Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hlkc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Upgraded to iP5 and looking a way to give the iP4 to my kid. The problem is I just want to give her a phone but not the data plan. According to ATT, as soon as I port his number to the old iP4, ATT will start to charge data plan since iPhone consider a smartphone. I'm wondering anyone here successfully to have their iPhone activate without any data plan in ATT? If so, can you please share how did you manage to do that? Thanks!

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
You would need a SIM from a dumb phone to put into the iPhone. However, if detected, ATT can add on a data plan without notice.

Alternatively I think you could use a pay as you go SIM.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Switch to mobile sharing. Probably the only way to let him use the iPhone 4. Cause att requires data on iPhones.

hlkc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
No chance. Kids should not even have iPhones anyway. Get em a normal non internet phone.

Agree, I don't want to kill her that's why I want to give her just a phone, which she has it already.

You would need a SIM from a dumb phone to put into the iPhone. However, if detected, ATT can add on a data plan without notice.

Alternatively I think you could use a pay as you go SIM.

Thought about that but I afraid ATT will detect it and start charging it...

----------

Switch to mobile sharing. Probably the only way to let him use the iPhone 4. Cause att requires data on iPhones.

Sorry what is mobile sharing? Can I restrict a line/number with no data?

xyion1

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
i was thinking about gifting my unlocked iP4 to my parents. i know they can sweep the IMEI and add a data plan, but would it help if I shut of cellular data (the toggle)?

hlkc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
i was thinking about gifting my unlocked iP4 to my parents. i know they can sweep the IMEI and add a data plan, but would it help if I shut of cellular data (the toggle)?

Good question. Can I do that before I put her SIMM in?

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
ATT requires a data plan with all smart phones.

Period.

If you want to set up the iphone as an IPOD with no phone service, that will work. Repeat, zero phone service. Wifi is okay.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

No, they identify the type of phone from the IMEI.

SevenOfNine

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
This can be done. you need to periodically (a few times atleast) call ATT and tell them you have a dumb phone and dont need data. they will stop bugging after a few times. I have this working now

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
The only way to use a smart phone without a data plan on att post paid is if the phone is not in atts database. All iPhones are in atts database. Att will recognize the phone. I was using a non branded HTC one x on att with the $15 unlimited data plan for dumb phones for a few months. A day ago I put the sim in a blackberry torch to test the phone. The next day att changed my data plan to $30.

msaftw

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Houston, Tx
Whenever I had a BlackBerry while awaiting a iPhone repair I cancelled data for fear of switching to a BlackBerry plan and getting charged pro-rated charges, AT&T informed me if you call them and tell them you do NOT want data they can put a watch on the line. Meaning it will NOT automatically add the data plan even if you detect the iPhone. But that means you won't be able to receive pictures or anything since data will be restricted.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Whenever I had a BlackBerry while awaiting a iPhone repair I cancelled data for fear of switching to a BlackBerry plan and getting charged pro-rated charges, AT&T informed me if you call them and tell them you do NOT want data they can put a watch on the line. Meaning it will NOT automatically add the data plan even if you detect the iPhone. But that means you won't be able to receive pictures or anything since data will be restricted.

are you saying there is a way to use iphone without a data plan? that would be great for my dad

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Can you go into this a little more? I usually give my GF my previous phone when I upgrade (she's rocking the 3G now waiting for my phone) but she can't really afford a data plan right now and don't want to give her something she can't really use. Also, would this screw up my current grandfathered unlimited plan? Thanks in advance.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

Att will not knowingly let you use a smartphone without a data plan. No way around this.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Can you go into this a little more? I usually give my GF my previous phone when I upgrade (she's rocking the 3G now waiting for my phone) but she can't really afford a data plan right now and don't want to give her something she can't really use. Also, would this screw up my current grandfathered unlimited plan? Thanks in advance.

Have her read the contract, as well as any changes/updates, AT&T REQUIRES a data plan with every smartphone - if you don't have one, they will add it for you.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
AT&T has new Mobile Share plans that allow up to 10 devices to share a single bucket of data with Unlimited voice / SMS Txt.

Swing by here and read the details: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=CA7s5RIevU_?tab2

Note: If you convert to a Mobile Share plan then yes you will have to give up your grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Dave

----------

Blocking data plans is only valid on non-smartphones. AT&T requires all Smartphones to have a valid data plan for any post-paid accounts!

All iPhones will be found in system sweeps based on the IMEI that the iPhones shares with the network every time you connect near by AT&T cell tower.

Dave

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
With all this said, and I was one of them, I need to share something.

We gave an older iphone3 to my mother. She still does not have a data plan. Makes no sense to me, but that is real. Other 3 phones have data plans.

I do remember the required data plan thing a few years ago. Added a older Samsung Blackjack and within a day it had data added on me.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
The only way to use a smart phone without a data plan on att post paid is if the phone is not in atts database. All iPhones are in atts database. Att will recognize the phone. I was using a non branded HTC one x on att with the $15 unlimited data plan for dumb phones for a few months. A day ago I put the sim in a blackberry torch to test the phone. The next day att changed my data plan to $30.

Verizon iPhone 5 models are not in their DB, just a heads up. I tried adding my IMEI from Verizon to a work ATT line today to setup a SIM for it with unlimited international data when I travel. ATT wouldn't recognize the IMEI though.

xiacexi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Still waiting for my unlocked iPhone but when I activate it they won't charge me extra for the dataplan right? I purposely got it unlocked because I didn't want to get the extra iPhone charges, I have an android with a 2GB Data Plan that is cheaper than the iPhone's plan :S

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Still waiting for my unlocked iPhone but when I activate it they won't charge me extra for the dataplan right? I purposely got it unlocked because I didn't want to get the extra iPhone charges, I have an android with a 2GB Data Plan that is cheaper than the iPhone's plan :S

You will get charged. It doesn't matter if it locked or not.

xiacexi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
You will get charged. It doesn't matter if it locked or not.

Even though I already have a smartphone data plan? Ughhh how much more do they charge for the iPhone? Might just sell this crap then.
You should be able to keep the same plan.

Phew. Sorry I kind of hijaked the thread there >.>

Last edited:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Have her read the contract, as well as any changes/updates, AT&T REQUIRES a data plan with every smartphone - if you don't have one, they will add it for you.

AT&T has new Mobile Share plans that allow up to 10 devices to share a single bucket of data with Unlimited voice / SMS Txt.

Swing by here and read the details: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=CA7s5RIevU_?tab2

Note: If you convert to a Mobile Share plan then yes you will have to give up your grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Dave

----------

Blocking data plans is only valid on non-smartphones. AT&T requires all Smartphones to have a valid data plan for any post-paid accounts!

All iPhones will be found in system sweeps based on the IMEI that the iPhones shares with the network every time you connect near by AT&T cell tower.

Dave

Thanks guys, appreciate the information and push to actually do my own research :)

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
Upgraded to iP5 and looking a way to give the iP4 to my kid. The problem is I just want to give her a phone but not the data plan. According to ATT, as soon as I port his number to the old iP4, ATT will start to charge data plan since iPhone consider a smartphone. I'm wondering anyone here successfully to have their iPhone activate without any data plan in ATT? If so, can you please share how did you manage to do that? Thanks!

What you can do if you are on the mobile share plan is start a family plan which will give her access to the shared data. You can then go into restrictions(which is password protected) and restrict just about everything that would use data. That way you would be using all the data and she would have a phone that would not use data (although her phone probably would still use some data she would not have access to the things you would want to restict) You might be able to call and have at&t block the data from her phone. I don't think they care if its blocked as long as your paying for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.