are holding the sleeve in one hand and the phone in the other. how many hands do u have free? ok. the constant in and out of your sleeve i would think would make it more of risk than having it stay in a case all the time. if something were to get into ur sleeve and u slide that phone of yours in and out, more chances of something foriegn to scratch it.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
y would i want to take the case off my phone? its on there and stays on there. u remove the phone from the sleeve and now u are holding the sleeve in one hand and the phone in the other. how many hands do u have free? ok.

You lost me there. Ty bb.

If anyone can find a leather wallet more like this without looking like a book , be my guest. This is pretty much what Iam looking for.

Attachments

• bookbook0.jpg
    bookbook0.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 293
  • BookBook_iPhone_Black.png
    BookBook_iPhone_Black.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 353

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I can't stand a portfolio like the bookbook

I like the Suede Jacket sleeve from Waterfield designs. Great soft touch material.

----------

Have you had a look at the bookbook case? Might suit what you are looking for.

I am sure there are people who love them, but I hate the idea of something so bulky. It reminds me of a 3-ring binder. And the thought of answering the phone by holding a 3-ring binder to my ear is not appealing. Most of the time I don't have the discipline of bringing a (charged) bluetooth headset or an earphone with me.

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Feel the beauty of the phone? Lol. This is worst than a case,

Protecting the phone from what? Do you intend on operating your phone while the sleeve is still on?

This seems like a waste of money.

Absolute rubbish. It's not a waste of money in the least. As for the beauty of the phone it allows you to use it naked and then put it back in the case when done. It's a far better option then the crappy covers a lot of people seem to put on their iPhones which hides the back of the phone and makes it look ugly. If anything that's a waste of money. The front isn't protected anyway. I have used leather slip cases with my iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S. I currently use a Vaja case with my 4S and plan on getting a Vaja, Beyza or Piel Frama case for my iPhone 5. I've ordered a Belkin slip case for temporary use until one of those becomes available.

EngenZerO

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Denver, CO

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Spigen SGP. Very good quality and fit.

This is what Iam looking for - but without that magnet lock. Why did they have to go magnet? Magnets and harddrives never work well together. After 1 month in this one the phones harddrive can certainly take damage. Gush.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.