Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
My 3GS did this, my 4 did this, I know of 5 iPhone 4S's that did this and both of the 5's that I have in my possession do this.

I will note that I did have a iPhone 4 that the sleep/wake button was clearly rattling/lose that is not normal.

IMO it is a non-issue. I'd say there is a higher likelihood that your replacement will have a worse defect then a rattle that isn't even a defect.

What's wrong with slight play in the sleep/wake button? I mean, do you know what the long-term impact of this will be? I was gonna ignore it as it seems very firm and precise just makes a slight noise when in shake the phone. I think the vol buttons may have a tad bit of play too...

NavyDude065

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
It's the crystal lens cover

It's the crystal camera lens cover. I placed my finger on the crystal cover and no more rattle. It's part of the design.

NavyDude065

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Lens Cover

It's the crystal camera lens cover. I placed my finger on the crystal cover and no more rattle. It's part of the design.

NavyDude065

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Lens Cover

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
If it is part of the design how come others don't rattle? I mean there is no rattle with my phone.

mindenjoe

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I took my phone into the store this afternoon and it ended up being a loose battery. After a quick visit into the back room, the iPhone came back with the battery reseated into the adhesive. No more thud and I'm a happy camper again!

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
US
im at the apple store and the lady that checked me in said it could be the vibration motor and its somewhat normal.... :confused:

zubins

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
Products with moving parts, e.g motors, speakers, autofocus camera lens and buttons will RATTLE if you shake them.

This is NORMAL.

Tomorrows lesson is titled 'How can i make myself accept that Apple Maps really is rubbish and stop living the lie'

my brothers shutter just stopped working. Im sure it had something to do with this rattle

wiivile

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
RATTLEGATE

there are many moving parts in the iphone. gyro. autofocus. etc. if you shake them, they will move.

Cali3350

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
RATTLEGATE

there are many moving parts in the iphone. gyro. autofocus. etc. if you shake them, they will move.

This is not about some rattling. Its about the variance, and the extent to which some are. Thats all.

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
US
Well i didnt think it was a big deal and the Genius that helped me let many of her co-workers listen to it too and they heard it over the loudness of the store :confused:
She went to the back to tighten the vibration motor or something and came back out with a replacement. She was like "omg it's not supposed to do that" i was like "oh...." lol. I took a nice long look at the replacement with my glasses on while everyone looked on amused but i didnt want ANY scuffs or blemishes. So yeah im back to square one i appreciate them being on it. One of the reasons why im an Apple fan girl :apple:

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
My phone came with 3 medium-sized dents (2 on the front chamfered edge and 1 on the rear chamfered edge). I went and got it swapped out for one that doesn't have any dents or scratches.

Unfortunately, the sleep/power button is a bit looser and does rattle when I shake the phone. It doesn't bother me, so I'm not going to try to swap it now.

wrecks

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Oahu
Yeh as posted already it's just the power button. Put pressure on it and shake the rattle noise will not be there.

reRESERVEDMD

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
It really isn't an issue. It's the camera optics inside the phone that's rattling. For auto focus and such...

I've replicated that on approximately 50 phones so far. I'm not concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.