Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Save money? You realize the electricity in your car isn't free right? It runs off the alternator which is belt driven by the engine which is powered by gasoline which is more expensive than electricity. The bigger the electric load on the alternator, the more parasitic drag there is. Either way, the power requirments are too small to notice, but you aren't doing yourself any favors in the money saving department.

Yes gasoline is more expensive than electricity, hence a portion of the beauty of electric cars, but I monitor the mileage very very closely in my car and plugging a car charger in has made no discernible difference. The running engine creates enough power/electricity that it can charge a phone and not use extra fuel. And since I've purchased my car about 20% of the miles I've driven are on electric alone. It's definitely saving money as the amount of electricity and fuel needed to run a car so completely dwarfs a car charger it basically has no effect.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
Mine charges a lot slower then my 4S. Not sure why

Me too. I just finally charged mine on the wall charger again at 60% and it started out really good going more than 1% per minute and now it's at 1 hour 10 minutes and at 99%. And that's only starting at 60% so I don't know what's going on since it started so fast.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
Me too. I just finally charged mine on the wall charger again at 60% and it started out really good going more than 1% per minute and now it's at 1 hour 10 minutes and at 99%. And that's only starting at 60% so I don't know what's going on since it started so fast.

So it's fully charged and it took exactly 82 minutes to get from 60-100%. I used the clock timer app. That's ridiculous. Can't be right.

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2010
thought I was the only one

Yesterday it took longer than it usually takes for me to do the 4.

f1restarter

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2005
London
My iPhone 5 is definitely charging much faster than my previous iPhone 4S. Infact it's probably the fastest charging phone I have owned coming from Blackberry 9900 and a few android phones from HTC G1 to Sony Xperia Mini and the first HTC Windows Phone 7.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Yes gasoline is more expensive than electricity, hence a portion of the beauty of electric cars, but I monitor the mileage very very closely in my car and plugging a car charger in has made no discernible difference. The running engine creates enough power/electricity that it can charge a phone and not use extra fuel. And since I've purchased my car about 20% of the miles I've driven are on electric alone. It's definitely saving money as the amount of electricity and fuel needed to run a car so completely dwarfs a car charger it basically has no effect.

You still aren't saving money. The batteries in the car need to be charged too. Charging = heat, heat = wasted energy. So you're charging your phone which produces some heat, then whatever power went into your phone was pulled from the battery packs, which need to be charged.

You don't see a difference because of the minute amount of power required to charge the iphone. Just like you wouldn't' see a difference in your electric bill if you charged it at home. You're losing efficiency, not gaining it.

Like I said, the power requirements are so small that it doesn't really matter. Just want to point out that you aren't saving money by charging through your vehicle. Electric or otherwise.

Halopend

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010

2IS is right. http://www.todaysiphone.com/2012/09/iphone-5-costs-41-cents-a-year-to-charge/

It cost about 41 cents a YEAR!!! to charge an iphone 5 once a day every day for a year. A hybrid would consume about 1L of gasoline (using the energy density of gas and a complete shot in the dark at the efficiency of conversion) in a year to charge it everyday for a year. So technically your over doubling your cost to charge your phone in the car! The only reason you don't notice it's simply too small an amount to notice.

Kugabee

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
My iphone 5 charges slow too...

My iPhone 5 charges significantly slower that my iphone 4. I am using a lightning to USB cable from my MacPro. No reason it should be charging this slowly. Anybody actually know the reason? If you don't have this problem, don't know why this problem occurs, or if you're just a snarky jerk, don't reply. Looking for someone with some actual knowledge. Thanks.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Can't compare as I've never had another iPhone, but one of the first things I noticed when I got my i5 was how FAST it charged.

From dead or 1% to a full charge it takes about an hour and a half. Compared to my old Droid phones I thought this was amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.