Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
Let's see so far we have:

Scuff gate
Light leakage
Mapgate
Warped iPhones
Yellow screens

Now headaches? Really?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Yikes, I had a headache all weekend!!
I'll have to take my iP5 back. Damn!!

It couldn't have anything to do with all the drinking I was doing, could it? :confused:

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
If you're getting headaches it's probably not from using the iphone. It's probably coincidence and you need to see a doctor. Getting headaches is your body telling you that there is something wrong.

It is running on 3G and wifi. Maybe I'll just get used to it.

MHaynes772

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Actually you bunch of smartasses...What I found out from a friend is that some noise canceling headphones can even cause headaches and it's possible whatever noise canceling stuff is in the new iPhone can cause that on certain people.

Modscott

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
omg whatever dude

----------

You're killing me. Let me guess you'll soon go buy a galaxy s3 and you'll suddenly become smarter? Or ever start growing more hair on your head. :rolleyes:

You're right! These posts are all part of an evil plot to do as much damage to the reputation of the new iPhone as humanly possible. You got us! Actually, the part you missed is that every single person that is complaining about this, including many on this forum, are really employees of Google and work in the Android division. This whole issue has been made up solely in order to push as many people to the Android side as humanly possible.

Get a life. If you have nothing constructive to say then don't bother responding.

ggpike

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Actually you bunch of smartasses...What I found out from a friend is that some noise canceling headphones can even cause headaches and it's possible whatever noise canceling stuff is in the new iPhone can cause that on certain people.

This is absolutely true. A close friend of mine is a pro golfer and about a year ago started suffering from vertigo and bad headaches. It was bad enough that he had to withdraw from a couple of tournaments and his game suffered from him being off balance. They found that this started after he received a pair of noise canceling headphones for Christmas and began using them while traveling. They talked to the manufacturer who admitted that while the effect is not common, it does happen to some people. So this could be a similar thing. To discount it would be a little dishonest since the possibility is there.

laz305

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Miami
First hiccup I've had is sometimes when typing a letter will flash constantly. Anybody else experience this?

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Sorry to hear about your headaches...

Sometimes if I have the brightness up too high I get headaches too, but looks like this is something else.

wiestlingjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
For those wondering, I swapped my phone out at an Apple store, and have not had any problems since. It's pretty crazy.

I don't know what was causing it, but I do not have any of the symptoms with the new phone.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
For those wondering, I swapped my phone out at an Apple store, and have not had any problems since. It's pretty crazy.

I don't know what was causing it, but I do not have any of the symptoms with the new phone.

Glad to hear the swap worked out for ya!! :)

------------------

The immaturity reflected in this thread is appalling !!! :rolleyes:

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Congrats on feeling well again. :)

It's good to know that, although we don't know exactly why, it was a hardware issue for you and not a medical issue (illness).

wiestlingjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Thanks everyone.. I came her to vent a real problem. If it wasn't really happening, I wouldn't have posted it here. I have owned every version of the iPhone, and this was the first and only one that ever causes me an issue.

It must have been a hardware problem, and I'm glad the swap worked for me.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC

Could be the LCD screen refresh rate? This can cause headaches in some people.

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
I'm glad the swap worked for the OP too. I think people should be a lot more cautious before dismissing complaints like these. I had a series of LG phones on Verizon which were a guarantee of headaches for any call lasting longer than about five minutes. Much less of a headache problem for me on a Moto z6c and then a Droid, none so far on my Galaxy S3.

The SAR rating from the Federal Communications Commission is a helpful prediction but not the only factor in this. For the frequencies used in my market -- 700MHz LTE and 800MHz cellular -- the SGS3 has exceptionally low SAR. But sample-to-sample variation, and variations in tower locations, even variations in interference from devices in your home, I am sure from experience that all of these have an impact. I'd not be in the least bit surprised if the OP's original iPhone had a loose connection or was misconfigured in some way, that was forcing it to either crank up the power or else leading to it uselessly powering up on an unused frequency (e.g. on LTE during a voice call). If the OP is still here, perhaps a comment on battery life for the replacement phone compared to the original would be in order.

mjamus

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
This is a real issue

So I can positively say that this is not a "power of suggestion" but a real issue. And the other user is ABSOLUTELY correct - its the noise cancelling.

From the Wall Street Journal's Health Mailbox - "Noise-cancelling headphones can cause headaches and motion-sickness in some people"

This is exactly the feeling I get from the new iPhone and I don't know what I'm going to do about it.

Here is the best way I can describe it: Do you know the feeling you get as you are driving up a mountain, when the altitude is changing, and you feel pressure in your ear? That's the feeling, but it's just in one ear and for me the obvious cause is the phone.

