Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
chipmunk shows MD645 for mine too, however on the device in Settings it is listed as ND643LL :(

http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi

Hi

My replacement says ND296LL, I have a 32gig white phone for AT&T

and my push notification does not work on my new device. So I'll just keep my old one since push has benn working fine on that. Difference between the two s I restored software on old one and not new one.

New one came in white box no accessories.

bmik33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I'll be going to apple tomorrow hoping to change my phone out. Home button sucks since I opened it on friday. I should be good right?

(bought through verizon)

iPhoneBangla

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
push email issues on VZW iphone 5 white 16gb. Verizon overnighting brand new replacement, will get tomorrow. However, had to pay again, which will be refunded after I return old one.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Got my white box replacement from Apple today and it has a small scratch on bezel and a scratch on the aluminum back.

I've been using the original one naked since last Friday and there is just no way to keep these bezels from scratching unless you use a case from the start.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
My original 64 gig black was an MD644LL. It had 2 small nicks on the bezel that I had accepted. Then I saw a small hair under the screen. That grew to bother me enough that I exchanged it last night. I looked the replacement over and it looked perfect. Nothing on the bezel, but the light in the store made it difficult to examine the screen. After I left the store I looked at settings and it was an ND642LL. Same production plant and week number as my original. She checked for a retail replacement but there were none in stock, so I had to take a service replacement. After I got home and started sycning, I see a small scratch on the glass to the left of the home button. Less than 1/2 inch long and not on the active area of the screen. Can only see it in certain light. So now I'm trying to decide if I should go for another replacement. Aside from that, this one is flawless. Nothing on the aluminum at all.

Would you accept a 1/4" long scratch on an inactive part of the screen? It is only visible when the light hits it just right...

Insilin1i

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I wouldn't, if your like me it will pretty much always grab your attention. You will see it every time you look at your phone and know your phone was damaged before you even bought it.

I wish my store had replacement stock :mad:

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I wouldn't, if your like me it will pretty much always grab your attention. You will see it every time you look at your phone and know your phone was damaged before you even bought it.

That's generally how I feel about it. I just look at it and think it's hardly noticeable, but I'm just wondering if I'm being too OCD about it. And OCD thread on an OCD forum is probably not the right place for a reality check. lol I will most likely go for 1 more replacement and go over it with a fine tooth comb before I leave with it. Hopefully they have retail stock when I do so I can get an MD model number, but I can get past that one.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
I noticed my replacement was made at different factory in china than my original was that is why I the beginning letters of serial number are different. And AppleCare said that is why the model numbers are different. The replacement has no scratches or flaws on it and my push notifications worked out of the box not like my other unit that took 3 days and restoring the software to get the push notifications to work.

megsalias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Mobile, AL

I tried to have mine replaced via mail, and the one I got was in worse shape than the original. The guy I talked to at Apple called the Apple store closest to me an got them to hold one for me. I have to go get it on Saturday.

dunxxx

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
SF, CA
Order through the Apple Store App. Received my 32GB Black ATT on Friday 21st. The right side of the bezel was all scuffed. Made a genius appointment. Yesterday received a flawless replacement no problem. Very easy experience, great customer service.

Insilin1i

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Replacement stock seems to be coming in 1 day deliveries. I had gone yesterday to the store and but in an order for one and they called this afternoon and it was already there.

djepsilon

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Calgary, AB
Pre-ordered a 64GB white and received it launch day. Has a nick on the front fascia below the home button and has screen light leakage at the top. Called Apple yesterday to have it replaced. They told me that I couldn't take it to a store because it was factory unlocked (which the stores don't carry) and that I had to ship my phone back before they would send me another one. Looked today and my replacement iPhone is "Preparing to Ship"... but I'm not sure if that just means they are waiting for the damaged one to arrive.

I really don't want to go weeks without a phone. Do I have to make a stink in order to get them to send a new phone before they receive the damaged one? Or should that be standard? Anyone know? Keep in mind I'm in Canada.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Today I went to the Genius Bar for my iPhone 5's Wi-Fi issue. The tech seemed to not know (or pretended) about the Wi-Fi issues in the news. He was trying to blame my Wi-Fi connection. But I told him that I am having the issue on multiple Wi-Fi networks. So then his diagnostic test showed some sort of "Wi-Fi crash" in the logs. He insisted that it would be fixed with a restore. Told him I tried that already. Then side by side, he pulled out his 4S and my 5. Both connected to Apple Store Wi-Fi, we did Speedtest.net app. I got 1.7M down and his 4S got 8M down.

