Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm a heavy texter and sometimes texts up to a couple of 100's of texts per day. What I'd like to see is an easier way to keep track of your conversation. For instance:

- Search within a conversation for a certain keyword
- "Timeline":ish, e.g. be able to easier go back X days/weeks/months/years to see older messages in the conversation
- "Find" all attachments(images/videos/etc)

Other than that, I definitely second the UI refresh. It's about time now! Maybe with the UI refresh, the messages-updates I've suggested above will be easier to incorporate!

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Wi-Fi hotspot without cell carrier permission. If I send data back and forth between my iPhone and my MacBook, it’s none of the cell network’s business what that data is. They already charge me for the data I send between my iPhone and their cell network, it’s none of their business what I do with that data locally.

Sort apps in App Store when browsing and searching. I want to sort apps by average review, by average review for current version, by original release date, by current version release date, by name, by number of downloads, by number of downloads for current version, by price, and so forth.

Ability to assign trust to apps myself. I bought the iPhone, I own the physical device, therefore I am the one who should decide which programs can and cannot run on it. If Apple does not want to put a certain app in their App Store, fine, let them not. But for them to prevent me from installing apps from other sources, that is contrary to the idea that I own the device.

Home screen rotate to landscape mode on iPhone.

Documents folder.

Ability to remove pictures from camera roll after placing them in other albums.

Rotation lock that works in landscape as well as portrait.

Ability to view saved WiFi passwords by entering Apple ID and password.

Photos app should show full-res versions of pictures.

Folders within folders.

Unlimited icons per folder.

Place app icons in any grid location, not just “fill from top left in order”.

Option to make tapping a number while viewing a contact pop up a question asking whether I want to Call, Edit, or Cancel. Same for tapping an email address, etc.

Ability to choose a different app to launch from the lock-screen Camera button.

Quick access to Brightness adjustment from a physical button.

An option to have the enclosing folder close after launching an app from it.

Option for custom lockscreen behavior. This might actually be my biggest reason not to upgrade until a jailbreak is out: I really like my custom lockscreen that shows the current phase of the moon on a black background.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Regardless of iOS version, I would like iOS to have:

- Ability to launch system functions and change settings using Siri
- Siri speed improvements and stability
- AirPlay to multiple devices for audio
- offline caching for maps
- voice pattern matching with local caching for quicker execution of Siri commands
- pubic transport in maps
- more waze features integrated into maps
- contacts check in on maps (Facebook, fore square meets google latitude)
- proper conversation threading in mail
- iCloud syncing for mail view, like iCloud tabs but for mail
- iCloud syncing for more system functions like music
- reintroduction of wifi plus
- swipe gestures in safari
- swipe gestures to show and switch between open apps

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The original ipad came out relatively recently too (2 years) and it didnt get ios6

It wasn't still on the sale the year iOS 6 shipped. The 3GS was and it got iOS 6.

Basically, if Apple still sells it the year of the iOS release and drops it at the refresh cycle, you're getting that year's iOS update as your last update.

iPad got iOS 5 and was dropped off in March 2011. 3GS was dropped off September 2012 and got iOS 6.

iPhone 4 is still on sale and will get dropped off next year, thus it will get iOS 7 if Apple sticks to the 1 year refresh cycle.

cameronfree

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Battery Conservation Mode

I would love to see "Battery Conservation Mode" where the phone would:

-Turn off bluetooth
-Turn off wifi
-Kill all apps
-Dim screen brightness
-Push notifications

etc...

Until you can reconnect to a charger.

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Let me assign my own default apps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

If I use Camera+, then that should be the app that gets loaded on the lock screen.

Same for email apps and browser apps.

SRodriguez28

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Bay Area, CA
Each page should be allowed to have a different wallpaper.

So in theory, I could take a Pano shot then as I swipe through I pages of apps, I could be going from left to right in the same photo.

Or just simply have different pics per page on my home screen.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Each page should be allowed to have a different wallpaper.

So in theory, I could take a Pano shot then as I swipe through I pages of apps, I could be going from left to right in the same photo.

Or just simply have different pics per page on my home screen.

Couldn't agree more, this was always one of the massive reasons I used to jailbreak. Sounds stupid, I know.

