Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
yeah, that is definitely your fault, but at the same time they do nick really easy. I have seen a few drop videos and one drop on concrete to the black makes it look like hell. With the 4/4S you could drop it and the metal wouldn't look too bad, but with the 5 you are foooked. Granted we all should know and expect this....going naked is a risk I am willing to take.

I disagree. Our 2 black have had no issues. There's no evidence yet that all black iP5s are "foooked". What we have seen is a manufacturing/shipping issue that has resulted in a bunch of people getting jacked out of the box but there's very little evidence of a systemic problem with the iP5's design.

My iPhone 4's silver band got scuffed to hell by the first case I ever put on it and dinged to ***** when I dropped it on concrete (as expected). It was a miracle the glass didn't shatter. I'll take a ding or scuff in the back and sides of the new one over broken glass any day.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Aaaarrghhhhhh.

It was all perfect until last night, then my iPhone landed ON A CARPET and a tiny bit of a loose stone scuffed the living hell out of it.

I now fully understand the problems, bit of a joke frankly. Going to the Apple Store today to give them hell.

I want a swapout and a white replacement.

I dropped mine ON A PILLOW and a tiny wood chipper ate it up. Apple blows!

quanb24

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
Perfect no scratches or nuffin still might get a case I see how things look towards the end of the week

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
So let me make sure I've got this right: your phone shipped fine, you dropped it and scratched it, but it's somehow Apple's fault, so now you want a replacement and a different color on top of that?

Your entitlement is stuff Mitt Romney secret videos are made of. (I realize you probably don't get that, but you can look it up.)

Let me get this straight.

Yes, my phone shipped ok (actually there was a scuff worthy of swappage but I forgave Apple).

I dropped the phone, yep, my fault.

On a carpet. You realise that a carpet is a carpet. From about 1 foot. And the phone scuffed to hell. On a carpet. Woolen little carpet that contained a tiny little stone from the bottom of a shoe. Not my shoe, I remove them at the door. A carpet.

Realise that I paid £600 for my iPhone. I expect better.

Apple builds that phone for $199. I pay 4 times that. Yep, I'm "entitled" to a product with "legendary build quality" - consumer rights.

The irony is that you're one of the 47%, you probably think Antennagate wasn't real or that an expensive "high grade aluminium" smartphone should chip to hell and we should all just deal with it.

(Thankfully Apple don't agree, they've agreed a full swap out, and to ship a white one instead).

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

Yes, my phone shipped ok (actually there was a scuff worthy of swappage but I forgave Apple).

On a carpet. You realise that a carpet is a carpet. From about 1 foot. And the phone scuffed to hell. On a carpet. Woolen little carpet that contained a tiny little stone from the bottom of a shoe. Not my shoe, I remove them at the door. A carpet.

Apple builds that phone for $199. I pay 4 times that. Yep, I'm "entitled" to a product with "legendary build quality" - consumer rights.

The irony is that you're one of the 47%, you probably think Antennagate wasn't real or that an expensive "high grade aluminium" smartphone should chip to hell and we should all just deal with it.

(Thankfully Apple don't agree, they've agreed a full swap out, and to ship a white one instead).

define scuffed to hell? you yourself said it hit a stone in your carpet, so maybe you should keep your house clean, is it apple's fault your carpet has rocks in it?

if you think you should get better for your money why are you exchanging it for another one? what happens if you drop that one and the same thing happens?

I think if you don't make a claim to apple about a scuff on your phone within a day of receiving the phone you shouldn't be entitled to a replacement.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
define scuffed to hell? you yourself said it hit a stone in your carpet, so maybe you should keep your house clean, is it apple's fault your carpet has rocks in it?

if you think you should get better for your money why are you exchanging it for another one? what happens if you drop that one and the same thing happens?

I think if you don't make a claim to apple about a scuff on your phone within a day of receiving the phone you shouldn't be entitled to a replacement.

I think he means he was stoned and threw it on the carpet. :)

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
I thought that the slate on the rear of the black variant would easily mark. Is this not the case then?

Not a mark on my launch day black (week 33) 32gb. Naked as a baby and staying that way. While I don't toss it around like a wrench in a tool box I'm not crazy protective with it either. I was nervous after the reports but my experience has been just the opposite and I'm over the ultra cautious phase with it already and just USE it.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
no scuffs are any damages yet. mine was 99,9% flawless out of the box. but man i've been careful not touching it with more than 3 fingers :D

sterile-doctor.jpg%3Fw%3D400

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/like-jeans-some-tech-gear-is-b-146425

Looks cool to me...... but yea, dont want mine to look like that!

