Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
They are about equal to me, with black having a slight edge.

I got white mostly because my 4S and iPad are black, so I wanted to change things up a bit.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
in all previous iPhones I've actively disliked the white versions. Not a huge amount, but rather than preferring black, I just didn't like the white at all.

After seeing pictures of both iPhone 5s, I thought "wow the white actually looks good this time, but I still prefer black". I then proceeded to order said black iPhone

Then after seeing both models in an apple store, I'm starting to regret my decision! I REALLY like the white iPhone, however i still think the black looks more professional :confused: Such confusion!

I think I prefer the screen on the black one, especially with the letterboxed apps, but I prefer the back of the white. To me it looks sleeker. I'm not the biggest fan of apple's decision to go slate.

Anyway I've decided to leave it down to fate, once my black iPhone arrives, I will keep it if it's perfect, and exchange it if it has dents/scratches. (This is not influenced by the "scuff gate" - hate that name - issue, simply that if it wasn't perfect out of the box I'd be returning it anyway)

EDIT: tl;dr - Overall I prefer the white, but only a bit and the black looks more professional, plus I can imagine the white getting dirty. So I chose the black but will be happy to change if the apple gods decide that for me :L

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I chose the black iPhone 5 because when it is in operation, the screen colors just pop and contrast beautifully; as a photographer I appreciate that. This said, I also think the white iPhone 5 is beautiful, too, in a different way. When both versions are not on -- in sleep mode -- and are just sitting there, the black presents a more uniform image with the black screen and black bezel, etc. On the other hand the white bezel says, "pick me up, use me, enjoy me....." So, it's six of one, half-a-dozen of the other! They are both beautiful and elegant, not to mention sleek.....

Sneakyfox

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
England, UK
I chose the black iPhone 5 because when it is in operation, the screen colors just pop and contrast beautifully; as a photographer I appreciate that. This said, I also think the white iPhone 5 is beautiful, too, in a different way. When both versions are not on -- in sleep mode -- and are just sitting there, the black presents a more uniform image with the black screen and black bezel, etc. On the other hand the white bezel says, "pick me up, use me, enjoy me....." So, it's six of one, half-a-dozen of the other! They are both beautiful and elegant, not to mention sleek.....

+1 this entirely. High five for being a fellow 'tog also :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
:):) As someone else here said somewhere, and it's true, when the screen is on the rest of the iPhone/background/bezel just seems to fade away, leaving just the image to sparkle and capture one's attention. For a photographer this is especially important.....

An example:
p1143855806-3.jpg

(Photo of the new iPhone shot with the iPhone 4 to illustrate something which was being discussed in another thread but which also rather serves to illustrate the point here as well.)

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I went to the Apple store today and looked at both of them and have to say that the white looks better this generation. Much better.

deyjavoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
In reality it's probably going to be 50-50 across the population.

I felt that the iphone 4 black looked better than the white.
I feel that the iphone 5 white looks better than the black.

I went into the store and realized that white is now the best -looking color, but I will still buy black.

How's that for any clarity?

I think I saw percentages already and there are more black sold, I will look for a link.

I chose black, easiest decision ever when you see the black bar around the screen on the white one

Last edited:

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
The more I read , the more I realize I made a wrong decision in getting white. Thankfully Apple are sending me out a black model so I can make my choice.

Holding both models in person is better than having to choose from just images and video. I do like the black (regarding the letter boxing) and how slick it looks. I love the white too, but the screen bothers me.

lotus8

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
I have a black 4S, and preferred it over the white, obviously, But when I went to go see the 5, I liked it better in white. The color you choose is relative to what appeals to you. I don't think anybody can convince you which color to get.

The black was nice, but the contrast of the gunmetal steel against the black was different. The white, on the other hand, had an appealing contrast which blended perfectly.

I agree with this exactly. All my iPhones were always black, and I loved it. It was sleek, reminded me of the screen on the MBP, just blended nicely with the screen. I was ready to get another black iPhone with the 5. However, I said just maybe I will try the white to be different, and I was on the fence.

But then I actually went to the store, saw both and had them both white and black to look at in my hands, and no doubt, the white model, to me, stands out as sharp, classic, reminds me more of the whole design of the iPads and Macbook Air. I know I read the black was 'stealth', but there was hardly NO contrast on the back and all around between the logo and the steel. It just didnt have the 'wow' factor to me like I thought it would, and previous models had.

I always enjoyed the black with silver contrast. But I now know this was the model for me to make the change, and I'm very happy I did.

----------

I chose black, easiest decision ever when you see the black bar around the screen on the white one

Well, in all honesty, that is not going to be an issue when apps update and become iPhone 5 compatible, which any of us know, with the amount of updates lately, it wont be long till all your favorite apps will make the black bar be a mute point.

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
I don't get where people say the white around the front bothers them when looking at the screen on the white iPhone...I'm focusing on the screen too much to really give a crap about the trim lol

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I've played with both. Definitely prefer black. Black may not hide fingerprints well but it sure does hide the lint/crap that gets stuck in between the home button and around the edges of the glass a whole lot better than the white one.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Just a personal observation, and this might not apply to everyone, obviously. I've seen that most men typically get the color opposite of their skin color (except Asians, who get more white). Women in general also tend to get white. Why? I have no idea, but like I said, its just a general trend I've observed.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
At first I didn't like the white one but looking at my wife's it looks awesome. I've always had black and was gonna go white... But I'm a sucker for black on black. Black is very sleek and clean. Indeed a very hard choice

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I'd say black. At least the ridiculous color transition on the back is easier than it is on the white version.

But they both look bad in my opinion.

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
black is just as nice as the white but based on posts i've read, people are exchanging SOLELY because of the whole anodized metal being scratched and what not. I personally think both look nice and but I ended with the white.

hayden1250

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Went into a store today to have a look at them. Had both on display. I must say, the white looks rather nice. Initially I had the black as the winner hands down, but the white looks smart in real life.

Both are really nice. Black looks good brand new, but you can see the white would hold its look better over time.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
When I queued up on launch day, I was 100% gonna get the black. I had a white 4s and loved it, but felt the black 5 looked better from the pictures. When I actually got to look at the 2 physically, I swapped to the white. The colour combination works better and to me looked more "Apple". The black and slate looks a bit, well, "Meh". If they had kept the black/silver combo of previous models, I'd have probably gone black.

As a side issue, it appears to me that apple don't seem to "push" the white model as much this time.... when you look at the official videos and also the iPhone part of Apples site, it's mostly the black model and the white model seems like a poor cousin.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Wish they made black glass with the raw aluminum elements and mirror edge of the white to be honest. It would be perfect but people would scream it looks the same.

vijay007

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
White iPhone 5 with the silver accent looks Clean and Sophisticated. I had the original iPhone, 3GS and 4 all in black (yeah, there is no white original iPhone), but went with white for the 5.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
For the first time ever, I like the white better.

Love the shiny edges.

Ditto. I liked the black better in the pics, but after seeing them "live", I opted for white this time around. Didn't care for the black on black as much as I thought I would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.