Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riffz

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
I don't understand how people can visit a site called macrumors and still ramble on about doubling down on secrecy..

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Dear Apple,

Time to stop focusing on the thinness and weight of your products and instead now focus on power, features, and battery life on ALL devices.

My MacBook Pro Retina is just slightly thicker than my iPhone 5! And both are incredibly light and easy to carry.

PLEASE move on to more important things now.

Signed,

A loyal Apple fan.

-

bryan85

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Maybe it has nothing to do with making thinner laptops. This could be the lower profile backlight they need to finally put it in the wireless keyboards. That would be awesome! :cool:

jhpadilla

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008

Poor HP, Acer, and other apple-copycats... They'll have to redo all their designs like Apple's again so they can say that 'apple doesn't own carbon fiber'...

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Well, if they make this thinner, along with a few other components, it could easily mean a significantly thinner MBA. The ORIGINAL MBA was thin, and they blew everyones mind when the newer one was released. They'll probably blow our minds again. :D

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Sounds like great news, but would the the MacBook Air cannibalize MacBook Pro sales, or perhaps vice versa?

Just like they did with the White Macbook the MBA's are now cannibalizing the 13" MBP because of it's comparable (and in some cases better) performance, better screen, and slimmer profile. I'd imagine that this will be the 13MBP's last hurrah on it's own. After they release it's Retina sibling, I give it one more year until Apple kills it. Good machine, but the MBA has caught up in performance causing most people (myself included) asking "is the extra bulk really worth it?".

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Profile picture of the next gen Macbook Air:

0001.png

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Just like they did with the White Macbook the MBA's are now cannibalizing the 13" MBP because of it's comparable (and in some cases better) performance, better screen, and slimmer profile. I'd imagine that this will be the 13MBP's last hurrah on it's own. After they release it's Retina sibling, I give it one more year until Apple kills it. Good machine, but the MBA has caught up in performance causing most people (myself included) asking "is the extra bulk really worth it?".

Nope...and never looked back

DennisD7

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
London, UK
Not to be a party pooper but 0.15 mm is less than 1% of the total thickness of a Macbook Air (at 17 mm). I mean it's still nice, but this change alone would literally be imperceptible.

ryckmonster

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
I don't think this is motivated for slimming their notebooks down.

My guess is that the thinner light guide provides some other advantage.. Like reducing the LED power required for backlighting. (These thinner light guides are typically used in cell phone keypads.)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Apple is working with suppliers on a new process that will enable the company to shave 0.15 mm from the thickness of the light guide.

A difference of 0.15mm seems a negligible reduction in thickness that would by itself be essentially imperceptible by users if it were even to translate to slightly thinner overall profiles for the machines, but the company is likely pursuing the reduction for some purpose.
article sub-quote said:
Since the current injection process for the production of 0.4mm light guide plates has been optimized to its limit, makers utilizing extrusion processes are likely to win orders for 0.25mm light guide plates, the sources indicated.
The process of extrusion is continuous and the process of injection is batch. This will make the part cost less than half as much and that alone is the likely reason.

It is notable such a granular item made it to a public leak.

Rocketman

BTW I wonder what a pallet of iPhone lenses looks like? Photo?

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
how about instead of trying to make your amazingly thin and fast notebooks even thinner, you come out with a freakin imac already!!!!!! holy jesus enough is enough....

Curious as to why people wa t this so bad. I have a 27" apple tb display with an air or pro that I just plug in at my desk, best of all worlds surely?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
One of these days I'll convince my wife to let me buy a new MBA....

Although I suppose the new house was enough for this year :p

Looking forward to Apple continuing to bolster their macbook line. I love the way they've gone (MBA and MBR) and have been coveting a 13inch Air for quite some time. Maybe by the time I'm able to get one, this size reduction will have happened!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.