Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Apple are beginning to look really stupid over this.

Their maps are embarassingly bad - if they were on an Android phone they would be a laughing stock.

Really - Duncaster?

It reeks of arrogance

Nah. Already you see people that are actually using the maps saying it works. Eventually that will drown out the anti-maps propaganda campaign.

It's funny now, but it wont last, and will be completely out of steam within a couple of months, and that is just one of the many Hell's Google has nightmares about. Just wait until the app developers get their teeth into maps.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
For those waiting for a google maps app: why? It can't because you rely on it to find your way to the exclusion of all other options. It might be OK while you have a network. But as soon as the network drops out you get no more maps.

If I was relying on a turn by turn app, I would (and did) get a proper navigation app where the maps are already on your phone. Like tomtom,navigon etc.

By the way, the google maps is pretty ordinary in a lot of country I travel too quite regularly, as it just doesn't get enough crowdsourced data. I haven't been there yet with the new apple maps, but I am sure it will be bad too. i am sure though, that eventually it will be comparable.

But seeing as I can only use both products when planning the trip (because there are no cell towers within cooee when I actually get there) I need a real turn by turn map with maps already on the device.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

No proof yet huh?? We were all fooled.

I just use Google Earth.... Ya, no turn-by-turn, but at least everthing is there.

By the way, when Google does realease the app to the store, do u think they may omitt turn-by-turn and Siri intergration?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Nah. Already you see people that are actually using the maps saying it works. Eventually that will drown out the anti-maps propaganda campaign.

And there are other people using it who say it doesn't work properly. The app has got promise but Apple need to fix the core mapping data for everyone before you can say "it works".

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
I don't know why so many people are defending Apple Maps based on their success on a few common routes they take. It's not like other people who are reporting problems are making things up, the inaccuracies and errors are there...refusing to acknowledge it won't make the app any better in the long run. Hoping Apple will eventually pull this off, but no point denying that it's just inadequate as a full release map app right now.

Next thing you know, people will be defending the lack of map detail as intentional "minimalist apple look". :rolleyes:

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia

It's funny now, but it wont last, and will be completely out of steam within a couple of months, and that is just one of the many Hell's Google has nightmares about. Just wait until the app developers get their teeth into maps.
Quite so. using google search and maps on iphone were the major source* of crowdsourced information to tailor mobile advertising for google (where they get the mobile revenue).

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Yes, but Jobs said a lot of stuff, even sometimes to the point of totally contradicting himself months later.

That said of course, I have no doubt he had some real hate towards Google and/or Schmidt.

When did he contradict himself, can you please clarify this cause i've never ever seen him contradict himself about anything. I saw all his video's and read all the blogposts, and his biography. No contradiction anywhere.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'm all for Apple improving things in the long run, but till that day comes, we can use something else.

Does't affect me, coz i use TomTom app anyway, but it would affect those, or some reason they like using Apple's default stuff.

Howver, at the end if the day, the wrost thing that could also happen now is "not being an app".

*shrugs*

All these rumors have got me on edge...sorry...

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Apples courtcase against samsung has done us a lot of hurt with new mapping software that isn't on par with googles, i hope they accept google maps and don't do another adobe flash.

-A-P-M-

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Those people who are waiting for Google maps... you can buy Android and you will have Google Maps, Google Earth etc ;) Apple didn't choose Google maps for iOS6, so Apple users should accept that IMO.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
We all know that Steve Jobs was still around, that he wouldnt have released Apple Maps with iOS6.

We don't know that. You may have faith, you may believe, you may have an opinion, you may surmise, but you can't know something that didn't happen.

And it's never a true statement when you start with "we all." Some here have stated that Steve Jobs would have released Apple Maps with iOS 6, since he did release the iPhone 4 with antenna problems, and he did allow FCPX to be released. Since these people "know" something different, your assertion that we all agree is false by definition.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I'm sure I heard this a few days ago - either way, it's better not to rush it out.

Just like Apple have done with their Map app!

----------

Think of it this way... If people start jumping ship on iOS because the maps sucks, Google might win a few extra Android sales. They really have no reason to make an maps app for iOS. What benefit would they have?

Four of my friends have upgraded to iOS6 and are now looking at ditching Apple. One has ordered a Galaxy S3, one has cancelled his iPhone 5 order and the other two are waiting to have a play with the S3 that's on its way. Another friend (albeit a Facebook one) has posted a scathing attack and is asking how to go back to iOS5 to which there are a lot of similar replies.

"iOS 6 has knocked me back, in as much as two working applications have disappeared upon upgrade. YouTube has gone without a trace and with no warning and the previous map application, which worked well has been replaced with a very poor imitation!
Anyone know how I get back to the old maps?"

It's a tiny, tiny proportion, but in my world at least, the tide is changing and people are at least beginning to look past Apple to see what else there is.

Last edited by a moderator:

elvis12

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
The pictures say it all.
And the search function is terrible.

Attachments

• bilde 1.PNG
    bilde 1.PNG
    180 KB · Views: 152
  • bilde 2.PNG
    bilde 2.PNG
    345.1 KB · Views: 121

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
They dont need to release a app, some might say they going to do it on purpose :) lol because google is "evil" and apple is the victim....

Either way its not gonna be the same, the deep system integration its no longer possible.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011

I'm sure it works... if you happen to live in an area with good quality maps. It's my understanding this is mostly the case in the USA, but here in Europe you can find countless places with very low quality or outdated maps. In my area Apple Maps is a disaster and definately not up to par with Google Maps.

I expect Apple to improve their maps in the future, it's a long term investment for them, but they definately rushed it. The end result is that right now they offer a very low quality experience compared to the competition.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

It's funny now, but it wont last, and will be completely out of steam within a couple of months, and that is just one of the many Hell's Google has nightmares about.
I for one don't share your optimism.

If long time Apple users like me are thinking about switching to Android or Windows because we've lost a basic functionality that we depend on, what will people who have only owned an iPhone for a couple of years do?

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Over 100 million downloads of IOS 6. Charge $2.99 for the app. Get at least half of the people, maybe more. Mucho Dinero.

At "free" you'd get half the users, maybe. I have the google search app, though I rarely use it.

Of those users who would download it for free, many wouldn't buy it for $2.99 or even $.99. They'd say,
  • "How dare Google charge for something I can get for free using the web app! It's just Greed."
  • "I don't want Apple to get 30% of that money!"
  • "All the apps on my iPhone are free. I'm not breaking a perfect streak for this."
  • "Come to think of it, I don't use Maps that much, and Apple's version is getting better."

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Funny how people can easily be brought into sides . yes you're experience is no different the anyone else so you know it all.

Of course it wont last, people will just look for alternatives, as it still is fact that for a lot of people imaps lost a lot of its usability and functionality . When or if that will return is the question . Google nightmares? The incredible bad rap apple got because it SWITCHED from a google app was a dream come true? Apple screwed up from google perspective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.