Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
To clarify very simply:

If you use the Cradle + Snap-in Adapter: No iPhone 5 compatibility until BMW releases a new $200 snap-in adapter.

If you use the USB Port only: Immediate iPhone 5 compatibility with the white Apple Lightning cord that's packed-in with the iPhone 5.

If you use the USB Port + Headphone Jack Y Cable: iPhone 5 compatibility only if you obtain the $30 Lightning adapter.

BJ

This (crossing fingers).

#2 has been confirmed, the packed-in Lightning cord works per normal with BMW's currently using the USB Port and an iPhone. Functionality has been improved for most as iOS6 allows Bluetooth office profiles for text messaging as well, now we get an indication on the iDrive screen and can have texts read to us over the car audio system as we drive.

BJ

jcw5002

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
#2 has been confirmed, the packed-in Lightning cord works per normal with BMW's currently using the USB Port and an iPhone. Functionality has been improved for most as iOS6 allows Bluetooth office profiles for text messaging as well, now we get an indication on the iDrive screen and can have texts read to us over the car audio system as we drive.

BJ

I'm actually having issues in my '11 bmw 128i using the USB port w/ the included lightning cable. I don't have the iDrive system in my car. Usually when I plug in the iPhone (pre-iPhone5), it goes into "accessory mode" and blocks off the iPod app on the phone... then I see "iPod" show up in the audio selector and it plays fine.

This morning I plugged in my iPhone 5 to the USB port and everything worked as usual... at first. Once I tried it a second time the car would not recognize the iPod capabilities at all. The iPhone shows as charging (and makes the noise), but it doesn't play the music through the car or recognize the iPod capabilities.

Curious to know if anyone else is seeing this. It's weird because it worked once, so that makes me think it's possible... The first time I was also doing Turn-by-Turn...

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Anyone try using this with a CHR-550 or similar lock pick device that allows mirroring for videos or similar actions?

trevorlc

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
I'm actually having issues in my '11 bmw 128i using the USB port w/ the included lightning cable. I don't have the iDrive system in my car. Usually when I plug in the iPhone (pre-iPhone5), it goes into "accessory mode" and blocks off the iPod app on the phone... then I see "iPod" show up in the audio selector and it plays fine.

This morning I plugged in my iPhone 5 to the USB port and everything worked as usual... at first. Once I tried it a second time the car would not recognize the iPod capabilities at all. The iPhone shows as charging (and makes the noise), but it doesn't play the music through the car or recognize the iPod capabilities.

Curious to know if anyone else is seeing this. It's weird because it worked once, so that makes me think it's possible... The first time I was also doing Turn-by-Turn...

I've been using my iPhone 5 in my 2011 3 series with iDrive (with nav) and its been working sort of okay. I'm using the lightning/usb cable that came with the phone.

I've had the car not recognize my iPhone 5 a few times when I first get in, but so far an unplug pause then replug seems to get them talking. The REALLY odd thing I'm experiencing is that there tends to be a delay when I hit the next track/song button on any of the car controls the delay can be anywhere from a second up to several seconds. Not sure what that is all about, never had that before with my iPod Classic, or iPhone 4S it always used to switch rather quickly.

Also random question for those with BMW Apps, Do your apps work with iPhone 5 and the standard cable? Before my switch I tried out my 4S with the 30 pin usb cable and BMW apps would work via that which I had always been told they do not. However the iPhone 5, they do not I am wondering if its just a matter of BMW updating the app to tell it about the change in port or if there is some other issue that will involve a BMW software update/special cable.

bigdaddyjo

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I realize most questions are around stock systems, but FWIW the iPhone 5 lightning cable that came with the phone works perfectly with 3 year old aftermarket Sony head unit through USB plug. Head unit is able to sort by genre/artist/album/song and play without issue. Incidentally, same head unit was unable to recognize a SIII.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I just bought a 2012 Civic LX in June--no bluetooth, just a USB connector in the armrest.

This will work, since I'd be able to plug my Lightning USB directly into the USB slot--right?

I have only hooked up my iPhone 4 via USB with the car so far, but it's worked flawlessly. I'm not too familiar with the compatibility with other devices.

My 2012 Accord is charging but not playing through the USB port.

Paladin

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2002
Houston, TX
Everything works exactly like it did with the 30-pin to USB cable in my 2012 Hyundai Sonata SE. If I remember correctly, then some of the upgraded factory stereos, like on the Navigation package, required the Hyundai adapter. Mine has a USB port, and I plugged the Lightning to USB directly in to it. Music plays, iPhone charges and the steering wheel controls work just like they always did with my iPhone 4. Very happy about this.

MikeNemat

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
iPhone 5 works perfectly in my Chevy Volt via USB to lightning cable. No adapters. Steering wheel controls, song info, everything perfect. I assumed I'd need the adapter but this is a pleasant surprise!

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Doesn't work with my JVC head unit at all. I just bought an older iPod touch for this car.

It will alternate between these two messages, and then if not, it will say, "USB Device not recognized"...this is using the Lightning connector.

IMG_0031.jpg
IMG_0032.jpg

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Works fine for me. I have a Prius C and the 5 works just like my iPhone 4 and Galaxy Note did, and like my iPod touch does.

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
My phone synced like a charm with my Nissan Juke. Also, which the Gnex did not do, whichever ring tone I have selected for the contact calling, it rings through my car speakers, instead of a separate car ring tone. Me likes.

posted on my Nexus 7 tethered to my iPhone5

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
Everything works fine for me on my 2012 Camry SE w/ Navigation. Bought another Lightning to USB cable today and the phone charges and plays music through the cable. Won't use it much since I use Bluetooth, but good to know that it works!

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
02 honda accord with pioneer DEH-33HD. Usb connection works great. I can control forward-rewind on podcasts and pandora. And it also charges. Happy man!

ethant

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
I have an Alpine head unit (CDE-122), and was worried about potential issues with the iPhone 5. I searched around the web and didn't find much. I am pleased to report that it works just fine. Head unit iPhone control and Pandora control work via the lightning USB cable just like they did with the 4 (no adaptor required). Hopefully this info will be helpful to someone!

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
It's working great in my '09 Honda Fit's generic USB plug. I can still see titles and scroll through songs and playlists using the stereo (and of course listen to music/podcasts/etc).

liltechdude

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
I was worried about the loss of analog audio and how it would affect car capability.

I'm happy to report that my new 2012 Nissan Rogue's USB connection worked perfectly when I plugged in the lightning cable and my iPhone 5.

Now to figure out how to get a little bit more current going through the USB port (can't handle the current drain from Trapster plus music streaming).

lancejorton

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
I have an Alpine head unit (CDE-122), and was worried about potential issues with the iPhone 5. I searched around the web and didn't find much. I am pleased to report that it works just fine. Head unit iPhone control and Pandora control work via the lightning USB cable just like they did with the 4 (no adaptor required). Hopefully this info will be helpful to someone!
Very cool. Thank you! I hope this means it will work with the CDA-105 (similar unit).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.