Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Grandfathered unlimited. My data plan is now showing as:
Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE without Visual Voicemail

Anyone seen this before? How/why would they not give me Visual Voicemail?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think that is a glitch in their system. Do you already have the phone? If not, wait until you get it to see if it has visual voicemail.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Mine got turned off in my upgrade swap. They actually turned off my mailbox completely. They turned it back on, then when I tested it they didn't give me visual, just a regular mailbox. So when she called back to confirm it was working I said I wanted visual voicemail. She wasn't totally sure what code to use for that, but she looked at my wife's account and got it setup.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
call, when I first got my 5 visual voicemail was not working either. I didn't come directly from another iPhone. A lot of things were messed up on my account. Actually some still are.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I think that is a glitch in their system. Do you already have the phone? If not, wait until you get it to see if it has visual voicemail.

I've had the phone since Friday. I think I lost my visual voicemail overnight; I also got a couple "welcome back" emails from them.

I'm having trouble understanding why a data plan specifically for iPhone w/o VV would exist.

MyPad

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Lost voicemail on the upgrade swap to the 5.

Received a voicemail (I guess, although I had no way of knowing at the time) and the phone popped up with "enter password for voicemail". I cancelled that, but went into Settings, Phone and attempted to change the password. When I did, it had me enter the old password, then new password. Then suddenly a new voicemail appeared.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Ok, called them. They changed me from
"Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE without Visual Voicemail"

to

"Data Unlimited for iPhone"

So now I'm concerned that I won't have LTE.. can't test that from home, need to go about 10 miles north or so to get LTE coverage.

----------

Received a voicemail (I guess, although I had no way of knowing at the time) and the phone popped up with "enter password for voicemail". I cancelled that, but went into Settings, Phone and attempted to change the password. When I did, it had me enter the old password, then new password. Then suddenly a new voicemail appeared.

I didn't see an option for this under Settings->Phone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

That is what mine did the first time I got a new voicemail. It made me enter the VM password. We did not lose it, it is just a security feature for when you backup. The same way all of your apps, email, and social media need the password re-entered.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Crisis averted. My rate plan on the website shows "Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE".

Very curious that they made up a non-VV plan and made that the default, though.

bluer101

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Every time we have gotten new iPhones VV does not work until you put in your voice mail box password. This is for security.

As for the unlimited plan. When I check our account my wife's iPhone 5 says unlimited LTE and mine says unlimited iPhone. So I have no idea what's up, but I still have LTE service and data. I'm sure it's a glitch in the system. I had something similar happen with my text plan when I upgraded to the iPhone 4. After a few weeks I could not send picture messages but my wife could. Are message plans had different wording. I called and they switched it and was fine after that. I'm not calling unless something happens.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Every time we have gotten new iPhones VV does not work until you put in your voice mail box password. This is for security.

You are right. However, what people are talking about here is when you go to the voicemail tab in the phone app, instead of asking for your password, it dials voicemail like its a flip phone from 2005.

I had this as well and when I called AT&T my account was correct already, so the rep called and left me a voicemail and then it popped up asking me for my password.

bluer101

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
You are right. However, what people are talking about here is when you go to the voicemail tab in the phone app, instead of asking for your password, it dials voicemail like its a flip phone from 2005.

I had this as well and when I called AT&T my account was correct already, so the rep called and left me a voicemail and then it popped up asking me for my password.

Yes, I called my phone and left a test message for it to ask for my password. When you first do it it goes to the dial up voicemail. I had to do this on both of my iPhone 5's and iPhone 4's.:)

topoftheclass13

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Called ATT because my visual voicemail isn't working. Nobody knew how to fix it!

I try to save a greeting and it freezes, i have the correct passwords thats not the issue. The rest of the phone works fine but this which leads me to believe its something on crappy ATT's end.

Anyone have any suggestions

----------

Also when I go to settings and try to save a new voicemail password it just keeps loading when trying to save the password. Very frustrating I almost just want to go back to my damn 3gs. Apparently my friend on another network is having the same issue. Apple is claiming a carrier issue but if all of us are having the issues could it be an apple software issue?

Last edited:

redsoxguy676

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2012
Called ATT because my visual voicemail isn't working. Nobody knew how to fix it!

I try to save a greeting and it freezes, i have the correct passwords thats not the issue. The rest of the phone works fine but this which leads me to believe its something on crappy ATT's end.

Anyone have any suggestions

----------

Also when I go to settings and try to save a new voicemail password it just keeps loading when trying to save the password. Very frustrating I almost just want to go back to my damn 3gs. Apparently my friend on another network is having the same issue. Apple is claiming a carrier issue but if all of us are having the issues could it be an apple software issue?
I am having the same exact issue as you with my new iPhone 5. Can't set the voicemail up what so ever.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Use Google Voice. Free visual voicemail, can be accessed from your phone (or anywhere by logging in to voice.google.com), and doesn't depend on your carrier or device

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.