Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SunnyStudioNeo

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
I've been using my iPhone 4's Bookbook case, to hold 90% of my iPhone 5. So far so good. Eventually I hope TwelveSouth will come up with the wallet case for iPhone 5; I hate carrying a phone And a wallet separately.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I haven't gotten new iPhone yet, but wife had a baby yesterday. As I was holding him I noticed a 1 millimeter birthmark behind his left ear. I immediately found doctor and demanded a refund. No way I could live with baby knowing it was there.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Let me get this straight.

Yes, my phone shipped ok (actually there was a scuff worthy of swappage but I forgave Apple).

I dropped the phone, yep, my fault.

On a stone. You realise that a stone is a stone. From about 1 foot. And the phone scuffed to hell. On a stone. Woolen little carpet that contained a tiny little stone from the bottom of a shoe. Not my shoe, I remove them at the door. A stone.

Realise that I paid £600 for my iPhone. I expect better.

Apple builds that phone for $199. I pay 4 times that. Yep, I'm "entitled" to a product with "legendary build quality" - consumer rights.

The irony is that you're one of the 47%, you probably think Antennagate wasn't real or that an expensive "high grade aluminium" smartphone should chip to hell and we should all just deal with it.

(Thankfully Apple don't agree, they've agreed a full swap out, and to ship a white one instead).

Fixed.

You keep focusing on the fact you dropped it on the carpet, yet seem to be completely ignorant of the fact you actually dropped it on a stone.

Why aren't you focusing so much on the stone you dropped it on?

Quit bitching and acting like a little girl. You screwed it up, deal with it. Nobody in this country knows how to take personal responsibility for anything, it's always someone else's fault.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I haven't gotten new iPhone yet, but wife had a baby yesterday. As I was holding him I noticed a 1 millimeter birthmark behind his left ear. I immediately found doctor and demanded a refund. No way I could live with baby knowing it was there.

Another idiotic analogy.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Isn't the scratching / scuffing issue just physics? Most things can be scratched...

Do you all inspect new cars with a magnifying glass and return it weeks later if a pebble chips your front bumper saying the paint should have been better?

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Isn't the scratching / scuffing issue just physics? Most things can be scratched...

Do you all inspect new cars with a magnifying glass and return it weeks later if a pebble chips your front bumper saying the paint should have been better?

Who is returning it weeks later? When you take possession of a new car and find defects, 90% of people would demand it be fixed. Damage out of the box is the issue. Poor durability is secondary.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Who is returning it weeks later? When you take possession of a new car and find defects, 90% of people would demand it be fixed. Damage out of the box is the issue. Poor durability is secondary.

Even if the paint chips were caused by normal use?

I'd like to see someone try and return a car for rock chips.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Even if the paint chips were caused by normal use?

I'd like to see someone try and return a car for rock chips.

I don't see a flood of posts on people chipping the phone themselves-although I have read some-the majority are damaged OUT OF THE BOX. That is the issue.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Why not get one from these guys, they have a bunch of styles, I was considering this one... http://www.senacases.com/apple/iphone-5-cases/walletslim/
the%20ugly.jpg

Is this a joke? Are we in 1998? :confused:

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
So far I've been good! I will admit to the "honeymoon phase" where I'm treating my phone a bit more delicately than I treated my iPhone 4, but it's still going in and out of my dedicated pocket in my bag and I'm resting it against surfaces (as long as they're not metal) and I haven't had any scuffs or dings at all. I have seen videos about how the back aluminum panel is really scratch resistant (you can literally rub away scratches) which has proven true with my device as well.

I mostly worry about the zipper on the edge of my bag. I just know that one of these days I'm going to stop being as careful and the metal will scrape a big chunk of black off the edge. I think I'm going to use a ColcaSac sleeve inside my bag for that reason.

I haven't decided if I want to put a case on it yet (something very minimal like the Spigen Ultra Thin Air in clear). I'm so tempted to keep it naked just because I have AppleCare+ and I'm very gentle with my phones in general.

nevesis

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Right, because a phone tethered to a table simulates real world use. :rolleyes:

4500 people enter the Westchester store on a daily basis. I would say a large percentage of those people mess around with the phones for a while.

On top of that, I definitely put the phone through more abuse than I ever would on my own, and I saw no specific damage to the sides or back.

The marks coming from the factory are a different story, but if you are careful with your phone and treat it right (like I have from June 29th, 2007) you shouldn't have any major issues.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Had since the 21st. Carrying it in my front pocket, w/nothing else in the pocket. No scratches. Looks great, not out of the box new when you put a harsh light onto it, but I'm happy with it. I think it'll hold up great as long as you are mindful of it and that it's not made of diamond. It'll scratch if something harder is abrasive against it, just avoid those situations as much as you can.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
I went naked with mine all last weekend and had no problems with scuffing or scratching. However, I do now have it in a minimal case because of all the commuting I do back and forth to the city. It just gets too much action to not at least be protected from drops or dings.

I will say that for the first time in forever, I do NOT have a screen protector on it. I have had one on every phone I've ever owned, but the one I put on it on Friday got all scratched up just from me using the phone, and I decided enough was enough. If my iPad can go scratch free so can my iPhone.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I am extremely disappointed in all of you. Not one person has asked the stoned guy for pictures of the damage.

Lick

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2012
LOL......I take it that was a joke?

No you toolbag the dude I was responding too said he was using an old leather case on his. Dunno whats crazy about a wallet case, if your gonna stick a bulky case on your phone might as well get some function out of it.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
Mine has been naked some and in a glider case some. It had two small chips in the black out of the box (no, I didn't return or exchange it, though I am starting to feel silly because I didn't ;) - whew, the judging). I haven't seen anything additional crop up.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
People shouldn't put a phone (any phone) in the same pocket with keys anyway.....That's just asking for it.

Exactly. My wallet goes in my back right pocket, keys in my back left, and iPhone in my front right. Never mixing anything.

Dude! Im the exact way haha. Like my food, nothing touches

Yup, my wallet in back right pocket, keys in front right, iPhone 5 in front left...

Any additional items I have to carry, along with my work phone, go into my right front pocket with my keys. Or my coat pocket during the winter.

Additional: Oh yea, so because of this, my naked iPhone 5 is still perfect, except for a finger print or two.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Carrying the naked phone without being fully resigned to the fact that the phone will be scratched up looking will result in shock and disappointment. Even handling it like a Faberge Egg, it's take a fall at some point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.