Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kds786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Tennessee
Mine is at 60% with 2 hr 6 min of usage. I'm thinking that's pretty bad. I've done two full charge cycles and nothing has gotten better. I've been trying to test it on 4G (AT&T) so I have tried not to use wifi until now because I'm in a basement.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Last night before I set my phone to charge, it was at:

37% remaining
Usage 5 hours, 6 minutes
Standby 16 hours, 48 minutes

That's pretty good, right?
Today, in comparison, its decent, but not so great (so far):

55% remaining
Usage 3 hours, 39 minutes
Standby 7 hours, 49 minutes

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
right now i'm at 15% with 4 hr 22 min usage and 11 hr 35 min standby. i even turned off LTE half of the day to conserve battery. mostly normal usage online, playing music, phone calls, email, text. 50% brightness. pretty awful battery life. something wrong with my phone? i'm gonna try it out for a couple more days before considering checking it out with Apple Store.

i was getting way better battery with my iPhone 4. at similar amount of usage, i would still be at 50+% with my 4

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
US
please what does this mean? Just took off charger after first charge:
:eek:
A7CFE969-AACB-440B-943E-8D99DCBC0CEF-129-00000001C49458DF_zpsb2a446cb.jpg

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I've been pleased with my battery life so far. I've had each iPhone and this phone has by far the best battery life. Out of habit, I did charge while in the car but I will not do that tomorrow and I'll post the results tomorrow.

I did set up my phone as new and am on AT&T in a part LTE and 4g area.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Here's mine after the second full charge from 0%; LTE the whole time, only iMessage and medium email usage - mostly incoming work email; 2 push email accounts, auto brightness off set to around 30% brightness - what does everyone think?

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    105.9 KB · Views: 116

sam1990

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
I restored via iTunes last night and restored from a fresh backup - I setup my new iPhone 5 as brand new to hopefully stop these issues! I've noticed a significant improvement today. However, usage of 5 hours seems high! I'm sure I've only used my phone for about 2 hours maximum all day!

I was hoping for much better battery life. I hope an update comes out soon and fixes this! My OCD with checking the battery level is ruining me enjoying the new features!

kcz5oh.jpg

thearc

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
I was having poor battery life as well and seeing that people had mixed results by preforming a restore I tried something I forgot.

I never FULLY depleted my battery when I first got the 5.

Two days ago I let my battery completely run out, i then charged it up to 100% without unplugging it. Now I have better then my iPhone 4s battery life!

Wondering if people with battery problems didn't fully let their batteries drain?

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
I was having poor battery life as well and seeing that people had mixed results by preforming a restore I tried something I forgot.

Two days ago I let my battery completely run out, i then charged it up to 100% without unplugging it. Now I have better then my iPhone 4s battery life!

Wondering if people with battery problems didn't fully let their batteries drain?

i would charge mine once it got to 1%, but last night i let it die completely. it sat at 1% for 1/2 hour while i was using twitter, instagram and some texting..

hopefully i see improvements today.

BSherrod

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I think I'm going to try setting up my phone as a new phone if I'm not happy with today's results. Is there any way to get your contacts and messages through iTunes without doing the backup?

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
3 email accounts on push
moderate to heavy browsing
moderate gaming
LTE on all the time

Love my battery life.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    107.2 KB · Views: 111

tiggerr0

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Battery still sucks

So I have tried all the tricks and my battery life is still way worse than my 4. Setup as new, turned off everything that isn't necessary, fully drained and charged a few times, auto brightness everything. By the drive home from work my battery is on its last leg. Not much heavy use during work hours and when I do I'm on wifi. So bummed. I'm hoping this is an iOS flaw and will be fixed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 108

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
3 email accounts on push
moderate to heavy browsing
moderate gaming
LTE on all the time

Love my battery life.

I just got similar battery life yesterday/this morning... see below.

Side note: It looks like you bought some icloud storage yet you haven't exceeded 5 GB (what we get for free)... Is this right? Or I guess a better question would be: Are you paying for 25 GB?

So I have tried all the tricks and my battery life is still way worse than my 4. Setup as new, turned off everything that isn't necessary, fully drained and charged a few times, auto brightness everything. By the drive home from work my battery is on its last leg. Not much heavy use during work hours and when I do I'm on wifi. So bummed. I'm hoping this is an iOS flaw and will be fixed.

This doesn't look too hateful... what is your use composed of (Examples)? Not to mention I've heard the iPhone 4 battery was great and it will be hard to match.

OK so here's mine from yesterday/today:

Usage includes cnn videos, music playing, about 3+ hours of pandora streaming via bluetooth to my home audio system, a tad bit of navigation, many many texts and a few phone calls. I guarantee I could have made it to 1 day standby and I could have easily exceeded 9 hours use. Unfortunately, I had to leave for work in a couple of hours when I took this screenshot and I had to have a fully charged battery. Otherwise I would have pushed it. :D

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    108.4 KB · Views: 101

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
The other thing people might want to try is to disable iMessage and see if that makes a difference. I remember with my 4S, that was the change that made a HUGE difference in my battery since my data connection was constantly being pinged.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
10par9l.png

- 1 email account set to Push
- location services turned on, but only for a very few select apps
- screen brightness set to slightly lower than 50%
- wifi on all day at work
- LTE only at night

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I am going to chime in here about the battery life also. I am usually one that really looks with suspicion at all the folks who buy a new phone and then start to complain but I guess what goes around, comes around. My iPhone 5 battery life is much worse than my old iPhone 4 battery life and I'm really doing nothing different from what I used to do on my 4. I am used to charging every night and my old 4 would have plenty of life left at night before the charge. Now by mid-afternoon I start noticing how low the battery is. In fact I am having to charge it right now and it's only 4:00PM. Very disappointing. Feel bad about accusing people of whining now.

new0rder

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
NYC
I think it had gotten better as I let it drain all the way to end. from 4 to 6 hour now, today I am at 23% with 7 hrs of usage. improving....

image-1.png

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
My best is 8:05 use, 17 hrs SB. But that's with absolutely no music or BT streaming. All net surfing, 4g calls, and some camera and photo editing.

I have to believe when you see usage times of 9-12 hours, there's a fair bit of music or BT streaming in there which can add a few hours to your usage stats. If I played music or streamed BT to my car stereo for 2-3 hours, I'd get my usage up to 10 also. But that's sort of cheating, isn't it?

Either way, way better performance than the 5 hours I got from the 4s. On par with what my 4 used to get.

tiggerr0

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
It looks like the rate I am going I will be charging my phone 2 times per day. Especially since when I am not connected to wifi my battery drains quicker and I cannot connect to my wifi at home. I would do a happy dance if I got 8 hours usage and 20 hours of standby time like I have seen many on this forum have. All I want is to make it through a full day with normal usage.

golfesv

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012

how long does a full charge take for you and is your phone off completely when you charge?

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
I honestly don't know why Apple just didn't use a larger battery. If they released an iPhone 5 that was a tad thicker and had a 3000mah battery, it be better and nobody would care it was 2mm thicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.