Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
A weak cellular signal always drains the battery faster

This is nothing new. A weak or non-existant cellular signal always drains the battery faster than a strong signal, because the phone has to constantly check for it. I barely have reception in my home, and my 4S drains in a few hours. However, when I'm out, and the signal is stronger, it lasts all day. It was the same with iPhone 4 on AT&T.

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Solution to what? I don't have a battery issue. Outside of a Droid with a crappy screen, I don't know of any phones lasting much longer. My co-workers with S IIIs are getting worse battery life than me.

Do they live in a cave?my friends S3 lasts from 10-12 hours full usage and i mean full.
Apple said the battery lasts longer than iphone 4s not iphone4 meaning is better than 4s but worst than 4,they just didn't say it openly.
As for the solution to what question,solution to a mediocre battery at best,if not you are one of the few peeps in the world that doesn't want to have better battery life on his phone.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Do they live in a cave?my friends S3 lasts from 10-12 hours full usage and i mean full.
Apple said the battery lasts longer than iphone 4s not iphone4 meaning is better than 4s but worst than 4,they just didn't say it openly.
As for the solution to what question,solution to a mediocre battery at best,if not you are one of the few peeps in the world that doesn't want to have better battery life on his phone.

They sit next to me in the same office using their phones to play games and listen to music all day. Sorry, but the iPhone battery is not mediocre. It's not outstanding, but gets me through the day with no issue.

Oh, and the 4 and 4S batteries are almost identical except for 3G data usage....which makes perfect sense since the bumped the performance of the 3G and it likely required more battery. Either way, both got me through the day without issue.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
The 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S all suffered from the same issue so I dont see why the 5 would be any different. It is not an iPhone specific problem, with my old dumb Nokias also suffering the same issue.

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Then I find your statement about annodized aluminum confusing.

My friend they didn't use "Special dyes can also be used to color the anodized aluminum for decorative uses" that it is clear that the paint is on top the aluminum or else when you scratch the iphone you wouldn't see the "metal colour" but it would remain black.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
My friend they didn't use "Special dyes can also be used to color the anodized aluminum for decorative uses" that it is clear that the paint is on top the aluminum or else when you scratch the iphone you wouldn't see the metal but it would remain black.

You clearly didn't read your own article. Annodized aluminum will only have a thin layer of color. Below the "rust" later that grows on top, there is still silver colored aluminum.

NOBODY questions that it's annodized...except you.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Worst case scenario if you charge your phone every night, if you're using LTE for 5 out of 16 hours in a day, that's about 1/3 of the day staring at a screen. What a boring day.

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
They sit next to me in the same office using their phones to play games and listen to music all day. Sorry, but the iPhone battery is not mediocre. It's not outstanding, but gets me through the day with no issue.

Oh, and the 4 and 4S batteries are almost identical except for 3G data usage....which makes perfect sense since the bumped the performance of the 3G and it likely required more battery. Either way, both got me through the day without issue.

Ofc it was a joke when i said if they live in a cave,anyway you are lucky if you are satisfied with it,i have a iphone 4 and whille co workers curse the battery on iphone 4s they have i am ok not very good or excellent just ok with the battery,i hope one day apple will find a solution on its own way and really increase the battery juice.

MKSoft

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
It is not the iPhone that is at fault

Well, I should say, this is a cell phone issue in general.

Try this - with any cell phone, keep it on but don't use it. Then go somewhere where the signal is either very weak or not available (better if it is just very, very weak)

The battery will run down in a few hours, much faster than one would want or expect. This is just the cost of the cell phone handshake that happens with the cell towers such that it can ring the phone, get text messages, etc.

In low signal areas the radio has to work harder to listen for the incoming signal (higher gain/more filtering) and it must turn up the power to send (higher output gain) and, in some cases, resend due to data errors (in either direction, but mainly from phone to cell tower)

Difference in power usage can be well over 10x (10 times) between good signal and worst case signal.

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
You clearly didn't read your own article. Annodized aluminum will only have a thin layer of color. Below the "rust" later that grows on top, there is still silver colored aluminum.

NOBODY questions that it's annodized...except you.

So you are saying that they used special dyes and they peel so easily?When you use the dye and scratch the colour you know what you see?black again not silver but black.
I say they used just a normal dye and this is why they peel off.
For now apple managed to get more negative publicity than the antenagate back in 2010.

Last edited:

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
The example I'm giving is when I am on cellular data (not on a WiFi network). At lunch, in a so-so coverage area, I lost 15% in an hour. It was locked in my pocket. At home, overnight, I lose about 3%.

That's strange I use my iPhone 5 way more than my 4S(until the new wears off). I've used GPS TbyT directions everywhere I go. I'm always on AT&T 4G(not LTE) using Pandora. I keep the back-light way brighter than on the 4S. I'm getting like %20 life left when I go to bed at light. With my 4S I was getting %5 warning like an hour before bed, and many times I would have charged it a bit after work.

I love the battery life on this phone

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
My battery life on my iPhone 5 has been incredibly poor. I even turned LTE off yesterday and fully charged it overnight, and I'm halfway through my work day and down to 47%. I have only done texting and Facebook messenger.

My 4 has been doing that recently. Will sit on my desk all day and its 48%

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
Every single iOS update there is a flood of people complaining their battery life is worse. Then the publicity fades and it is forgotten.

People don't realize they use their phones more right after an update, and they change settings more right after an update, and they install new apps right after an update.

Also people are always *looking* for things to complain about and will notice battery life more than normal after an update.

The reality with any electronic gadget: using them consumes battery life.

Apple is no different than any other company - batteries get consumed when devices get used.

andyjam

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Sydney, Australia
This is nothing new. My 4 does this when I'm at home, where I get a very weak signal. If I'm using it while lying in bed, it usually gets 1-2 bars of 3G and the battery runs down at literally 40% an hour with the brightness on half...

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Well apple loses its touch little by little,
Siri? doesn't work in most of the world,
Maps?are in alpha stage not fuctional,
Dye?it peels off,
Screen analysis?lower than any high level smartphones,
Wifi?problems even there in conectivity,
Security?they find holes even there after3-4 days the iOS6 is out.
Other than that the iphone is great :D

olegandbuster25

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
i sit in auditoriums at my University every day of the week, and get horrible signal (barely 3G and even Edge on my 5) and yet i manage to text and call and surf the web, and my phone is still very much alive when i get home. and stays alive till i go to bed. normally around midnight

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
Probably the problem is that all cell phone makers put biger batteries on their cell to make it last longer,while apple on the other hand makes the iphone 1.8mm thinner and keeps the same battery on

iPhone 5 battery is actually bigger and more powerful.

5: 3.8V - 5.45Wh - 1440mAh.

4S: 3.7V - 5.3Wh - 1432mAh.

A tiny bit, but still larger than the 4S. :)

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
So you are saying that they used special dyes and they peel so easily?When you use the dye and scratch the colour you know what you see?black again not silver but black.
I say they used just a normal dye and this is why they peel off.
For now apple managed to get more negative publicity than the antenagate back in 2010.

Your original statment implied that it's not annodized. So what you are actually saying is that it IS annodized, but you feel they should have used a special dye?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.