But visual appearance is very important to me :)

nikomakhos

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Ability to make a certain wifi connection your home connection, so that when your phone connects to that wifi, it knows it has arrived home. I would love to use location based reminders to "remind me to X when I get home", but that does not work at the moment. My iPhone never gives me those notifications, because the GPS signal points to a building across the street when I'm at home. Also constantly checking the GPS location really uses a lot of battery.

Also users should be able to assign default apps, fe. the possible Google Maps app over Apple Maps.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I'm hoping for live tiles similar to Windows Phone. I know that they won't add widgets, but live tiles will serve the same purpose.

I'd also like larger folders and some sort of quick reply for messages so that I don't have to stop what I'm doing and open the Messages app.

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
The original ipad came out relatively recently too (2 years) and it didnt get ios6

Unlike the iPhone 3GS, the original iPad was no longer being sold when iOS 6 was announced. I assume the iPhone 4 will still be selling when they announce iOS 7. (later to be replaced by the 4S once the new iPhone comes out)

Features I posted in another thread:
• Assign Default Apps (Web Browser, Mail Application, Music Player, Weather App)
• Hide built-in apps (or at least an option to hide Newstand/Passbook unless I have an application that actually utilizes them.)
• Notification-Center-based-reply: If I get a message, when I drop down Notification Center I want to be able to reply from there. Meaning I don't have to open the Messages app or leave my current application. (Allow 3rd party apps to do this as well.)
• Sync individual notifications
• Clear individual notifications
• New iPad Notification Center UI: It looks awkward to me. It should adopt OS X Mountain Lion's design where it comes in from the side and looks as if it's in back of the content.
• Better Multitasking UI: I'm okay with the suspended-state-multitasking used in iOS, but I want a better UI. I'll even settle for a "Close All" button.
• "Top Sites" in Safari
• Improved iCloud Back-up: Currently iCloud is used to back-up all data. I would like the ability to back-up data on a per-app basis. For example: If I delete Temple Run from my phone and decide to install it a month later, I want the ability to choose to retrieve the data I backed-up. (This is will be an OS feature and not one developers would have to integrate into their apps like they have to now.)
• Safari Gestures: Swipe with 3 fingers to go to the next tab or to go back. Something along those lines.
• Improved App Discovery: I know they have "Genius" but it doesn't seem like enough. Perhaps allow time-filters on the Top Charts. For Example: Top of the Week (as in the top apps that were released this week)

PS. The features are in the order I thought of them. :)

----------

Needs total UI refresh.

I think you meant WANT instead of NEED. iOS doesn't need a UI refresh. Although, I must admit, I too am starting to get bored of the UI.

Definitely this. If there was a UI change, I wouldn't mind sacrificing a few things.

You might not mind but a guaranteed bunch definitely will.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Needs total UI refresh.

Why? And what would you suggest them doing with it? It seems like most people who want a total UI change just want it because they are bored, and change for the sake of change often tends to mess things up, think when Apple redesigned iMovie a little while back.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
iOS 7 ideas

In no particular order:

1) delete updates from update queue without needing to update or delete the app it refers to.
2) delete available downloads from the download queue without needing to finish the download first.
3) iTunes/iBooks/App Store purchases can ask you which registered devices you want to automatically download to before automatically starting the download (much like the AirPlay Speaker menu in iTunes on a computer.) This way you could use an iOS Device to make a purchase without needing to download the content on the device itself (but have it available on other devices.)
4) adding a "Feedback/Feature Request/Report Problems" section to settings app.
5) add the voice memo app to iPad.
6) allow FaceTime to make voice only calls without requiring a video signal.
7) add Passbook to iPad.
8) allow Landscape Orientation lock on iPod touch
9) add landscape keyboards throughout iOS on iPod touch.
10) add a separate mute/orientation lock switch to iPod touch (hw&sw)
11) change "Artist" to be the default tab selection when the Music App opens.
12) allow additional and user manageable search engines in Safari.
13) allow "walkie-talkie" like voice messages to be sent/received in iMessage (similar to #6 with FaceTime)
14) add the ability for a recorded Voice Memo to be saved to the Music App as a "new" or "existing" "Artist" and "Album", saved to iCloud, and available for auto download to other iOS devices/computers
15) add PhotoStream Filters to keep "boring" photos (such as still shots of business documents) from appearing in slideshows. Of course, this could be extended to include filters for specific people or places.
16) add an option to "Block" people from contacting you in the Contacts App.
17) add native third party account support to Passbook (with security/privacy), so that one doesn't need to use multiple apps on each iOS device to use Passbook itself. (I don't know if this is possible without sacrificing security/privacy, but it would be convenient and useful).
18) allow specific Cities, States, Regions, Countries, and Continents to be saved/cached on the iOS Device, so that no cellular signal is required to use Maps and Turn-by-Turn navigation when away from wifi. Make this manageable through the Maps App itself, as-well-as through iTunes sync on computers.
19) add a link to the camera app on the iPad lock screen.