Any suggestions? Can the noise cancelling be turned off?

Scottyj97

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
I am also experiencing this feeling. I thought at first it was just a fluke, but no matter what ear I use or who I talk to I get the same feeling. It feels like the ear that doesn't have the phone up against it is being "suctioned cupped". Or like it has a magnetic force coming in through to the phone on the other side. I don't know how else to describe it, but it makes me feel dizzy and it gives me a headache instantly.

I just got my phone today and thought I was going crazy. Driving to and from work I was on the phone, highway driving, and was getting frustrated with the suction cup feeling to my ear. Soon after I would get a sharp head pain. I got off the phone, and it slowly went away. I decided to google the problem and sure and ****, a whole thread of people describing exactly the same feelings I had. I've owned every iPhone that doesn't have an S, and have never had anything like this. The noise canceling thing on the phone was something that I thought was pretty cool. A lot easier to focus on the conversation, but if that is the actual cause of the problem, that would be too bad. Is there a way to turn it off?

For those of you discounting the issues people are having in this regard really are ignorant. I would love to be one of you that isn't having this issue. However, put yourself in our shoes where everytime your on the phone you get a freaking headache, very frustrating. The lady at the AT&T store was great with me today, I'm going to give her a call tomorrow and will post anything useful that she tells me.

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
This is interesting.

I've had my 4S for almost a month now, and have been using it a lot, with no problems.

The other day, I must have been staring at that screen on the Internet/Apps for like 4 hours. Brightness quite low (like 20% up), and all of a sudden, I got a major case of vertigo, like I actually thought the room was rotating in a circle. I freaked out and quickly snapped out of it. Made me dizzy and sick feeling all the next day. When I use the phone again, I start getting that dizzy/woozy feeling.

This is INSANE as I don't know wtf to do about it and don't know what triggered it (something going on with the phone all of a sudden or something about how my eyes focusing so much on it just triggered something).

It's screwed me up for a couple of days now, just feeling more prone to dizziness.

Mjogi

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
I got my iPhone 5 the first week of October 2012. I used it mostly for reading. I have used the 4s and 3GS for the last few years.

For 4 weeks after getting the iPhone 5 I developed progressive nausea, dizziness, vertigo and headaches. Never had these problems before. Saw multiple doctors and scans negative. I could not even look at the new iPhone screen by the end of the 4 weeks without aggravating the vertigo sensation. The apple genius had no way to test my iPhone screen other than to hand me his phone and ask me how i felt looking at that. Viewing the screen of the iphone5 seemed to sensitize me to any LCD or LED screen to cause the same symptoms. It took me a while to realize the phone was the source of the problem. I don't think the noise canceling aspect had anything to do with it. I believe the phone caused my symptoms. If i stayed away from the phone my symptoms would improve. Within 2-3 days of returning the phone my symptoms resolved. I suspect it had something to do with the screen color saturation but am not sure.

I would be interested to know how many other people are having similar issues. I already know a few others. It was hard to believe, but once the phone was gone, the dizziness went away in all cases.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
If the brightness is full you will get headache easily.Put the brightness to low levels when you are using it for long term.

Put some wine and music also and there you go :D :D

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I got my iPhone 5 the first week of October 2012. I used it mostly for reading. I have used the 4s and 3GS for the last few years.

For 4 weeks after getting the iPhone 5 I developed progressive nausea, dizziness, vertigo and headaches. Never had these problems before. Saw multiple doctors and scans negative. I could not even look at the new iPhone screen by the end of the 4 weeks without aggravating the vertigo sensation. The apple genius had no way to test my iPhone screen other than to hand me his phone and ask me how i felt looking at that. Viewing the screen of the iphone5 seemed to sensitize me to any LCD or LED screen to cause the same symptoms. It took me a while to realize the phone was the source of the problem. I don't think the noise canceling aspect had anything to do with it. I believe the phone caused my symptoms. If i stayed away from the phone my symptoms would improve. Within 2-3 days of returning the phone my symptoms resolved. I suspect it had something to do with the screen color saturation but am not sure.

I would be interested to know how many other people are having similar issues. I already know a few others. It was hard to believe, but once the phone was gone, the dizziness went away in all cases.

But is it really the screen? How much do you talk on the phone? It's been reported by others, enabling the hearing aid mode turns off the noise canceling and the issues from it. And if it is the screen, how bright do you have it?

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I've gotten headaches but its when I'm using GPS while talking in the phone and having it plugged into the car charger at the same time. I figure its too much radiation so I don't do it for long. Sometimes my phone calls make being on a headache but it could be from another reason and the phone just enhanced it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.