Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netddos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Sigh...I don't know what happened...but iCloud deleted all my contacts and PUSHED EMPTY Contact list down to ALL MY DEVICES....

I DON"T HAVE ANY CONTACTS NOW.....

PLEASE HELP...IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN RECOVER MY CONTACTS?

I have iMAC, Macbook Air, and iPhone 4s..

All got pushed and have NOTHING ON the address book app...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You should be able to restore them from a Time Machine backup of either your Air or iMac.

Just go into your Address Book on your Mac, and hit the Time Machine icon up on the menu bar.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-06 at 9.35.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-06 at 9.35.17 PM.png
    832.7 KB · Views: 1,856

netddos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
I don't have Time Machine enabled :(

PLEASE HELP ME GUYS...THIS IS YEARS AND YEARS WORTH OF CONTACT LIST... :(

I think this happened because I recently sold my iPhone 4s to someone else on eBay..the buyer must've screwed up something.. :(:(:(:(

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

Ugh. That's exactly what Time Machine is for -- saving your butt when crap like this happens.

If you have an iPhone backup from before the contacts disappeared, you might be able to try restoring that. I don't know if that will work or not, but you can try.

netddos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Ugh. That's exactly what Time Machine is for -- saving your butt when crap like this happens.

If you have an iPhone backup from before the contacts disappeared, you might be able to try restoring that. I don't know if that will work or not, but you can try.

ac35uf.png

This is how my itunes look right now... any chance of salvaging??

netddos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
this reminds me...

i had a iphone 4 that had all my contacts SYNCED to my computer before..

but i sold that phone away so i don't have it anymore..

is there anyway to extract contacts from that?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you go into iTunes Preferences > Devices and see a backup from that device listed, maybe you'll have more options?

I think there are apps that let you explore backups, but I've never used one before. Wonder if you could restore that backup to your current iPhone?

netddos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
If you go into iTunes Preferences > Devices and see a backup from that device listed, maybe you'll have more options?

I think there are apps that let you explore backups, but I've never used one before. Wonder if you could restore that backup to your current iPhone?

Yes it has my iPhone 4 backup in January....but I no longer have this iPhone 4 in possession........ is there ANY way to extract contact info from this?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I don't understand how the person who bought your 4S could have screwed anything up. Shouldn't all of your information have been removed from the phone? Do you erase and restore to factory settings before selling?

netddos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
I don't understand how the person who bought your 4S could have screwed anything up. Shouldn't all of your information have been removed from the phone? Do you erase and restore to factory settings before selling?

then how else could you explain my icloud contact list becoming empty overnight when I've done nothing...

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Phone apple they can restore them from there end!

netddos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Phone apple they can restore them from there end!

for reals? where do i call?

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

Yes for real MobileMe deleted all my contacts once and they restored them.

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
The person you sold the phone to couldn't of done anything to your contacts. They can only delete them off of the phone they have, not remotely on the one you have now. I would either call the number already listed or retore from the January backup. It doesn't matter if you have a 4S and it's from a 4.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

I think this happened because I recently sold my iPhone 4s to someone else on eBay..the buyer must've screwed up something.. :(:(:(:(

Only if you did not properly restore the phone and remove your iCloud account from it etc.....if you did not, you only have yourself to blame!

bbartlette1

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
icloud deleted contacts

netddos,
did you ever find a solution? if not did you look at: settings, mail, contacts, import SIM Contacts. Not sure if this would apply to your situation

edacetiner

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
İcloud deleted mu contacts. I do not understand why. This is unacceptable they should not be able to delete anything without consulting.

I cannpr do anything...ı do mot habe backup. How is it possible icloud deletes contacts? I need urgent help... Any suggestion on how o can restore?

thirteenthree

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
İcloud deleted mu contacts. I do not understand why. This is unacceptable they should not be able to delete anything without consulting.

I cannpr do anything...ı do mot habe backup. How is it possible icloud deletes contacts? I need urgent help... Any suggestion on how o can restore?

Yep. I'm :pissssssed: right now, icloud decided to punish me for not wanting an account that ill never be able to cancel or delete, by deleting my notes, contacts, ******* if i know what else. I'm downgrading to snow leopard and apple can suck it.

ozgunakcay

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
I guess u set up one of your devices as a "new device" but then signed in to icloud from that device and made a backup when there is nothing on your device. That screwed your icloud backup. Is that right?

Last edited:

ozgunakcay

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012

Edacim icloud senin iznin olmadan silmez hicbirseyi, senin bi sekilde onayini almistir ama sen anlamamissindir. Uzerine alinma. OK

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
This is exactly why I'm not using iCloud. I tried it once, it wiped my entire calendar, I restored from Time Machine, and it wiped it again. It kept wiping it and every time I disabled iCloud and restored from Time Machine, it turned iCloud back on. I don't know what I did but it was extremely complicated and I finally managed. Never EVER turning iCloud on ever again! Who knows what that thing will do to your data.

Don't you have a backup of your iPhone? iTunes backs up your iPhone every time you sync it, I'd think that backup should contain your contact list. If you can restore to it, or extract the contacts from it somehow…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.