Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hi, i have a G5 1.8ghz with 3GB ram, its using the latest leopard version it can hold up and its configured with a second 150gb drive (OSX uses a 80GB one). its dual boot configured, Tiger and Leopard, each OSX on each drive, Tiger is on the big drive. The speed when using Leopard is very bad, so i figured to throw in some Activity Monitor pics on how things are and maybe you guys can give a hint on what might be wrong!

Attachments

• ActivityMonitor.jpg
    ActivityMonitor.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It would appear that it is downloading something. Could you post a screen shot of all of the processes in Activity Monitor sorted by CPU percentage?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Post the all running processes list in Activity Monitor sorted by CPU usage. Make sure it's all process and not "My Processes".

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have made screen shots throughout the day to get the whole picture!

Attachments

• ActiveMonitor.jpg
    ActiveMonitor.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 116

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
A few more pics, everything was very slow at the time when i took these! Do you see anything strange?

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 96

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
A few more pics, everything was very slow at the time when i took these! Do you see anything strange?

No, not really, firefox is a bit higher but not very high.

Activity Monitor won't always show problems, I had it a few times when the system is not responding well, but it doesn't show in Activity Monitor.

Edit 1:, just checked your first post, not full.
Another problem could be if your disk is almost full, how full is it?

If for instance you have mere Gb to spare and a few swap files it could be a problem.

BTW, are these all your processes, including Administer Processes?
Open up Activity Monitor and show ALL processes, I have many more than you.
Why is user tab not showing users, you edited it?

Edit 2 : It shows 57 Processes but in the window it shows less!

Last edited:

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
In your Activity Monitor screenshots you're only showing processes that your user account is running - not the actual system itself.

See my screenshot of my Activity Monitor below, running fully upgraded Leopard on a dual 1.8GHz G5 like yours:

RED circle: Select "All Processes", not "My Processes".
BLUE circle: It should then show processes from the system (called "root") and some other system processes.
GREEN circle: weird, never seen POWERPC capitalised before like in your screenshots..

ALSO: I suggest you use TenFourFox to browse the web instead of Firefox. It *is* Firefox, just a PowerPC port of a much newer version of Firefox, with optimisations for PowerPC Macs.

f5rPq.jpg

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
In your Activity Monitor screenshots you're only showing processes that your user account is running - not the actual system itself.

See my screenshot of my Activity Monitor below, running fully upgraded Leopard on a dual 1.8GHz G5 like yours:

RED circle: Select "All Processes", not "My Processes".
BLUE circle: It should then show processes from the system (called "root") and some other system processes.
GREEN circle: weird, never seen POWERPC capitalised before like in your screenshots..

ALSO: I suggest you use TenFourFox to browse the web instead of Firefox. It *is* Firefox, just a PowerPC port of a much newer version of Firefox, with optimisations for PowerPC Macs.

TFF is slow on my quad, it would be really bad on a DP 1.8

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
TFF is slow on my quad, it would be really bad on a DP 1.8

Did they make a DP 1.8? Anyway, OP says its a single 1.8. i owned the one that took eight gigs of ram and it was slower than molasses. The four gig of ram 1.8 must have been a nightmare.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Did they make a DP 1.8? Anyway, OP says its a single 1.8. i owned the one that took eight gigs of ram and it was slower than molasses. The four gig of ram 1.8 must have been a nightmare.

Ya know I looked a Jethryn Freyman sig for the DP 1.8 your right the OP doesn't state that. A single 1.8 would be worse.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
MANY MANY THANX regarding TFF, it is much faster than original FFox, i couldnt believe my eyes!!! :):):)
Only one thing, is there a version of Firebug for it?

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
As far as I know the only G5 tower with a single CPU was a single 1.6GHz. I've got the dual 1.8, which is the crippled model that can only take 4GB memory - no single-processor G5 could take 8GB of RAM. And any version on TFF will be faster than the last PPC version of Firefox

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
As far as I know the only G5 tower with a single CPU was a single 1.6GHz. I've got the dual 1.8, which is the crippled model that can only take 4GB memory - no single-processor G5 could take 8GB of RAM. And any version on TFF will be faster than the last PPC version of Firefox

Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8 (PCI-X) Specs

Identifiers: Power Mac G5 - M9031LL/A - PowerMac7,2 - A1047 - 1969

Single 1.8

Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8 (PCI) Specs

Identifiers: Late 2004 - M9555LL/A - PowerMac9,1 - A1093 - 2020

Single 1.8

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index-powermac-g5.html

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
no single-processor G5 could take 8GB of RAM.

3 of them could: 1.8 single (PCI-X), 2.0 and 2.3 single (DC). Last 2 even 16GB :p

OP, you could try clean 10.5 install, update combo to 10.5.8 (after that do all updates via Software Update) then customize it with Xslimmer or Monolingual (be careful with that). At the very last use justperry's "trick" with manual deleting kexts unnecessary for your machine (see his post in FAQ).

BTW, what exactly do you mean by "slow"? Overall, Internet, video, applications, games? What graphics card you're using?

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
As an alternate to Ten Four Fox you can also run Camino which is still current with the Mozilla project. I prefer it on PPC Macs it has a lot of other things installed by default like click to flash and its light and fast.

Firefox is a memory hog and it always has had a substantial memory leak. Get rid of it and run a current browser, either Ten Four Fox, or Camino.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
As an alternate to Ten Four Fox you can also run Camino which is still current with the Mozilla project. I prefer it on PPC Macs it has a lot of other things installed by default like click to flash and its light and fast.

Firefox is a memory hog and it always has had a substantial memory leak. Get rid of it and run a current browser, either Ten Four Fox, or Camino.

I'd also recommend Camino. It runs great on my PowerPC Mac.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8 (PCI-X) Specs

Identifiers: Power Mac G5 - M9031LL/A - PowerMac7,2 - A1047 - 1969

Single 1.8

Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8 (PCI) Specs

Identifiers: Late 2004 - M9555LL/A - PowerMac9,1 - A1093 - 2020

Single 1.8

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index-powermac-g5.html

Yes, I had the earlier model single 1.8 that took 8 gigs of ram and had a 900mhz bus; two years later the single 1.8 only took 4 gigs of ram and had a 600mhz bus.

The earlier model was slow. My mom's 2.0ghz iMac G5 ambient sensor was faster.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
It seems that Firefox is using very little virtual memory, could this be the issue and if so, how can i put more VMemory to Fireboxes usage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.