Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
UK
To those who love to rock their iphone 5 naked, how are they holding up so far? Any scuffs or scratches?

I'm thinking of reserving for store pick up, but can't decide on which colour. Saying that though, I'll probably add Applecare anyway.

skywavesli

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2008
Been carrying my black iPhone 5 naked because I haven't been able to get a case yet. I've been careful with it so far, and there's no scruffs or scratches.

paddylaz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
So far so good.....usually I allot a pocket just for the phone, and have keys etc in the others. So far not a scratch. Flawless.

To be fair though this is still the 'honeymoon period.' Once things become more casual and I'm not cleaning it manically every second like a newborn baby, likely it will start doing the 'pub table' kind of rounds and then we'll have to see......

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
UK
So far so good. I liking these reports of unblemished nakedness :)

snapper07

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
mines been in a pocket with coins for a morning and it has lots of tiny nicks in the bezel, surprisingly on the bit where the aluminium meets the glass on the back.

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
4 days on, mine is immaculate too. Been careful what to place the phone on, no sliding across surfaces etc. But no blemishes at all so far. It sits in my pocket most the time, which is a dedicated phone pocket.

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I thought that the slate on the rear of the black variant would easily mark. Is this not the case then?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Naked and in perfect condition still. I think some people experienced bad manufacturing, but most of the people who got one perfect put of the box, have stayed that way

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I think many treated their iPhone 5 as they treated their 4 or 4s but the thing to remember is... Glass is hard, like really hard and aluminium while light is very VERY soft.

Steve Jobs selected Stainless steel on the iP4 because he said it looks beautiful as it wears. Aluminium not so much.

It will scratch and it will scuff but unless you wrap your entire life in plastic this will be the case. Do you put those plastic covers on your sofa?

I used to use screen protectors and cases and do anything I could to protect my phone, the problem is it doesnt look like the beautiful phone you once had anymore. Naked it is for me and my black model still looks good. Just dont go putting it in your pocket with keys or loose change.

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
UK
yeah I know what you mean. When I got my ipod touch then iphone 3G after that, I wrapped them up with screen protectors. After nearly a year of owning the 3G though, I removed the screen protector as I disliked the feel when using the phone.

On my current iP4 I only have a film protector on the rear and metal band and also a bumper. The screen has been naked and doesn't have a mark on it.

With my iP5 I just want to enjoy using it, but also rock it how it's meant to be - NEKKID!!!

I had to return my pre-ordered black iPhone 5 as it has a number of dints in the metal band exposing the metal underneath :(

I have since ordered a a white one, but I think I prefer the black. I am thinking of reserving them in store and heading down in the week to have a look and buy one. Too impatient to wait 4 weeks for online order :)

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
Aaaarrghhhhhh.

It was all perfect until last night, then my iPhone landed ON A CARPET and a tiny bit of a loose stone scuffed the living hell out of it.

I now fully understand the problems, bit of a joke frankly. Going to the Apple Store today to give them hell.

I want a swapout and a white replacement.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Aaaarrghhhhhh.

It was all perfect until last night, then my iPhone landed ON A CARPET and a tiny bit of a loose stone scuffed the living hell out of it.

I now fully understand the problems, bit of a joke frankly. Going to the Apple Store today to give them hell.

Maybe don't tell them you dropped it on a stone. :rolleyes:

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
Naked and blemish free......and I'm a farmer so it gets punished! Give it a few weeks and it will get scratched but i don't really care as long as it works! To many anal people on here! ;)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Aaaarrghhhhhh.

So let me make sure I've got this right: your phone shipped fine, you dropped it and scratched it, but it's somehow Apple's fault, so now you want a replacement and a different color on top of that?

Last edited by a moderator:

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Naked is going well, no issues so far. I did put on a screen protector and almost always place my phone screen down.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I have never used a case on any of my phones. Got my black iPhone 5 on launch day and have had it in my pocket nonstop. Not a single scratch or scuff mark, though I do not have anything else in that pocket for obvious reasons. I fully expect it to scratch or scuff a bit over time, but I'd rather use the phone how I like it than try very hard to keep it mint. I do the same with my car: I don't park in stupid places where I know it'll get dinged up, but I don't go out of my way to park alone, etc.

At any rate, I'm more pleased by the fact that it's very durable against drops!

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
No case on mine, got it on friday. Nothing wrong with it so far. No scratches or scuffs yet.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
No problems at all yet, not a blemish anywhere (white model), I'm not stupid so I don't carry it in my pocket with coins or keys (just like I didn't carry my 4 with coins).

In a pocket with a handful of coins and any phone on the market will end up with scratches or nicks.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Aaaarrghhhhhh.

yeah, that is definitely your fault, but at the same time they do nick really easy. I have seen a few drop videos and one drop on concrete to the black makes it look like hell. With the 4/4S you could drop it and the metal wouldn't look too bad, but with the 5 you are foooked. Granted we all should know and expect this....going naked is a risk I am willing to take.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Aaaarrghhhhhh.

so you are going to give them hell because you dropped it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.