Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MetRob24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
New York City
Hello MacRumors Community,

I recently purchase the Apple TV 3 and I've been trying to mirror the TimeWarner Cable iPad app from my iPad 3 via AirPlay to my TV but the TV shows the following message (screenshot attached) [[ TWC TV does not currently support HDMI video out from this device. ]], no video is display, but I can hear the sound of the live show that is currently playing on app. I search in the forum as well in google and I did not find any topic or questions related to this error message.

I purchase the ATV 3 to see if I can use the TWC iPad app to mirror the TWC iPad into my TV to see if I can return my HDTV box and not have to pay the monthly renters fee on the TWC cable box.

Is TWC blocking their iPad app mirroring to ATV 3 via AirPlay, or could my ATV 3 be defective? Although, everything else works fine on ATV 3, Netflix, YouTube, Airplay music from Mac?

How can I fix this issue and get the TWC iPad app to work on ATV 3 via AirPlay Mirroring?

I'll appreciate any one with any input on this topic or if any one is able to mirror TWC iPad app to their ATV 3 using AirPlay mirroring feature.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Photo Sep 24, 10 57 32 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 24, 10 57 32 PM.jpg
    951.7 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I purchase the ATV 3 to see if I can use the TWC iPad app to mirror the TWC iPad into my TV to see if I can return my HDTV box and not have to pay the monthly renters fee on the TWC cable box.

That's the thing right there, they're not going to let you get something for free.

The settings are coded in the app, some support video out, some only support mirroring. If you look at most of the network providers apps like ABC for example, it only supports mirroring, and not video out. so you will wind up with a small picture surrounded by black on all 4 sides on your TV set.

you'll have to take it up with time warner, although i wouldn't get your hopes up. and there's a chance that the content providers had a say in this too.

ellewoods2001

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Hmm, this is interesting.. I was considering buying the ATV3 for the mirroring function (but on my laptop, I don't own an iPad) so will this not work?

Do you know if I can watch HBO2GO using my iPhone 4s or MB Pro with the mirroring thing?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Hmm, this is interesting.. I was considering buying the ATV3 for the mirroring function (but on my laptop, I don't own an iPad) so will this not work?

Do you know if I can watch HBO2GO using my iPhone 4s or MB Pro with the mirroring thing?

as long as the app has the same restrictions coded into it, the iphone will have the same limitations as the ipad in this regard.

first, is your mac supported for mirroring? for MB pros it's early 2011 or newer
if not, it's a hardware issue, there is a chip in the newer macs that handles the video conversion.
there are options out there like airparrot, but it can eat a lot of processor usage, and people have complained about it's smoothness.

if your mac supports it you should be able to mirror the screen to your TV.

bottsjw

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Any word on a fix for this? Any other video streaming services with a similar limitation?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I was thinking about this and tried and got the same message. Glad I searched this as I see I wasn't the only one wanting to do this. I wish TWC would just release an app for the ATV and work off my home network. I can care less about big bulky cable boxes when I can leave my ATV plugged in so I can watch cable or airplay without the need for changing inputs either on the TV.

If you're jailbroken, you will need to search and install the FakeTimeWarner (FTW) tweak since TWC will block your iDevice if its jailbroken. But I haven't seen any jailbreka tweak that removes the airplay limitation.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Unrestrict Premium will do the trick for Airplay Mirroring if you JB your Ipad or Iphone.

You can take it one step further and airplay the content in a full airplay mode, not mirror mode by following these steps exactly.

1. Turn mirroring on your ATV
2. Open TWC app so it mirrors to your TV ( the box will not fill up the screen)
3. Double click home and scroll over to the airplay icon and just flick mirror off, but keep the taskbar showing and what you are watching will do true airplay.

If you close the app or try to go back in the app it will kick off the airplay and the option to mirror will disappear until you respring the phone, so unfortunately no channel changing in the mode, but if you find something you want to watch this method will fill up the whole screen with true airplay and not just mirroring.

When you are done watching simply flick the mirror button back on and then you can go back into TWC app.

Crazy steps I know, but this is how I was able to watch the new Walking Dead a couple hours earlier in Hawaii :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.