Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Post-release poll: black vs. white

• Total voters

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Now that the iPhone 5 has been released and many people have seen both colors in person, I wanna know your in-person post-release opinions of both colors. Before the phone was released, there seemed to be a 2:1 preference for black over white, but after release I want to know if this has changed.

I initially preferred black, thinking it looked way sleeker and more professional from online photos. But when I got it, I noticed the following:

1) The front smudges like crazy and it almost never looks clean
2) The anodization "slate" color scratches off really easily (scuff-gate)

I took a look at the white model in the Apple store and decided to go with white. It has no scuff issues since the aluminum is raw, and to me it always looks cleaner since fingerprints and smudges don't show up on the white. It looks a bit less professional, but on the plus side, it looks like an Apple product. The black one just looks like any other smartphone. For people with long-term Apple pride like me, I kinda like that the white one looks more "Apple". So, I'm going white.

Last edited:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Wow, it's neck and neck.

----------

Now that the iPhone 5 has been released and many people have seen both colors in person, I wanna know your in-person post-release opinions of both colors.

I initially preferred black, thinking it looked way sleeker and more professional from online photos. But when I got it, I noticed the following:

I took a look at the white model in the Apple store and decided to go with white. It has no scuff issues since the aluminum is raw, and to me it always looks cleaner since fingerprints and smudges don't show up on the white. It looks a bit less professional, but on the plus side, it looks like an Apple product. The black one just looks like any other smartphone. For people with long-term Apple pride like me, I kinda like that the white one looks more "Apple". So, I'm going white.

Well said. I ordered black and exchanged for white. Your reasons are exactly spot on. Plus, the slate back shows grease really badly.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
After having a black one for the weekend I do not regret it at all. I do not have any scuffing issues and the black does look more elegant and sleek.

No regrets! :)

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
This makes no sense. The front has oleophobic coating just like the last three generations and it's essentially self-cleaning if you wear it naked in your pants pocket.

So why does it always look smudged whenever I see it in person?

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
For all the same reasons I preferred a black 4s, thinking it looked way sleeker and more professional.

But when I got it, I noticed the the front smudges like crazy so I went with white. However the white screen when off smudges just as bad as the black.

For the 5 I went with black, and love the "slate" color.
Completely monolithic and monochromatic.

I have not noticed any scuffing but I have only had it for 3 days so time will tell.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next 20 days and see what Apple has to say.
If the coating starts to fail I'll swap it out.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

2) The anodization "slate" color scratches off really easily (scuff-gate).

News flash...The black anodization does not scratch off easily AT ALL. the whole "scuff gate" thing is just total BS. I understand that a lot of people received phones with damage to the band most likely from the manufacturing process. That's a different story. But saying that the black scratches off easily on a perfect phone is just plain false. The coating is extremely durable. If u drop it in the street you will undoubtly damage it. That goes for almost anything. But as far as normal use goes, it's going to be very hard to damage that band. In fact, Im not worried at all about my phone. I'm pretty positive that the coating is going to remain perfect for a long time.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Yeah, this is my first white iPhone - got a black every year since 2007 - and I gotta say, I LOVE the white and silver. Looks awesome.

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
Now that the iPhone 5 has been released and many people have seen both colors in person, I wanna know your in-person post-release opinions of both colors. Before the phone was released, there seemed to be a 2:1 preference for black over white, but after release I want to know if this has changed.

i drive a Fuji White Land Rover Range Rover HSE.. never thought it was "less professional":D
how about the Silver macbook air and the rest of the macbook pro line?

i bought the White/silver after owning a black 3GS and 4.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I dunno, I just looked at the ones in the Apple store and the black ones looked smudgy while the white ones looked pristine.

I'm sure the blacks attract more (smudgy) hands than the whites, as they look "new and different" whereas the white iP5 looks basically the same as the white 4S except from the back.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have the black one and have zero regrets about it.
Plus myy 4S was white so I wanted something different this time around.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Originally voted for black and sticking with black.

The issue I have with white is all the lint/dirt that gets stuck and trapped between the home button and outer edges of the glass. Looks horrible. The moment you try to use something to clean it out, you just push it deeper in between the crevices.

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted

I got white and love it. First white iphone ever, but its in a black otterbox defender, lol.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
I have the white model (I'm a boy ;) ). This thing is just... Don't know to explain.
At first when seeing the leaked pictures a few months ago, I found it repulsive. Now that I have it in my hands, I think it is the most beautiful design Apple has ever done. The white and metal fit perfectly together, and I've had no problems so far (flawless, no light leaks, no dead pixels, no scuffs). I am loving it :D

K0P Bacon

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Paint it black...

Such a good song by the way. I have yet to hear a good remake of it. Yes, I ordered a black 32gb iPhone 5. However, if I knew that there was a better chance in getting the White 32gb iPhone 5 faster, then I would get it in a heart beat. My phone would be 98% of the time in is case. Plus I am willing to put Zagg Shield all over it so it will stay nice.

Alas, I am still on backorder and hoping the ordering gods from ATT will have mercy on me. After all, this would be my first ever smart phone, never asked my parents for one or for a cell phone at all period. Also, I am unable to go to any place to get an iPhone 5 from the store.

So even though I am writing this in wrong thread...please backorder gods have mercy on this lowly human. Its bad enough NHL is under lockout and my football team sucks.

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
I have the white model (I'm a boy ;) ). This thing is just... Don't know to explain.
At first when seeing the leaked pictures a few months ago, I found it repulsive. Now that I have it in my hands, I think it is the most beautiful design Apple has ever done. The white and metal fit perfectly together, and I've had no problems so far (flawless, no light leaks, no dead pixels, no scuffs). I am loving it :D

Congratulations! you just became a man!:D
and that thing.. you don't know how to explain? there's a word for it Exquisite.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I have always gone with black, but this time around, after reading about the anodizing longevity, I decided to go with white. I have to say, I love the white and silver contrast. And I won't have to obsess about scratching and wearing anodizing.

The black is nice but pedestrian. I actually really like the white now, it looks classy and it pops more than the black. When it comes time to replace my iPad 2 with a 3, I'm going to get it in white as well.

BigRingIt

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I had the black one for the afternoon and found it to be too boring looking and exchanged it for a white one with my friend .

The white is more elegant with the shiney silver bevel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.