I think many treated their iPhone 5 as they treated their 4 or 4s but the thing to remember is... Glass is hard, like really hard and aluminium while light is very VERY soft.

Steve Jobs selected Stainless steel on the iP4 because he said it looks beautiful as it wears. Aluminium not so much.

It will scratch and it will scuff but unless you wrap your entire life in plastic this will be the case. Do you put those plastic covers on your sofa?

I used to use screen protectors and cases and do anything I could to protect my phone, the problem is it doesnt look like the beautiful phone you once had anymore. Naked it is for me and my black model still looks good. Just dont go putting it in your pocket with keys or loose change.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
So let me make sure I've got this right: your phone shipped fine, you dropped it and scratched it, but it's somehow Apple's fault, so now you want a replacement and a different color on top of that?

Your entitlement is stuff Mitt Romney secret videos are made of. (I realize you probably don't get that, but you can look it up.)

I'm not sure I get your point, it shouldn't get scratched that easily IMO so I agree, take it back. I wish we could leave politics out of this crap.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not sure I get your point, it shouldn't get scratched that easily IMO so I agree, take it back. I wish we could leave politics out of this crap.

it hit a rock, it's not like it hit pure carpet and scratched. and if you think one scratched that easily why return it for another, it will do the same thing.

why should they replace something that is his fault? if you throw a rock at your car and it scratches the paint are you going to take it back to the dealer and say repaint this?

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Ive never had a single cover, screen protector or any other cheap crap on any iPhone and I've owned the first one since the minute it was released in the UK.

Why on earth ruin Jonny Ives expertise by wrapping it in some cheap ugly Chinese crap? I never understand people who are obsessed with cases, you're worried about a scratch yet your phone looks like ***** the entire time you own it!

Use it the way its supposed to be used.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Ive never had a single cover, screen protector or any other cheap crap on any iPhone and I've owned the first one since the minute it was released in the UK.

Why on earth ruin Jonny Ives expertise by wrapping it in some cheap ugly Chinese crap? I never understand people who are obsessed with cases, you're worried about a scratch yet your phone looks like ***** the entire time you own it!

Use it the way its supposed to be used.

Jonny probably gets to pull a new one out of a box everyday;)

tek1972

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
Long Island
Mine went into an otter box defender the second it was opened for two reasons.

1. I'll be selling it for $450 to buy my early upgrade for the 5s and would like to keep it like new.

2. I have a 2 year old, need I say more? Lol

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Realize that my platinum wedding band (or most jewelry for that matter) cost far more than your phone, and only one year in, is scratched and scuffed to all hell and back. I expect that from metal.

You should have too. You dropped it. Your problem.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I've been babying my black (it gets it's own pocket, etc, etc) and I've got about a dozen bare spots on the bezel. They're tiny, but they're there.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Aaaarrghhhhhh.

It was all perfect until last night, then my iPhone landed ON A CARPET and a tiny bit of a loose stone scuffed the living hell out of it.

I now fully understand the problems, bit of a joke frankly. Going to the Apple Store today to give them hell.

I want a swapout and a white replacement.

I backed my car into a pole and the paint job got scratched. I'm taking this lemon back to the dealer!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I don't see how people use their iPhone without a case when they are outside. I'll be too scared to drop it then have to pay another $300ish for a screen.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Looks fine to me. I plan to get a back-protector like a Zagg Shield or something at the most. I had an iPhone 4 for 2 years without a screen protector, scratch free!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I disagree. Our 2 black have had no issues. There's no evidence yet that all black iP5s are "foooked". What we have seen is a manufacturing/shipping issue that has resulted in a bunch of people getting jacked out of the box but there's very little evidence of a systemic problem with the iP5's design.

My iPhone 4's silver band got scuffed to hell by the first case I ever put on it and dinged to ***** when I dropped it on concrete (as expected). It was a miracle the glass didn't shatter. I'll take a ding or scuff in the back and sides of the new one over broken glass any day.

I think no matter how well it is holding up, if we drop them on concrete they are going to chip and that white/silver will bleed through like a bastard!

----------

I don't see how people use their iPhone without a case when they are outside. I'll be too scared to drop it then have to pay another $300ish for a screen.

applecare+....and an iphone screen is usually around a $100 repair from a local shop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.