So he finally agreed... I have a Wi-Fi problem.

But... they didn't even have replacements in stock... so he ordered me one. 2-3 days he estimated. They will be calling me when it arrives.

sup007

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
i am thinking should i get my iphone 5 replaced, mine is scratched out of box as well.
are there any user here from canada with unlocked iphone 5, and got an replacement from apple store?? Since they don't sell the unlocked version in store, I am wondering do they have any replacement stock.

Laguna Seca

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
If I ordered my phone through at&t, can I exchange it at an Apple Store? I would exchange it at a at&t store, but I believe they charge a restocking fee while Apple doesn't.

MistaGavin

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Apple sent me a replacement for having a dead pixel on my 5. They didn't put a hold on my card or charge me the $29.00 for the express bs. They didn't even tell me what to do with my old one. Anyone send one back? How does that work?

djepsilon

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Calgary, AB
i am thinking should i get my iphone 5 replaced, mine is scratched out of box as well.
are there any user here from canada with unlocked iphone 5, and got an replacement from apple store?? Since they don't sell the unlocked version in store, I am wondering do they have any replacement stock.

I'm currently trying to get my unlocked phone replaced (see above). I was told by a rep on the phone that it depends on the store manager you talk to. They might replace it for you in the store IF they have stock, but a lot of the time they don't (cuz they're unlocked phones). The apple rep said they usually will just order it online for you, which doesn't save you much time in the long run.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
My replacement was a new in box phone. It has a half inch scratch across the aluminum on the back. Its harder to see in the re-sized picture but its very obvious in person.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    868.7 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:

ralturki

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Rochester, NY
Mine had some dents, and noise when I use the headphone (I tried the headphone on my 4 with no noise, so I knew the problem from iPhone's headphone jack). Called Apple, and they sent me a replacement.

When I got the replacement, I called again to tell them I would like to keep the cable from the first iPhone, Apple guy replied: "just send the damaged iPhone, you can keep anything else".

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I dropped my iPhone 5 onto the sidewalk, ended up with a badly deformed edge. I went the Apple Store ready to hand over $229 for a replacement (I did already file a claim with Amex); instead the Genius worked some magic and got the replacement done for free.

Replacement model is ND643LL; original one was unlocked and replacement seems to be unlocked (tried with T-Mobile SIM). Production week is 36 and it arrived in store in September 20th (said that one the white box); so I guess it's not really a refurbished unit.

Fredvs79

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
For those that got an exchanged phone, what is the model number you see in Settings -> General -> About ?

My original pre-order (AT&T 64GB white) had nicks and I got it replaced from the apple store. The model number on the replacement phone reads ND643LL. The first phone with the nicks had MD645LL.

Serial number on the replacement unit starts with F2XXXXXX -> So this does not seem refurbished (5KXXXXX series) that I read on other forum posts.

Anyone knows what ND643LL means ?

No info on the ND643LL, but I too am identical to U - 64Gb AT&T white i5 with MD645LL model is now replaced with ND643LL and F2XXXXXX serial.

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
I bought my iPhone 5 16GB out of contract from Radio Shack (Verizon)

and ....and I realized that 16GB is not enough. I have been calling them every day and they said new shipments haven't arrived / people with pre-orders still need theirs filled out, etc.

I asked if I could do an exchange at an Apple Store and pay difference (since it's retail and stuff, but then I remembered that they dont sell Out of Contract until after a few weeks) so that obviously didn't work

It's getting closer and closer to my 30 day deadline to exchange/return. I GUESS I COULD just return the phone and go wait patiently until a 32GB black out of contract comes in...

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
My current iPhone 5 has an interlacing like issue where I can see vertical "scan lines" through the screen. Especially evident on the keyboard and the bars at top of screen when the brightness is set high.

The iphone 5 before this had a loose screen, fortunately I noticed in the store before the swap was completed and got the one I have now.

iPhone5 before that had the same interlacing problem where I could see vertical lines.

The iphone5 before that had a scratch out of the box and horrible battery life

The phone before that (original) had a dent out of the box by the headphone jack, but was otherwise perfect

Unfortunately i cant check the screen before the swap is completed as I'm told in the store that I can't turn on the replacement unit until they are done the swap, as the phone won't be unlocked (paid full price in Canada). By the time they are done the swap and I have the phone on and activated, the genius is on to the next iPhone appointment.

On advice of apple care I made 3 back to back appointments for tomorrow...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.