Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ace08

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Here's my last update onthis issue. THANK YOU APPLE FOR TAKING CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS! Verizon on the other hand, which is where I bought the phone punted this to Apple to clean up. I will NEVER buy another Apple product from anyone BUT APPLE. THEY are FANTASTIC to deal with. Here's what happened. After getting on the phone with VZW tech support they totally determined and recommended I replace the phone. I say great lets set it up. Now, it gets interesting-by the way, I am also a Verizon supervisor in the wireline division but anyway...the vz rep says "well we will send you a new iphone for the defective one we sold you but we need you to buy it again and when we get the defective one back we will credit you back". I told her politely I would not be buying another iphone but wanted my defective unit that you determined was bad to be replaced. I thought she was confused at first but no they actually will tell you the policy on replacing even defective units that they themselves determine as defective will not be replaced unless you buy a new one and wait for your money to be given back to you. Does this sound like a company you want to buy an expensive device from ? So the girl says "well, Apple may just replace it for you, you could always call them" I had a genious appointment today and The genious took it in the back room and came out with a new unit and said they are replacing it! Just that easy and the genious just said now that Apple replaced my VZW phone VZW will not ever replace it agin and I told him I would never give anyone but apple my $ directly next time because he treated me so good today. What a great company Apple is for taking care of their customers. The genious said something about within so many days of launch they really want to take care of their customers. Shows they really care for us I'd say. I know wher my money is going next release and it will not be VZW but Apple directly.

seanpercival01

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Try reset network settings. If that fails, power off phone. Remove sim. Power on phone once more till no sim pops up. Power off once more. place sim back in and power up. is going on a number of times to American state with my humanoid 4G phone and it is a common downside with sim cards. If that does not work, you seemingly would like a replacement sim card. And ne'er do a *228 with a sim card from verizon. you'll be able to fry the cardboard.

ffohwx

macrumors member
May 7, 2010
Fairfield, Ohio
Got my new SIM from AT&T this afternoon. They said I was the 2nd one to come into that store with the issue. Sounds like they had found this thread or the one on Apple's support site as well. Anyway, so far so good. Hopefully it stays that way.

thezinger

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Same thing happened to me. The phone worked fine for the first 2-3 hours, then I got the no SIM message. I restarted it and it worked fine for about another hour, and then the message appeared again. After that I ejected the SIM tray (that thing sure is hard to get out) and then pushed it back in. So far I haven't had any other issues. Crossing my fingers...

ChakaChaka

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I had this issue right after I activated my preordered iphone. I turned off my phone popped the sim out and reinserted back into the phone. This solved it temporarily.

On Saturday my phone displayed the no sim message again, so I took out my sim and reinserted it back into the phone, but this time it didn't work. I had to reset my network settings.

On Monday I had my phone in my pocket while running and that triggered no sim again. I repeated my the sim removal process again. The problem occurred again later on in the day.

Using a replacement sim I got from att....so far no issues knock on wood

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
Well, I guess that it is my turn, now. Just reached for my iP5 and saw the
No Sim message. I turned the phone off. After some 5 minutes, I turned the phone on and everything is back to normal, now.

I trust that I will not need to make a trip for a new sim card

ETA: I have had my iP5 since launch day and am using AT&T.

TeaEarleGreyHot

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Well, I guess that it is my turn, now. Just reached for my iP5 and saw the
No Sim message.

The problem seems to be ongoing. I bought the iPhone Monday, and Tues nite it shut off with the "no sim" message. Retailer re-seated the SIM on Weds for me, and today it went out again. Reseated it myself, called Apple, and while talking to them it went out again. They took me through re-setting the phone, and said if it happens again, that they'll send a new handset.

What I want to know is, whether I just get a replacement SIM from AT&T or whether I get replaced from Apple, how do I ensure that my private data (contact list, etc) is erased from the SIM that is returned? If I just go into an AT&T store, I'm guessing they will just pop out the old SIM and put in a new one, but not bother erasing my data.... Any recommendations?

TeaEarleGreyHot

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
What I want to know is... how do I ensure that my private data (contact list, etc) is erased from the SIM that is returned?

I got the "no sim" message again last night and this time no amount of re-seating the sim card would allow my iphone to work again. This morning I took it in to a local AT&T store, and they quickly replaced the sim, no questions asked. My concern expressed above became moot, as while I was standing there, the kid behind the desk bent the old sim, ripped it open, and began commenting on all the black corrosion he could see, saying it was the "most fried one" he's seen. Well now it's destroyed for sure, no worries about ID theft!

xA4Hx

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2007
AT&T will replace any sim issues for free, I had one phone switch on my account from iPhone to vivd , person who I am letting use that line has changed.

lapeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
ok found a solution..at least for me.

a friend's phone was having problem with his iphone with the no SIM problem.

What worked is that i swapped the sim tray of this iphone with mine and now the phone recognises the sim.

Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.