Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Psood21

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
I have an Iphone 4s locked to Fido from Canada. Anyone has any luck getting Canadian Iphones unlocked? Ebay prices range from 130$-140 which are huge compared to what we are paying to get at&t Iphone 5 unlocked.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have an Iphone 4s locked to Fido from Canada. Anyone has any luck getting Canadian Iphones unlocked? Ebay prices range from 130$-140 which are huge compared to what we are paying to get at&t Iphone 5 unlocked.

That's the price you have to pay.
You cant use an AT&T unlock for example to unlock a Fido iphone. It wont work and most sellers wont even refund you the money since its your screw up.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I sent a email request to have my 4s unlocked but AT&T took forever so I called them instead and had it unlocked over the phone (and did the restore method).

Now today I finally got this email from them saying this and am worried as I shipped my phone off already to an eBay seller who purchased it unlocked. I heard once its unlocked it is unlocked for good I sure hope so. :eek::eek:

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.

We cannot complete your request because the service commitment for this iPhone has not been completed or no valid current/ former mobile number is associated with the request.
If you have questions, review the general eligibility requirements for unlocking an iPhone.

Thank you for your business. For other questions about our wireless service or iPhones, contact AT&T Customer Care at (800) 331-0500.

Sincerely,
The AT&T Customer Care Team

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
All replies are automatically deleted.

TSKY74

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2012
I just purchased the unlock_fusion process from eBay @2:30 pm EST and was just notified @ 4:30 pm EST that its unlocked. Now to go home and restore

:::Update 6:53 PM:::
Have restored and got my "Congrats your phone is unlocked" message. Very quick from unlock_fusion. Ordering a second for my wifes phone now.

Last edited:

sd13

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I used unlock_fusion for my 4s and i didn't even need to restore. I just popped in a foreign sim and it worked just fine.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I used unlock_fusion for my 4s and i didn't even need to restore. I just popped in a foreign sim and it worked just fine.

I'm starting to guess that the restore process isn't necessary except to reveal to the end user that the device is in fact unlocked.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Yeah, got it at 10:19 AM CDT. I submitted my unlock request around 1 AM CDT. Check your spam filter.

My friend got his unlocked yesterday too but never received the confirmation unlocked email. But got the congradulations message on itunes after a restore.
Go to his site that he send you initially to enter your IMEI to check the status of the unlock. It should tell you there.

Thanks guys. For some reason the unlocked email notification went to spam. Got it at 12:32 this morning. Weird. States it's unlocked and good to go. I am going to backup in iTunes and restore there.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Ok, question, can I buy a AT&T without contract (but still locked to AT&T) for around 650$ when I'm a tourist in NYC? A tourist from another country that is. Is it possible?

edit:
aslo, the AT&T prices are ridiculous! :)
screenshot20120925at650.png

Last edited:

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
iPhone 5 has been unlocked. Neat! I will probably get my 4S done next if AT&T won't do it.

Dawgy

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Morgantown, WV
iPhone 5 has been unlocked. Neat! I will probably get my 4S done next if AT&T won't do it.

Did it show after you fully completed restoring from your backup or what? I got the email that said mine was done, but I haven't received the message yet, and an IMEI checker says mine's locked (Apple DB not updated yet).

Did I do it wrong?

Edit: Restored it a second time and it worked. Strange!

Last edited:

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
Did my iphone 5 att through unlock fusion. Took 2 hours, got the congrats message when i restored at lunch. icloud makes it so easy and quick to do the restore.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Did you do it anyway?

Nope, not for my iphone 5 yet.
I had both my 4S and my i5 done by him a few days ago.
On the 4S I just deactivated it with S.A.M and then plugged it in to itunes and got the congrats message.
On the i5 I didnt bother doing a restore but Im sure its good to go.
That guy has done thousands of unlocks so far.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Wow all this is complete news to me. Hopefully somebody can help me out here -

Is this restore just a general iCloud restore and it does NOT need to be done physically with the computer in iTunes?

If so, my iPhone 5 will be arriving tomorrow. Can I receive my phone, just use the phone temporarily as a new setup, do the unlock from eBay, THEN restore from my prior iCloud backup and be unlocked? If so that would be crazy convenient.

Also, is the "unlock" a GSM-only unlock? Meaning I could take the phone to T-Mobile or Straight Talk but not Sprint/Verizon?

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I got mine done today. From purchase to unlock took 3 hours even though i bought the slower processing one.

Did the iTunes restore and i'm now factory unlocked! I didn't think services like these were legit.

katai

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
I got mine to work and did the restore. I'm waiting for my moms phone to be unlocked and I guess I don't have to do backup/restore process since some of you didn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.