Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
I hear the laugher and criticism already. I'm having fun but am serious too. Just need to find feet a bit slimmer and smaller than 3/8 inch. But these aren't bad.

UPDATE: see post 14 for the smaller size stick on bumpers I found.

Better than full back screen protectors that smudge or look bad on metal iPhone 5.

Protects back and phone edges on 4,4S and 5 from scratches.
Especially so when laying on table. Protects edges or bevel.
Easy on and removes without marks
$2 for a dozen. Cheap. Home Depot or hardware store.
Tried 3 in a triangle and the 4 below.
Gives a bit of grip: phone less slippery in hand or on a table.
In use, hand hides the feet. Gives grip.
Allows good cooling airflow when phone is in the table.
Cheap enough to remove as desired and put back on.

My aluminum MacBook Pro has them,why not my iPhones. No material is meant to be sliding on surfaces without problems.

Wish Apple made small metal feet bumps on back of the 5. Should put some on my iPad also. ;)

a3e6aju7.jpg
9y7eza9e.jpg
ge2ynu4a.jpg
u9u3aha6.jpg

Last edited:

josh1985

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I hear the laugher and criticism already. I'm having fun but am serious too. Just need to find feet a bit slimmer and smaller than 3/8 inch. But these aren't bad.

Better than full back screen protectors that smudge or look bad on metal iPhone 5.

My aluminum MacBook Pro has them,why not my iPhones. No material is meant to be sliding on surfaces without problems.

Wish Apple made small metal feet bumps on back of the 5. Should put some on my iPad also. ;)

ImageImageImageImage

nice job, man. BTW, I saw you wearing glasses from the reflction of ...

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Shows the bumper height. On the look out for a smaller profile, but this not bad. Great shock absorber when laying down.

azehyre3.jpg

yvate2a5.jpg

Last edited:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Why not have one in the top right next to/opposite the camera?

Feel free to experiment! 4 is enough to protect the lens. It's stable as it is.

I had two at the bottom and one below the Apple logo: 3 total. Worked but did rock left/right if pressed on. Not a big deal really though.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
you couldnt make them smaller? does not make the phone look good imo.
a back screen protecter is enough protection to raised the back off a table so it wont scratch.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
you couldnt make them smaller? does not make the phone look good imo.
a back screen protecter is enough protection to raised the back off a table so it wont scratch.

It's a proof of concept now. Didn't spend time finding the best, just picked up the smallest in Home Depot.

I've had back screens. They have drawbacks but work. They smudge,dull the black glass appearance. Expensive and get bubbles. Plus I don't think they will go down smooth on the rougher metal back if the iPhone 5.

Anyhow the jury is out. Looking for a thinner one. But this is cheap and has some good points as in the OP

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
how'd you stick it? is there a sticker?

It was purchased in a home good store, in the section that has furniture feet protectors. It's called a 'bumper' and comes in a blister pack of 12...just peel off each one, and it has a low tack adhesive on the back.

In the meantime, I found a smaller version, also by 3M. What is shown in the photos is about 10mm diameter x 4 mm high (0.4" x 0.16 " high), clear and made from polyurethane.

I found a source of smaller ones, that I just ordered. Again 3M 'Bumpon', SJ5302.
The size is 7.9mm x 2.15 mm ( 0.312" x 0.085"). A package of 96 costs $6.67 ;)
Postage is about the same.

source is shop3m.com or http://www.shop3m.com/70006352689.html

This will give a lower profile and work well. Here is the 3m data sheet for all sizes and shapes...its a made for purpose bumper/foot...just like the one on your laptop!

I'd recommend, if uncertain, start with the hardware larger size first.

It is actually quite nice...on the desktop in my office, its sturdy, like a pocket calculator, slightly above the desk surface, no sliding around. And I enjoy the bare phone profile. And it has a nice bump grip, so that I feel safer with a naked phone. I'm curious if the smaller ones work as well. I will see.

dk206

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
London

ImageImageImageImage

I was reading and was hoping this was going to be awesome

Scrolls down
Read 2$ for a dozen - was like huh?

Scrolls down
Ahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahah
Sorry design, taste is subjective but this is just hilarious
Lol!! IPhone deserves better

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Well got the smaller 3M bumpers in. These work very well.

Surprises me how much I'm liking this. Doesn't bother me at all and the slight rise above the table makes for easy pick up and makes the phone float above the surface. Aligned the top two at a diagonal so my index finger goes across both when talking on the phone.

Will be going on my black 5 in a few weeks. They come off easily and restick. Can move them around to please. Plus having 96 of them for a few bucks....they are disposable.

Side view showing thinner profile of smaller 3M button.
da8etuje.jpg
a7upujad.jpg

Last edited:

offcamber

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
USA
This has raised $523,010.68 on Kickstarter!

All kidding aside, I think this is funny and effective at the same time.

Nice work.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
This has raised $523,010.68 on Kickstarter!

All kidding aside, I think this is funny and effective at the same time.

Nice work.

Lol :) thanks!

I figure this will keep the back edge and back side of my black iPhone 5 clean and scuff free. Plus the bumps give some grip and a place for my fingers. It's very effective on a desk when using the phone as a calculator etc.

It's important to find truly clear ones not translucent ones.

I hate cases but use them always since I need grip and back protection: Apple's designs don't give that in the iPad,iPods, and iPhones. This is my minimalists solution. If the black on my iPhone 5 still gets scuffed over time , I will use a case for cover up in the future. Why put a whole case in just to protect the back?

They are also very effective for my iPad.

marikian

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
thanks for the idea

I went to Home Depot and picked up a small pack of the smallest bumpon I could find. On the IPhone 5 it works like a charm. My wife thinks I got the idea off of Pinterest nope MacRumors for the win.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
did this with my iphone 4 when it came out 2 and a half years ago. If you are strictly looking to keep the back from scratching, a screen protector is much more effective.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
did this with my iphone 4 when it came out 2 and a half years ago. If you are strictly looking to keep the back from scratching, a screen protector is much more effective.

For reasons listed in the OP, the bumpons are much nicer than the back screen protector. Esp. for protecting the edges on pickup/lay down. Plus they don't smudge!

I went to Home Depot and picked up a small pack of the smallest bumpon I could find. On the IPhone 5 it works like a charm. My wife thinks I got the idea off of Pinterest nope MacRumors for the win.

Yay! You're welcome. I really like them, glad that another has tried. Do you have a Photo? I assume you placed them just below the glass part on the metal back? My iPhone 5 will be here in a few weeks and will use it then.

Having tried the Home Depot route, you may really like the small 3M bumpons I found later. Very clear, and small.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
small bumpers on iPhone 5

Here are the smallest bumpers I found (3M Bumpons), on my iPhone 5. Easy to take on/off with no residue. I use them from time to time, but also use the Switcheasy Tones case.

The 2nd photos shows the nice 'lay on table' design.

Attachments

• IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3547.JPG
    IMG_3547.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 164
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.