There may be more, but this is good for now.

*** SUBMITTED TO APPLE.COM/FEEDBACK ***

Last edited:

conkerbot

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
  • Explicit way to add words to dictionary
  • Live icons (like Calendar app)
  • More integrated Siri (set an alarm in Siri, then Siri will tell you it's done... small but meaningful changes)
  • Notification dictation - swipe on a email/message notification, and the message will be read to you without switching app
  • Unified "omnibar" in Safari - like the desktop version
  • Better (or simply fewer) standard apps
  • Unify and refine UI - is it blue, white or black that's the main colour for apps?
  • AirDrop functionality for iOS
  • Block callers and texts
  • "Quick actions" - like the tweet and FB buttons in notification centre, but provide an SDK to allow apps to integrate into this
  • Notification Centre widgets. Not too essential, but could add some good functionality
  • Enhanced security - only lock when away from house etc
  • Integrate FB messages into Messages app (unlikely)
  • Extend FaceTime (meant to be open standard) and iMessage to android, WM, Windows etc. (unlikely)
  • Ability to change camera lockscreen shortcut to any app
  • Ability to select solid colours as wallpapers
  • Passcode protect access to apps
  • Extend Guided Access (i.e., specify can't move away from certain domain in Safari)
  • Shared storage for apps - a "folder" where every app can add and retrieve data, to share pictures or documents for example
  • Buy Cue (the app) and integrate into Spotlight. Allow much deeper integration of personal details into OS, Spotlight and Siri. Like Google Now, but even deeper.
  • Integrate Yelp - read reviews in Maps, rather than being directed to app.
  • Sync email settings between devices

Loads more I can think of, but those would all be great changes. Also left Maps out of it, because of where I live I've not been too bothered by the change even though I recognise how rough it is.

maricc

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Regardless of iOS version, I would like iOS to have:

- Ability to launch system functions and change settings using Siri
- Siri speed improvements and stability
- AirPlay to multiple devices for audio
- offline caching for maps
- voice pattern matching with local caching for quicker execution of Siri commands
- pubic transport in maps
- more waze features integrated into maps
- contacts check in on maps (Facebook, fore square meets google latitude)
- proper conversation threading in mail
- iCloud syncing for mail view, like iCloud tabs but for mail
- iCloud syncing for more system functions like music
- reintroduction of wifi plus
- swipe gestures in safari
- swipe gestures to show and switch between open apps

Whats that?

I REALLY want Siri to be able to do things like:

--Turnon/off bluetooth, wifi, vibrate, etc.
--An easy way to go from RINGER-->VIBRATE-->SILENT (by pushing to the volume buttons on the side)

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I posted this in another thread:

Less Pre-Installed Apps: I feel that iOS has to many pre-installed apps at the moment. First off, I would get rid of the Compass app and let it live or die on the App Store. Second, I would do away with the Weather and Stock apps by fully integrating them into Notification Centre. I imagine they would look mostly the same as they are now in NC, but when you tap the weather or stock box it would expand and display graphs or the weekly forecasts for other cities.

Improved Weather: I've heard a lot of people complain about how inaccurate Yahoo Weather is, and have seen it off as much as 10 Celsius on numerous occasions. I would therefore love it if Apple actually use the forecasts given by each nations Bureau of Meteorology.

Remove Newsstand: Like so many others I hate that Newsstand folder. Therefore I hope they merge it with iBooks or at least keep it hidden until a newsstand related app is installed.

A Native Dictionary App: This one is self explanatory. A translation feature would also be nice.

Update the blue pop-up boxes: I personally find the blue pop-up boxes to be extremely tacky. A lack transparent black box would look much nicer.

Battery Alert Banner: This is long over due. The current pop-up is very annoying, particularly when playing a game.

