Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1 iron

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Infinite Loop
I sneaked a prototype out of Foxconn. Incredibly light, monster specs, bendable. Truly revolutionary in every which way.

Attachments

• IMG_2532.JPG
    IMG_2532.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 146

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
One of these days I'll convince my wife to let me buy a new MBA....

Although I suppose the new house was enough for this year :p

Looking forward to Apple continuing to bolster their macbook line. I love the way they've gone (MBA and MBR) and have been coveting a 13inch Air for quite some time. Maybe by the time I'm able to get one, this size reduction will have happened!

Hahaha, I want to buy one for the wife but she's so uninterested if what she has ('10 MBP 13") still works.

"No, I like my machine ... and I don't want to set everything back up" (obviously I told her about Time Machine and how hassle free it would be).

"Yeah, but this is _lighter_, and it has SSD so it boots and load apps super fast, and the screen has higher resolution!!!"

"Oh, that's OK, you want a new monitor, just go buy yourself that ... "

:D

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Am currently experiencing mass indecision about which model needs to replace my 2009 MBP. This is just making me think, stick some more RAM in it and hang fire until next year. Will buy an Apple TV and new screen. The MBA 11' is so darned cute, though...

*sigh*

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
I'm actually afraid of breaking my MBA because of its thinness.

I don't think I could dare to touch it if it was thinner.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Hahaha, I want to buy one for the wife but she's so uninterested if what she has ('10 MBP 13") still works.

"No, I like my machine ... and I don't want to set everything back up" (obviously I told her about Time Machine and how hassle free it would be).

"Yeah, but this is _lighter_, and it has SSD so it boots and load apps super fast, and the screen has higher resolution!!!"

"Oh, that's OK, you want a new monitor, just go buy yourself that ... "

:D

Lol we bought an mid-2011 21.5" iMac back in January - now I'm wishing we had a 27" TB display and matching MBAs....lol

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
great, hope they will stop at this thinness otherwise we may slowly end up having to use a microscope in order to use our airs.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Kuo say:

13" Retina Macbook Pro "agessively priced below $1,300" coming in September or October 2012.

WHERE?

lobster68w

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
You know, there comes a point when being thin takes the centre stage over functionality and I think we are at that point, especially with the latest MBP.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
What about the MacPro? Where is it? When is it coming? These two were upgraded not too long ago.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
"Apple will reduce the thickness of light guide plates for the illuminated keyboards in its MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models from 0.4mm currently to 0.25mm in 2013, according to sources in Apple's supply chain."

Tim Cook - "Yeah, we're doubling down on secrecy."

That's a pretty damn specific leak, Tim.

It's just a song and dance.

They can't find a ways to replace the "rumors" that are put out in "professional" news sites to leak out new features, so they're trying to extend the life of the current cajoling by putting on this stunt.

Expect more "rumors" of "leaks" to follow, only more carefully crafted.

It's all marketing. Who said the best products stay? The best marketed ones to drive the largest customer audience do that, and the best marketed products are rarely the best-made or mos-innovative... it truly is about the marketing and ability to sound pretty to your customer base. Apple knows that, so does Microsoft, and so does every other successful entity.

And when the prettiness dies down, you have a backup plan - often with predatory licensing policies (Microsoft got caught and slapped in 1994, but the damage to the market was done) or misuse of patents... if anyone thinks ours is truly a "free market" they've done everything except pay attention... unfortunately...

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
Who cares about the air? There's still no reason for it . . Years have gone by and since it's release, I have yet to find something that puts it in it's own category as far as functionality is concerned. What differentiates it from the crowd?

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
I'm actually afraid of breaking my MBA because of its thinness.

I don't think I could dare to touch it if it was thinner.

While Apple could concentrate more on strength, a workaround is to get a case. Speck makes some decent hard plastic cases...

And, as someone said earlier to this article, the thinness could have more to do with space for batteries... or airflow... those never hurt...

making something thinner doesn't bother me, I couldn't care less about that, performance is everything.

It might bother you if the thinness negatively impacted performance... and higher temperatures lead to lower performance, and lower lifespan long-term...

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Where are the iMac and Mac Pro rumors??

You just missed them. They were on their way out as you came in.

Seriously. Why did you comment on a rumor that is clearly about the MBA and ask about something else?

----------

Who cares about the air? There's still no reason for it . . Years have gone by and since it's release, I have yet to find something that puts it in it's own category as far as functionality is concerned. What differentiates it from the crowd?

Thin and light, more portable than "traditional" laptops. If you are still struggling to find a use for it, then it is obviously not for you.

modular

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
it's hard to imagine the mba getting much thinner. i mean, the usb port height is as thin as it can get unless they decide to remove those.

but it would be smart to use the extra space for added features, weather it be a new type of screen, or battery, or whatever.

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Seriously. Why did you comment on a rumor that is clearly about the MBA and ask about something else?

because people are sitting on their stockpiles of money, awaiting the updates, while all rumors continue to float around about notebooks.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
MacBook Pros are gorgeous. I cannot wait for the upgrade so I can get one.

The soldered RAM and SSD are putting me off a lot though :( It means we have to save our pennies and by a near-maxed out MacBook just so it's future proof.

I hate spending money on RAM for Apple. It isn't super-RAM so it shouldn't be 4x the price.

----------

You just missed them. They were on their way out as you came in.

----------

Thin and light, more portable than "traditional" laptops. If you are still struggling to find a use for it, then it is obviously not for you.

The Air is an engineering marvel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.