Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LaCie has released a new entry in its Rugged series of portable storage drives. This time, it's a Thunderbolt/USB3 offering that comes equipped with a 1TB 5400rpm hard drive or either a 120GB or 256GB 6Gb/s solid state drive. LaCie says the SSD runs at speeds of up to 380MB/s.

ruggedlacie.jpg

The LaCie Rugged brings two industry leading technologies, USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt together so users can experience the fastest transfer speeds available on PC or Mac. The LaCie Rugged SSD delivers record-breaking speeds up to 380MB/s - making it the fastest bus-powered product ever. Respectively, the hard disk version performs up to 110MB/s, a 35 percent improvement over FireWire 800. Whether you are a photographer, videographer, or power user, the LaCie Rugged can move 10GB in a few seconds and ensure zero lag-time when accessing files, viewing photos, or editing videos.
The 1TB version is $249, while the 120GB and 256GB SSD's are $199 and $349 respectively. They're available at Apple Stores and at LaCie.com.

Article Link: LaCie Launches 'Rugged' Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 Portable Drives

DrFu79

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Norway
Wow, thats a BIG price drop in mobile SSD drives.

----------

fugly though ... and whyTF do i need shock protection on an SSD drive? Make it tiny

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
With cable!

Thunderbolt and USB 3 cables included makes this a real deal. 2m Thunderbolt cable is $49 and the FW/USB3 model is $200 - the only extra charge is for the cable really. Good job LaCie.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Finally, the price is falling, but the drive is butt ugly. Pass until they make something like half an inch thick or something.

Also, I don't know the exact specifics, but is it not possible to add a second thunderbolt port for daisy chaining on a TB power bussed drive? I'd like to see some Thunderbolt daisy chaining singular platter drives that are bus powered. No RAIDs please.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
With a bulgy design like that, it better be able to float on water or something.

betterfloat.png

*of course it doesn't

Last edited:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Very good prices, especially with the Thunderbolt cable included.

Considering their orange rugged line is usually more expensive, I can't wait to see the price of their regular, non-rugged line:

Rikiki-USB3-9mm_3-4_left.jpg

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Thunderbolt and USB 3 cables included makes this a real deal. 2m Thunderbolt cable is $49 and the FW/USB3 model is $200 - the only extra charge is for the cable really. Good job LaCie.

Agreed!!! It's a steal!!! It's just a shame that it doesn't have two thunderbolt ports on it.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I will take a A/C power cord anytime vs only having one thunderbolt port on a device. Those of us with the current iMac 21.5 (and other thunderbolt equipped computers) really need some devices that do not end the chain. (As an alternative, could someone develop a thunderbolt hub device like USB has to give more ports that way?)

Still, I am glad to start to see more affordable SSD options, when it comes time to upgrade to SSD, I don't want to have to open the iMac at all.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
How is this a good deal if you can buy a Samsung M3 1TB USB 3 hard drive for $ 105?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-M3-Po...qid=1348599931&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+M3+1TB

Thunderbolt or USB 3 doesn't matter right now in therms of speed for single drives and the rugged enclosure doesn't really help that much with ordinary hard drives, but paying $ 145 more for luxury is useless.

The SSD version could at least be only a case, in case you want to swap the drive. Then it could be a good value for the money. Otherwise this is a ripoff.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Fairly good prices, plus no need for a power adapter (right?) is great!

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
How is this a good deal if you can buy a Samsung M3 1TB USB 3 hard drive for $ 105?
Thunderbolt or USB 3 doesn't matter right now in therms of speed for single drives and the rugged enclosure doesn't really help that much with ordinary hard drives, but paying $ 145 more for luxury is useless.
You're right -- assuming you have USB 3.0. I have two one-year old Macs that don't have USB 3.0 but do have Thunderbolt. I guess I could get a Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter, but if I wanted a fast mobile hard drive for my Air, this would seem to be an easy way to go.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-M3-Po...qid=1348599931&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+M3+1TB

The SSD version could at least be only a case, in case you want to swap the drive. Then it could be a good value for the money. Otherwise this is a ripoff.

Not really, the SSD ones will be much faster than USB 3 external SSDs. Maybe you don't need the extra speed but let's not compare USB 3 and Thunderbolt external SSDs as they don't provide the same performance. At this price the speed/price ratio is getting better with Thunderbolt.

As for the HDD one, it's true that there's no performance gain over USB 3 but let's not forget that there's a bunch of Macs sold in the last two years and even right now that have Thunderbolt but no USB 3 ports. Those people may want to get speeds over USB 2 without changing their whole computer.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Hmm, i'll have to see a review for these. $199 would be nice as an external video editing drive. Only problem would be that I can't plug into my external monitor and the drive at the same time...unless I bought an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
5400rpm drive? may as well just use USB 2.0

SSD options look nice though

errr- no. I can edit 1080p off my rugged 5400 FW800. Definitely not off the same drive when connected up USB 2 (which it also has)

iKing7

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Big fan of these drives. I have several. Glad to see they're on time for the new technology unlike so many other companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.