Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Wouldn't it technically be an 16-pin adaptor, 17 if you count the whole thing as one, since it's reversible and there's pin's on both sides?

Nope.

The 8 pins on the bottom are the same 8 pins on the top. And the phone itself only connects to one side or the other.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
This is really cool, but it also seems like it could easily malfunction/get confused if there is some wear and tear involved. I guess we'll have to wait and see about the long time reliability of these cables.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Nope.

The 8 pins on the bottom are the same 8 pins on the top. And the phone itself only connects to one side or the other.

Ah. That makes sense. So only one side of where it detects and echanges power and data in the device is active at a time and the pins are thick through the top and bottom?

Gobeatty

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
For the love of GAWD people - whether you love or hate Apple, you gotta give it up that this is ingenious!!!!

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I wonder why this wasn't introduced with the new iPad. I guess they wanted to keep this "feature" for the iPhone 5 and then add it as a "feature" to the newer iPad.

I just wish it also introduced faster transfer rates.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I wonder why this wasn't introduced with the new iPad. I guess they wanted to keep this "feature" for the iPhone 5 and then add it as a "feature" to the newer iPad.

New iPad was released in March, seven months ago. iPhone 5 was four days ago. So there's that.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Good, so the same Lightning port and cable should be able to support USB 3.0 in the future, right?

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I think the problem with the iPhone 5 is that it doesn't feel like a stellar leap. The biggest changes are on the inside and this isn't really that tangible to your average consumer.

I don't know. The screen is a big step up. It's also much lighter and thinner. The noise cancelation tech is far better than the older models too.

All told it's a pretty amazing update and we're only now starting to realise just how amazing it is.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
*yawn*. I suppose it takes a bit more to get me excited. It's not like they found a new way to split the atom. Probably took an engineer a half day with his white board to map this out and make it so. I don't think this is very ground breaking and believe just like with anything it sounds a lot "cooler" and over-complicated when someone who likes to hear themselves talk explains it. Now make each connection with an encoded magnetic field and not a physical connection and I may be a bit more impressed. Until then, it's a basic evolution of a plug.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Now that's the benefit of all-digital! Samsung advertised the new lightning connector as all-digital in their TV ad. So they advertised for apple. Not only that, but their ads show that the iPhone 5 is lighter than the S3, they've shown a superior voice command system, and in their TV ad, they've shown that the iphone 5 will feel better in the hands.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
*yawn*. I suppose it takes a bit more to get me excited. It's not like they found a new way to split the atom. Probably took an engineer a half day with his white board to map this out and make it so. I don't think this is very ground breaking and believe just like with anything it sounds a lot "cooler" and over-complicated when someone who likes to hear themselves talk explains it. Now make each connection with an encoded magnetic field and not a physical connection and I may be a bit more impressed. Until then, it's a basic evolution of a plug.

My friend, if one engineer could simply do that in half a day, then why was the patent granted 2 years ago, why didn't anyone else do it, and more importantly, why didn't you think before you type?

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I don't really understand why so many people focus on "faster transfer rates" of the cables used by iOS devices when wireless syncing has been available for a year or so.
Is there any good reason for syncing your iPhone using a wired connection?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Can we get back to how Apple's lazy designers don't do anything now? Please?

Unlike Samsung, which is super busy innovating stunning new ways to silently remote wipe phones with HTML.

Yes - let's please bring in something completely off-topic into the conversation just to get some "likes."

FYI - the story you linked to isn't the latest on the vulnerability. A quick google search turned this up. http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ng-exploit-it-was-already-fixed-in-an-update/

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I expected a lot of hidden capabilities but this blows me away. It's like Thunderbolt on steroids, able to change itself on the fly. No wonder the 30/8 adaptor is slightly delayed and $29. This interface is quite intelligent. I'm looking forward to playing with it later this week.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Can we get back to how Apple's lazy designers don't do anything now? Please?

Unlike Samsung, which is super busy innovating stunning new ways to silently remote wipe phones with HTML.

Wow!!! Thanks for sharing! I think I am going to make a fan page on one of my websites for all my Sammy friends to visit to see a comparison of iPhone to Samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.