Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
When signal was poor on iOS5x it didn't seem to be a problem.

Typically I'd be down to @50% after 18 hours.

Now I'm down to 7% after 12 hours.
I'm in the same place, doing the same routine, receiving / making roughly the same calls.

EVERYONE I know who upgraded to iOS6 with their existing hardware has a similar problem.

So it may not be a problem specifically with iPhone 5.

Apple: please release an iOS update ASAP! OR let us roll back!

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
while this story might seem obvious to some, the relationship between weak signals (particularly with 3g) and battery life is not widely known by most (i)phone users. my sister is still plagued with terrible battery life on iphone 4s but when i ask her how she saves battery, she tells me she turns off the wifi and bluetooth. this is probably the worst thing one can do to save power unless they are never near any wifi. even a weak wifi connection will use hardly any battery power vs. a decent 3g connection.

RjaylinS06

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
yeah this battery is a joke!!! Worse battery life on any iphone I've every had! No wya apples numbers are accurate!

tiptopp

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Norwich, UK
lol what is LTE? i'm getting 2 bars of edge at my parents place if i'm lucky :D cannot wait to go back to uni and the real world soon

It's another term for 4G, unless I'm wrong on that. Extra speed for internet use. I don't have an iphone 5, but I'm planning on getting the 5S next year. Is talking on 4G clearer than talking on 3G?

I have to laugh, as a Brit. Is this one American not getting the sarcasm of another American? Maybe I'm just old...

Sorry.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I get horrible signal on my Verizon 4S, so much that the battery will drain 5% in one hour with no usage. It's so bad that I leave it on airplane mode while at home and just use my AT&T 3GS.

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
This is nothing new folks. All cell phones have this issue. I don't understand the big deal.

Probably the problem is that all cell phone makers put biger batteries on their cell to make it last longer,while apple on the other hand makes the iphone 1.8mm thinner and keeps the same battery on,is it so hard to put a battery that will last for 12 hours?nope why didn't they do it?because they were unable to make the phone lighter while others can and did in even bigger phones.
Oh right the other phones are made from cheap plastic i forgot:rolleyes: .
Btw i wonder why they say the iphone has anodized aluminum when its clear it doesn't,unless....naaah they can't be that stupid.

----------

Move along everyone, nothing new to see here......

Yup nothing new to see here is just another bludder from apple. :rolleyes:

olegandbuster25

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
This is my first iPhone, and I'm really satisfied with my battery life. Albeit I'm on WiFi most of the time, I managed 12 hours on and off. LTE somewhat degrades my battery life, but it is by no means bad. Props to Apple.

exactly what im thinking. idk what "real numbers" their talking about but i literally have to TRY to kill my phone for it to die at the end of the day.
Battery life is wayyyyy better then any previous iphone ive owned
(all of them)

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
This is why Apple MUST have a removal battery in the 5S.

..just kidding. My iPhone 5's battery life is slightly better than my 4.

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
over the weekend, my ip5 would barely last through the day. after a few full cycle conditioning charges, it now lasts about 1.5 days (w/ almost everything switched on)...

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
I get horrible signal on my Verizon 4S, so much that the battery will drain 5% in one hour with no usage. It's so bad that I leave it on airplane mode while at home and just use my AT&T 3GS.

Usually it's the other way around. I too have had better luck with AT&T in my home.

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
No blunder at all. This is perfectly normal and has been a problem for every cell phone for as long as I can remember.

For me it is a blunder when you have a solution and don't follow it just to make the phone lighter and thinner,form over fuction?
You sould check out how long other phones last now days,they improving while apple is in stall waters(did i wrote that right? :)

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
For me it is a blunder when you have a solution and don't follow it just to make the phone lighter and thinner,form over fuction?
You sould check out how long other phones last now days,they improving while apple is in stall waters(did i wrote that right? :)

Solution to what? I don't have a battery issue. Outside of a Droid with a crappy screen, I don't know of any phones lasting much longer. My co-workers with S IIIs are getting worse battery life than me.

Edit: let's see if this works, here's a link to a shared photostream with my 4S and 5 usage. Notice how much more I used the 5.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A2JtdOXmJf3x1b

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.