UI fixes: iOS 6 introduced some pretty bad design choices. I would like to see the elegant white status bar be returned as the new grey, blue and black colours are just depressing and inconsistent. Also bring back the old Music App colour scheme and return the Phone keypad or create something more sexy since the new one is TACKY.

Social Network Hide Option: I'm not opposed to Social Networks being integrated in iOS, but for those of us that don't use them their presence are just clutter in certain menus, such as when I'm trying to share photos. A simple option in the Settings to hide their appearance would be very helpful.

OS X Additions: Introduce the new Mountain Lion dock and uni-bar in Safari.

Dinh

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
iOS 5 - Integration with Twitter.

iOS 6 - Integration with Facebook

iOS 7 - Integration with LinkdIn ?:confused::confused:

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Simple things really.

I don't want the springboard to change. I'd like widgets, but I'd prefer those on the notification centre rather than clogging up the springboard.

Open up the notification centre API so that developers can create widgets for the NC.

Better use of the lockscreen, weather widget etc.

Ability to quick reply to messages (in fact, just hire the developer of Messages+ please Apple!)

Quick compose SMS (in the same way as Tap to Tweet and Tap to Post)

Toggles in the notification centre (again, Apple, just hire the guy behind NCToggles)

Other than that, not a great deal really!

Fietsbel

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
  • Explicit way to add words to dictionary
  • Live icons (like Calendar app)
  • More integrated Siri (set an alarm in Siri, then Siri will tell you it's done... small but meaningful changes)
  • Notification dictation - swipe on a email/message notification, and the message will be read to you without switching app
  • Unified "omnibar" in Safari - like the desktop version
  • Better (or simply fewer) standard apps
  • Unify and refine UI - is it blue, white or black that's the main colour for apps?
  • AirDrop functionality for iOS
  • Block callers and texts
  • "Quick actions" - like the tweet and FB buttons in notification centre, but provide an SDK to allow apps to integrate into this
  • Notification Centre widgets. Not too essential, but could add some good functionality
  • Enhanced security - only lock when away from house etc
  • Integrate FB messages into Messages app (unlikely)
  • Extend FaceTime (meant to be open standard) and iMessage to android, WM, Windows etc. (unlikely)
  • Ability to change camera lockscreen shortcut to any app
  • Ability to select solid colours as wallpapers
  • Passcode protect access to apps
  • Extend Guided Access (i.e., specify can't move away from certain domain in Safari)
  • Shared storage for apps - a "folder" where every app can add and retrieve data, to share pictures or documents for example
  • Buy Cue (the app) and integrate into Spotlight. Allow much deeper integration of personal details into OS, Spotlight and Siri. Like Google Now, but even deeper.
  • Integrate Yelp - read reviews in Maps, rather than being directed to app.
  • Sync email settings between devices

Loads more I can think of, but those would all be great changes. Also left Maps out of it, because of where I live I've not been too bothered by the change even though I recognise how rough it is.
Good one, indeed a lot of points that are inconsistent atm

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
iOS 5 - Integration with Twitter.

iOS 6 - Integration with Facebook

iOS 7 - Integration with LinkdIn ?:confused::confused:

haha, I was thinking something like that (as a joke of course). Makes you wonder what the hell the OS team does for an entire year!

At this point I'd be surprised (but pleased) if we even got themes and the ability to place icons where ever we wanted. Seems to be too much for the brains in Apple Development, though they've been in the JB community forever.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
1. Full screen iPad notification centre with developer api's to add live info, like weather and stock apps do now on iPhone. Up to developer how these look, but must be all the same size.

2. Swipe up to open multitasking bar on iPhone

3. Resizing on app icons on home screen?

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I don't think any of these are big and earth-shattering, but each one has managed to annoy me on a regular basis.

• Landscape home and lock screen for the iPhone, like the iPad
  • Voice navigation prompts over bluetooth, the way Siri works.
  • Facebook integration: Better linking of fields. Every contract I link has two phone numbers because it doesn't be able to tell that +1 XXX-XXX-XXX that facebook uses is the same as (XXX) XXX-XXXX that my contacts have.
  • Weekday vs weekend notification center scheduling.
  • Facetime as a separate app on the iPhone. I like how it's set up on the iPad. As it stands now half the time I try to start Facetime with my wife I end up calling her by accident.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.