Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Besides the new maps, of course!

I'm looking to switch. Throw some suggestions at me. Thanks in advance.

(Apple fanbois, please keep it in your pants, I don't care)

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
If you want on par performance: Galaxy SIII or Galaxy Nexus (older, but still gets updates to new OS on time)
If you want a bigger screen: Galaxy SIII again or HTC One X (it's actually a beautiful screen)
If you want a very large phone: Wait for the new Galaxy Note, it's supposed to pack heat and be a great phone.
If you want incredible battery life: Droid RAZR MAX is second to none

Hope that helps.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I would suggest waiting for the new nexus phones to be announced. They are similar to iPhone in that they are pure stock android. Exactly what google wants it to be. No skins or crap on top. Also they will get the latest and greatest updates very very fast. Just like iPhone.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Wait for the new Nexus device(s) and stay away from Samsung. Their devices are more poorly made and employ a lower-quality screen, and choice of materials. High-end HTC phones seem well built.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Wait for the new Nexus device(s) and stay away from Samsung. Their devices are more poorly made and employ a lower-quality screen, and choice of materials. High-end HTC phones seem well built.

I've had no issues with the quality of my galaxy nexus and I really like the superamoled screen on it. It does go brighter than the siii's screen. Its one of he brightest amoled screens and the saturation is better calibrated as well not that I would consider the s3's screen bad. In my opinion its still one of the best, some people nay prefer others but the general public would probably prefer superamoled over LCD. There's rumors of a galaxy nexus 2 with a faster CPU and better camera with the same size screen and form factor. If your signing a contract wait for that. If your buying unlocked and are gsm get the current galaxy nexus. Its excellent and the price is very good.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
IMO the best Android phone available now is the Galaxy S3. I would see what the Nexus brings to the table later this year and then make your decision.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska

Isn't there a pretty good chance the next Nexus will be built by Samsung? :confused: Hard to avoid them if they build all the Nexuses.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Isn't there a pretty good chance the next Nexus will be built by Samsung? :confused: Hard to avoid them if they build all the Nexuses.

There's rumors circulating of multiple OEMs making the next generation of Nexus devices. Samsung has made the last two, they don't/won't make all of them.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Besides the new maps, of course!

I'm looking to switch. Throw some suggestions at me. Thanks in advance.

(Apple fanbois, please keep it in your pants, I don't care)

You want Android but you also want it to be as close to iPhone?

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The Galaxy Nexus has the most coherent, stylish and no-nonsense design (t's pretty much the only phone without freaking branding on the front!!). It's probably the one you'd be the least ashamed to use, as someone coming from an iPhone. At least that's how I feel - longtime iPhone user in the process of switching, still looking for the right phone. All other Android phones that I've checked out look more or less arbitrary in design, which is precisely what the iPhone does not. (The back of the thing is an exception to this, it doesn't match the stylish front at all - but this can be easily remedied with a slick lightweight case.)

It doesn't have a physical home button though, if that's a requirement for you, you'd probably want the S3. This one is terribly plasticky feeling though, and has heavily over-saturated colors in the screen. For me this is the anti-iPhone. It's so ugly I just couldn't bear being seen with one.

If the quality of the screen is of top importance for you, the HTC One X definitely comes closest to the iPhone screen of all Androids out there at the moment. Design and build quality are good one this one too, apart from the big letters saying "HTC" on the front, which makes me cringe just a little every time I look at one of these.

As for the OS experience, like people have said above, pure vanilla Android definitely comes closest to iOS. This is available on pretty much all phones with a bit of work, rooting etc. If you don't wanna get into that, the Galaxy Nexus is the phone for you.

Overall, the Nexus has the most similar feel to an iPhone. It's well designed, no branding on the front, and you get vanilla Android with quick updates. I find the screen a tiny bit fuzzy and if you're coming from an iPhone 4S, you'll hate the camera. But it still feels like the most coherent and sharp piece of kit of all these.

And like also said above, the next line of Nexus phones should be in the works and out soon, so best of all maybe to wait for one of those.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

Yea this is the reason why I choose the Nexus, straight from the source with out all the other junk companies like Verizon or AT&T put on it. Plus instant updates to the OS. Regardless of which you choose, iOS or Android, going with the source is the best option.

I would suggest waiting for the new nexus phones to be announced. They are similar to iPhone in that they are pure stock android. Exactly what google wants it to be. No skins or crap on top. Also they will get the latest and greatest updates very very fast. Just like iPhone.

I've had no issues with the quality of my galaxy nexus...

I love my Nexus, but I do think the build quality isn't the best. The back panel to access the battery and SIM card is odd and the over look of it could be a bit more 'sexy.' I mean it's good quality, but the iPhone's build quality and aesthetics (albeit stale now) has the edge IMO.

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
All these people telling you to wait for the new Nexus should ask you what carrier you are with first. The CDMA (Verizon and Sprint) Nexus phone are complete crap and not worth a dime. You would need to be with AT&T or T Mobile. If you need a phone sooner than end of the year, get the SIII, fantastic phone and its getting JB next month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.