Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

lightning_cable_vertical-150x282.jpg

With Apple's new Lightning connector on the iPhone 5 dropping to just eight contact pins from the 30 pins seen in the original dock connector and gaining the ability to be inserted in either orientation, many have wondered just how Apple has been able to maintain most of the functions of the original dock connector. Others have wondered why Apple simply didn't shift to micro-USB, an existing standard in a comparable form factor.

Developer Rainer Brockerhoff has been examining Lightning's technical features and over the weekend outlined his thinking on how the "adaptive" nature of the Lightning connector highlighted by Apple during the technology's introduction at the iPhone 5 media event has enabled flexible functionality with a minimum of pins. Brockerhoff notes that the Lightning connector appears able to sense what kinds of devices are being connected and to use chips embedded in the cable to assign pin functionalities appropriate for each situation.
- The device watches for a momentary short on all pins (by the leading edge of the plug) to detect plug insertion/removal.

- The pins on the plug are deactivated until after the plug is fully inserted, when a wake-up signal on one of the pins cues the chip inside the plug. This avoids any shorting hazard while the plug isn't inside the connector.

- The controller/driver chip tells the device what type it is, and for cases like the Lightning-to-USB cable whether a charger (that sends power) or a device (that needs power) is on the other end.

- The device can then switch the other pins between the SoC's data lines or the power circuitry, as needed in each case.

- Once everything is properly set up, the controller/driver chip gets digital signals from the SoC and converts them - via serial/parallel, ADC/DAC, differential drivers or whatever - to whatever is needed by the interface on the other end of the adapter or cable. It could even re-encode these signals to some other format to use fewer wires, gain noise-immunity or whatever, and re-decode them on the other end; it's all flexible. It could even convert to optical.
Double Helix Cables has now shared with AppleInsider a mapping of the pins on the two sides of the Lightning connector, demonstrating that this adaptive assignment of pin functions is required for the reversible nature of the plug.
"Take top pin 2 for example," he wrote in an e-mail to AppleInsider. "It is contiguous, electrically, with bottom pin 2. So, as the plug is inserted into the iPhone, if you have the cable in one way, pin 2 would go into the left side of the jack, flip it the other way and the same pair of pins is going to match up with the other side of the jack (as the electrical contacts in the iPhone's jacks are along the bottom)."
lightning_pins-500x602.jpg

Mapping of pins in Apple's new Lightning connector
The adaptive nature of the Lightning connector may explain to some degree the rather high cost of cables and adapters for the new standard, as the $29 and $39 adapters for connecting 30-pin dock accessories to Lightning-equipped devices are required to contain hardware capable of working with the dynamically assigned pin functions. In addition, the adaptive nature indicates that the same Lightning interface could evolve over time to support new technologies within existing hardware.

Article Link: Apple's Lightning Connector Uses Adaptive Technology to Dynamically Assign Pin Functions

BTGeekboy

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Usb 3

I had a hunch Lightning was this sort of expandable.

It seems as if USB 3 is possible over the connector, given that both the phone and the cable support it (and the device on the other end, of course). This doesn't mean that iPhone 5 will ever be able to, but maybe 5++/5S/6/whatever will, without requiring yet another new connector.

(Or, even better, Thunderbolt, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.)

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
Amazing. When does the Samsung version come out?

Note: I do love Samsung TVs but sometimes the things they do just make me laugh. It will be extra funny when they do adopt it because they just bashed it in their printed ad.

samsung-galaxy-tab-usb-cable-adapter.jpg

Last edited:

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Can we get back to how Apple's lazy designers don't do anything now? Please?

Unlike Samsung, which is super busy innovating stunning new ways to silently remote wipe phones with HTML.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I'm hoping they can make the iPad charge faster once it's implemented on the device.

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
Why not just use Thunderbolt?

I mean, wouldn't it be practical to have the same connection across all devices, that can do data and power, like was touted? Or is it not thin enough?

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Apple was granted a patent on connectors with adaptive pin assignment about a year and a half ago. Lightning appears to be the first implementation of that technology. Nice.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Wouldn't it technically be an 16-pin adaptor, 17 if you count the whole thing as one, since it's reversible and there's pin's on both sides?

imgmkr

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2004
South Korea
it's gonna be one for all cable, eh! coolio.
although it is pricy it would be handy and useful more and more later.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Can anyone comment on the length of the adapter included with iPhone5? Is it the same length as the iPad/iPhone4, or is it now capable of being a bit longer? Really looking for a cable another foot or two longer than the standard 30pin to USB adapter.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Apple was granted a patent on connectors with adaptive pin assignment about a year and a half ago. Lightning appears to be the first implementation of that technology. Nice.

I think the problem with the iPhone 5 is that it doesn't feel like a stellar leap. The biggest changes are on the inside and this isn't really that tangible to your average consumer.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Can anyone comment on the length of the adapter included with iPhone5? Is it the same length as the iPad/iPhone4, or is it now capable of being a bit longer? Really looking for a cable another foot or two longer than the standard 30pin to USB adapter.

It's the same length, but you can use a USB extension.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico

I'm guessing you're talking about the lightning USB cord since it doesn't come with an adaptor. It's the same length as the previous 30-pin cord.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I'm really glad there is more to this switch in connector technology, then just changing the adapter.

ThatsMrsGeek2U

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
this seems amazingly forward thinking, thankfully. it hurts to have to change cables and i figured that there needed to be a better reason than just size and i was really hoping it was not different than a mini usb just for the sake of it. this makes me happy, it shows really thought and real innovation is still going on.
we got 9 years out of the last cable, hopefully in 9 years from now cables will be a thing of the past

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.