Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyfliiboy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Just wanted to update.... I called Apple Care and opened a case.... told them everything I went through and they gave me a "repair number" which gave me the ability to go into the local Apple store and return the phone. The genius at the Apple store still felt the need to find some way to make it seem like I broke the phone. His response to me was " If I was going on vacation tomorrow I would not have done this" Rest assured he still new the situation I was in and probably felt like an *******. Got the new phone and its perfect!

You should have filed a complaint inside the store. Always ask for a manager when someone gives you a hard time. They have the final say of anything

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Why would he purposely break a phone he has been waiting impatiently for months?

How is anyone going to bend a phone like that anyway without snapping the glass and causing the paint to chip off?

He didn't break it on purpose. He accidentally sat on it while it was in his back pocket.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
At that point I would have asked for the manager and ask for him to be fired. Seriously how insulting. I'm glad you got your new phone finally!

Just wanted to update.... I called Apple Care and opened a case.... told them everything I went through and they gave me a "repair number" which gave me the ability to go into the local Apple store and return the phone. The genius at the Apple store still felt the need to find some way to make it seem like I broke the phone. His response to me was " If I was going on vacation tomorrow I would not have done this" Rest assured he still new the situation I was in and probably felt like an *******. Got the new phone and its perfect!

----------

If he sat on it the glass would break.

He didn't break it on purpose. He accidentally sat on it while it was in his back pocket.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Retail isn't hard... They hire just about any young hippie type person

Not true. Not with Apple (at least my local store). There are no young hippie types there. And there's actually a few older people working there (as in over 50 and at least one over 60). Apple standards are supposedly higher than other so-called 'retail.' I'm not sure about your store, but I've never seen people like this in this one.

And really, what happened to this forum? The accusations fly in EVERY post. Some of you assume that it's always the customers' fault. Just wait until you face an issue, there will be no one around to defend you.

Seriously, so the OP took his phone apart, gutted it, bent it, and put it back together and then tried to return it?!?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I work for a huge international company. After a meeting on Friday, we decided to track the employee experiences with iPhone 5, just for fun.

So far we have a massive number listed, yet not one that is bent. I find a condition like that very interesting. It will be fascinating to learn what caused it.

lamenramen

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Aluminum is not the ideal phone material. Because I have a dent in every single one of my macbook pros. It dents. It bends. I dislike it but I like the phone too much.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Well they use aluminum in baseball bats. It's just that apple uses cheap "aircraft grade" aluminum. I hope this isn't the stuff that's in our planes.

Aug 4, 2012
I mentioned bent iPhones weeks before launch

I KNEW it was a matter of time before the "bent" threads showed up. You can't make anything this thin out of inferior soft aluminum and to top it off make it longer adding to the leverage forces. Many people put their phones in their pockets, I'm one of them, and on occasion I forget and sit on the phone. My 4S is perfect and flat.
Just wait...There will be TONS of bent 5's. What a damn shame. Great job Mr. Cook and Mr Ive

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
I KNEW it was a matter of time before the "bent" threads showed up. You can't make anything this thin out of inferior soft aluminum and to top it off make it longer adding to the leverage forces. Many people put their phones in their pockets, I'm one of them, and on occasion I forget and sit on the phone. My 4S is perfect and flat.
Just wait...There will be TONS of bent 5's. What a damn shame. Great job Mr. Cook and Mr Ive

thank you!:D

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
This guy clearly isn't lying, I've seen at least 2 other people with the same thing, one of which has a multiple page thread on the same topic. You can't bend a phone like that without breaking the screen. This is a manufacturing defect and it's unfortunate that Apple won't recognize that.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Several times getting in the car and forgetting I had the phone in my back pocket, I periodically sit on my 4 with no ill effect. There is a threshold to be aware of when the aluminum body iPhone 5 is milled out in the name of thin and light. Notwithstanding, a person's weight and how solid the surface being sat on has something to do with damage occurring as well.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
it was an accident.
you placed it on the back pocket of your skinny jeans.
after a few minutes you sat down.
end of story.

+1. OP sat on it.

I just love how so many people in these forums always think Apple can do no wrong and always blame the customer for their damaged phones.

Oh he sat on it with it in his back pocket?

Do you remember a guy exploded a Samesung S3? He cooked the brand new phone in a microwave oven. Retail is very hard. :p

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Some people here need to look up the physical properties of aluminum before making fanboy-style accusations on the OP

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Some people here need to look up the physical properties of aluminum before making fanboy-style accusations on the OP

Exactly, i still lol big time when some major fanboy in here went as far to say anodized aluminum is stronger than stainless steel..... Makes you think that these picture is true lol

ara9yvyr.jpg

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Apple turned me down, so I went to the nearest verizon store, showed them the issue and they didnt have any in stock to replace but geared me towards the nearest store. The pic is what i just took to show you all how its lifted off of a flat surface. Also you can youtube bent iphone 5 to see another case of it.

WOW, I just got mine at 10am when they opened and my phone has the EXACT same issue. Buttons work but the phone frame is bent on the button side just enough to lift that edge off the table while all other corners are on the table. I am on hold calling the APPLE store where i picked it up. Will be REALLY TICKED if they say I did it.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
There is no way that these phones bend concave toward the screen without cracking that glass. That has to be pre-assembly damages. People that blame posters for causing damages are ridiculous.

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
US
You got the special edition with curved display, ala Galaxy Nexus.
LOL

Im confused on why you did not ask to speak with a manager to complain about that man's attitude and send an email to Apple :mad:

This guy clearly isn't lying, I've seen at least 2 other people with the same thing, one of which has a multiple page thread on the same topic. You can't bend a phone like that without breaking the screen. This is a manufacturing defect and it's unfortunate that Apple won't recognize that.

Seriously

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I agree with those that say this has to be a manufacturing defect. I can see thin alumninum bending but to have the glass bend too seems pretty impossible. My first thought was that FedEx did it but if both boxes were perfect that obviously was not the case. Glad you got a new one!

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
I received my new iphone5 from Verizon from fed ex on Saturday, opened it up and it was bent and the volume buttons were jammed. I took it the apple store in summit mall (Akron Ohio) and they told me they would not replace it and accused me of damaging the phone myself. The "genius" at the apple store told me that a phone like mine would not have passed apples production inspection. Now I'm stuck with a broken iphone5 that I waited forever for.

Yikes. That's the Apple Store I go to.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

I don't think they are lying either, but I have to point out that Gorilla Glass bends quite a bit. If you've ever seen any of the promo videos, it's pretty extreme how much it can bend without breaking. Sitting on it COULD bend it without breaking the glass if you did it right. But I'm not going to assume that's what happened to the OP.

Edit: Old video, but gets the point across...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ope6uViLcEY

----------

I work for a huge international company. After a meeting on Friday, we decided to track the employee experiences with iPhone 5, just for fun.

So far we have a massive number listed, yet not one that is bent. I find a condition like that very interesting. It will be fascinating to learn what caused it.

I work for a huge international company as well. Are these company issued phones? I can't imagine that many people having iPhone 5s already. I haven't seen anyone else in my company with one yet (although if I pull out our EAS logs I'm sure I'll find some).

Edit: Realized I had a report sent to me yesterday. Seeing 75 iPhone 5s connected to our mail servers so far. Not too bad. I was really surprised at how many people had already upgraded to iOS 6.

Funny thing, my far smaller Church, there were at least 4 of us on Sunday with one.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.