Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Then the obvious solution is to exchange your iPhone. Make a genius appointment and be sure that you document this problem with Verizon and Apple in case something else happens.

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
My iPhone is doing the exact same thing. I made a thread too, the thing runs up my data usage :(

Ditto and posted in other threads as well.

This is going to be much worse for apple than scratchgate if people start getting overage charges from this.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I just did some testing to determine if the phone will use cel data when Wifi is active.

I joined a Wifi network I control, and nullrouted the IP of my phone. So basically the phone was still on the Wifi network, but couldn't access the Internet.

At this point, nothing worked. No web pages would load. E-mail checking would hang. I waited a good several minutes; the phone didn't drop off wifi or ever use LTE to do anything.

I then removed the null routing and everything started working again.

Keep in mind that when the screen is off, the phone will eventually disconnect from Wifi to save battery. However when it wakes up it will immediately reconnect.

The only thing that seems to always use cellular data regardless of wifi state are MMS images. so if you are texting lots of images (especially the large ones taken by the phone) this may be the cause of your data usage.

Gonna do a bit more testing. I wish I could sniff LTE traffic to see when the phone sends it... maybe I should find someone with a scope, and then I can build a small antenna and hold it next to the phone to watch it transmit... That will tell us for sure!

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Do you two use Verizon, too? Is this provider dependent?

AT&T, with the number of issues being reported and the fact that this happened on my iphone 4s when I upgraded to ios 6 when the GM came out I think that it is an iOS issue in the handling of icloud backups and wifi when screen is locked.

If anybody has icloud backups turned off and is seeing this please post because so far this is the leading theory at least for myself and a few others

eleite

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
it sounds like it switched over to LTE to complete your download. Maybe a problem with your WiFi antenna or even you WiFi connection.

I would say this could be a warning to everyone who downloads large files.

THIS. Happens all the time buddy. If you're going to DL large files it's always a smart idea to go WIFI only (disable your cell radio). Listen, technology isn't perfect, you've got all sorts of factors that can cause a signal flip (from your iPhone to the router you're connecting to).

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
As someone who has worked in tech support, I have to say that there is almost nothing a user could say to me that would convince me their phone is using LTE when connected to wifi. It would get filed under "user error".
I agree. I'm having no issues with data usage. When I'm on wifi, I'm on wifi. No if ands or buts.

Might be a glitch in iOS 6 but if so, it hasn't affected me.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
THIS. Happens all the time buddy. If you're going to DL large files it's always a smart idea to go WIFI only (disable your cell radio). Listen, technology isn't perfect, you've got all sorts of factors that can cause a signal flip (from your iPhone to the router you're connecting to).

lol, so now your new $900. phone cant use wifi and let LTE sit and so you have to turn it off, and your response is, technology is not perfect...lol

I guess its now dataGate.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
I think this is an issue with iOS 6. I posted in another thread how my iphone 5 showed cell data while my wife's 4S didn't when we watched the same youtube video. I did the same test but switched LTE on and off on my phone only and sure enough my data usage went from 15MB to 247MB when watching a youtube video on with LTE on. With LTE off, I still showed data usage from 247MB to 257MB.

I think there are only 2 options here:

1. Apple is Auto-switching to cell data whenever possible. I have Verizon Fios 50/50 connection with Apple routers so my wifi is FAST. No cell signal will ever be faster than my Wifi so the fact that I'm not warned about the switch is bad. The fact that my wife's 4S was able to play the you tube video at the same time using Wifi only tells me that Apple has an issue with this "feature" because my wifi was clearly working fine thus no need to switch.

or

2. Apple has a bug with their Cell Usage screen. It's incorrectly tracking Wifi usage as Cell Data usage. I haven't been able to verify with Verizon yet as I just switched carriers but others have posted that their carrier data usage is lower than the iOS 6 usage.

Either way, Apple needs to fix this. With all the shared plans out there, getting an accurate number for Cell Data is vital now.

eleite

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
lol, so now your new $900. phone cant use wifi and let LTE sit and so you have to turn it off, and your response is, technology is not perfect...lol

I guess its now dataGate.

1st, it's not a $900 phone, it cost me $45 after selling my iPhone 4S.

2nd, i'm saying that wifi dropping out is not necessarily a problem with the iPhone. have you ever used any wireless device and seen it lose its wifi connection? your indirect suggestion that devices should never drop signal means either A) you're technically ignorant or B) you're just another Apple hater

The i5 can't do *everything* over wireless radio, at some point it is a PHONE, remember that?

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
1st, it's not a $900 phone, it cost me $45 after selling my iPhone 4S.

2nd, i'm saying that wifi dropping out is not necessarily a problem with the iPhone. have you ever used any wireless device and seen it lose its wifi connection? your indirect suggestion that devices should never drop signal means either A) you're technically ignorant or B) you're just another Apple hater

The i5 can't do *everything* over wireless radio, at some point it is a PHONE, remember that?

No I am saying if you have selected wifi on, then it should not use your data network until you are out of wifi range. Since you don't understand that simple concept and you are so quick to throw around personal insults I think you may be technically ignorant, but that's OK, we need all kinds in this world. don't beat yourself up.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
I think all versions of the iPhone have this issue but can't prove it. AT&T are horrible of breaking down data usage Verizon app and online seems to be more precise on data usage. Try turning cell data off in settings when on wifi. Only way to be 100% not using data while on wifi

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
the thing that made me suspicious on the first day i got the phone

was that suddenly my wifi was fast as hell on the iphone 5, but not so on my iphone 4.

i was like damn, i hope this sucker is not using LTE instead of wifi...

to be continued......

shawnwich

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Houston, TX
Just checked and this is happening to me too.

Checked by cellular data usage and then watched a youtube video. Went back to usage and it added 10 MB.

WHATS GOING ONNNNN

I have a verizon iphone.

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
Being I don't have LTE to confirm lots of folks are saying the phone will connect to the fastest connection. With the speed of a lot of LTE connections it's very possible it's faster than your wifi so your phone is using LTE over the slower wifi. Not sure if there is a setting somewhere to defeat the behavior other than turning LTE off.

If that's the case which it's not your icon in the top tool bar would switch to LTE and not show the wifi signal.

shawnwich

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Houston, TX
I think people are making assumptions without any real facts

no, this is really happening. lol.

ITS REALLY EASY TO CHECK.

check your current data usage in statistics
connect to wifi
watch a youtube video
go back to statistics (you have to go back a menu, and then back into statistics to get the number to refresh)
notice number increase.

----------

Just talked to Apple Support, and she said I need to manually toggle this. I told her that i never had to do this before, and she said this has always been the case.

:confused::rolleyes:

i argued with her and she told me to go to an apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.