Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoGySerbia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I'm going to buy an iPhone 5 very soon. But the first thing I'm thinking about is .... Can Simple-Mobile pre-paid SIM's work with iPhone 5...?

They are having an amazing deal for only 50$... UNLIMITED 4G! Which is great!

If anyone knows anything about it please reply... ;)

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
I'm going to buy an iPhone 5 very soon. But the first thing I'm thinking about is .... Can Simple-Mobile pre-paid SIM's work with iPhone 5...?

It'll work, just not at 4G speeds. Since it uses the T-Mobile network, you'll only get EDGE Internet access speeds.

Obviously your have to cut the microsim down to a nanosim or wait until Simple Mobile gets nanosims.

I use Straight Talk for right now. Since it uses AT&T towers, I'm able to achieve 3G speeds at a 2GB amount.

articulatefool

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012

Simple Mobile runs off T-Mobile HSPA+. So it will work with a Verizon iPhone 5 out of the box or an unlocked AT&T iPhone5.

Don't expect to actually see 3g/4g unless your area has been farmed with the 1900 MHz spectrum.

T-Mobile anticipates that most US markets will be farmed for 1900 MHz by the end of the year.

***Stratight Talk is a better deal as they don't throttle T-Mobile Sims; they only shaft the AT&T guys***

RoGySerbia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
For me it's important to have text & calls UNLIMITED with 4G internet connection... I don't wanna 3G...
I saw today in a mirror of a T-Mobile store that their 50$ "UNLIMITED PLAN" is giving you ONLY first 100MB on 4G network...rest is 3G i think...
So that first 100MB...you gonna spend after few hours on YouTube...

What do you think is the best option for pre-paid users to use iPhone 5 with REAL 4G???

Thanks for replies! ;)

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
For me it's important to have text & calls UNLIMITED with 4G internet connection... I don't wanna 3G...
I saw today in a mirror of a T-Mobile store that their 50$ "UNLIMITED PLAN" is giving you ONLY first 100MB on 4G network...rest is 3G i think...

What do you think is the best option for pre-paid users to use iPhone 5 with REAL 4G???

Thanks for replies! ;)

Straight Talk.

But be aware that any service that advertises “unlimited” data will likely have a hard cap.

When T-Mobile towers come around to supporting the iPhone, I may switch to the $30 prepaid plan with “unlimited” 4G data, unlimited SMS, and 100 minutes.

Norcalchavo

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
Santa Clara, California

Thanks for replies! ;)

For what you are asking you might as well use Verizon since they have the most LTE coverage. If you're willing to sacrifice speed then I would go with a cheap plan: Simple Mobile's $40 for unlimited everything at Edge speeds for now.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Hey did u end up getting Simple Mobile? I am not able to get data to work....as in Safari doesnt load and no other apps connect to the internet except "Whatsapp", I have input the APN as "simple" all lower case without the quotes.

Update: Got it working, just needed to do a Reset Network Settings on the iPhone. Getting 3G and Download speeds of up to 11Mbps Down and 5-7Mbps UP! in Bronzeville Chicago, IL

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.