Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yes they are. Since the Lighting cable is USB you just need a USB car charger paired with your Lighting cable.

ok, so technically no. Apple is not selling them yet. I was told late this week or early next week.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
from apple.
Apple's never made a car charger, AFAIK.

Like brand said, you can use the cable that came with your iPhone (or buy another one from Apple) and use it with pretty much any brand USB car charger, like below.

STD1_F8Z445ea.jpg

Plug ^^^^ into your car, and then plug your Apple USB to Lightning cable into that.

----------

ok, so technically no. Apple is not selling them yet. I was told late this week or early next week.
USB to Lightning cables, like what came in the iPhone box? Those were the only Lightning cables my local Apple Store had in stock on launch day. :confused:

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
so you'd have to carry your home charger around? No thanks.

Dude, you can't post a half-assed question, then try to clarify it after people give you an answer, and then not even read the answers they give you.

Let me spell it out again:

Any 12v to USB car charger will work, since the new lightning cables operate on the USB standard. You don't need to carry your 'home charger' around. Something like this would work.

Honestly, it's a little disrespectful to the community to put such little effort in.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yeah, I just bought an extra lightning cable then went to Microcenter for a dual port USB car adapter. Plug in = instant car charger. At $19 for the cable and $3.75 for the USB plug, it's quite a bit cheaper than I'm sure the dedicated car chargers will be.

You should be able to get spare lightning cables at pretty much any Apple store. I bought 4 extras (one for my nightstand, one for my home computer, one for my work computer and one for the car). The one that came with it is plugged in down stairs so I can charge there during the day if needed.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Using a USB car charger is better than a dedicated one anyway, because you can charge anything that uses USB, not just the iPhone.

Try to get one rated for iPad charging (2A) even if you don't have an iPad. They don't cost much more, and this way it'll have the power to charge pretty much any USB-charging device you'll ever throw at it.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Using a USB car charger is better than a dedicated one anyway, because you can charge anything that uses USB, not just the iPhone.

Try to get one rated for iPad charging (2A) even if you don't have an iPad. They don't cost much more, and this way it'll have the power to charge pretty much any USB-charging device you'll ever throw at it.
I have this dual USB one: one port at 2.1A, the other 1A.

41xlR6AS4yL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You can use both ports at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.