Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
----------

[/COLOR]

Thin and light, more portable than "traditional" laptops. If you are still struggling to find a use for it, then it is obviously not for you.[/QUOTE]

I understand. I'm just trying to see how it's for anyone as far as differentiation. The specs aren't vastly different enough from the common MB, or the pro. You say the weight, but the weight isn't vastly different enough, for it to have it's own category. Just make the pro lighter, or increase the abilities of the ipad . .

spl456

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
It's thin enough. Don't they remember the backlash of when Barbie became too thin!

Forget about the thinness and focus on getting a better screen (IPS, matte option), better keyboard, better speakers in there. The areas where the Air is falling short now.

BETTER BATTERY. That's all that matters.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
another revision on the macbook pro?
i thought they were supposed to keep the design for a few years at-least like the previous model and the iPhones?
why is this?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I understand. I'm just trying to see how it's for anyone as far as differentiation. The specs aren't vastly different enough from the common MB, or the pro.

That's exactly the point. If the specs are about the same as the old white MacBook or 13" MBP and the Airs are much thinner and lighter, why keep the thicker ones?

No wonder why the MacBook is already gone and the 13" MBP will have to be differentiated by a Retina Display.

It's the 13" MBP/MB that didn't deserve a class on their own, not the Airs. ULV processors are slowly becoming the norm for mainstream laptops (Intel made it clear a while ago) so this was a predictable and smart move. 17W CPUs used to be much more expensive than 35W ones but their price are falling and since they require a smaller battery, thin laptops are getting cheaper to produce overall.

By a couple years I'm guessing most of laptops sold will have an ULV CPU.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
How thin can you go

How thin can we go before we get to the pointt of "this is the first Macbook is is soo thin..... Its also the first to have no ports of any kind."

Thin, is thin, than previous... But i beleive the time will probably come.

Then again.. Whos gonna buy a macbook you can't plug anything to physically...??

We all do it now with wireless.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
How thin can we go before we get to the pointt of "this is the first Macbook is is soo thin..... Its also the first to have no ports of any kind."

Not to worry. Apple will sell us a $500 ribbon thin adapter that'll plug into a 0.01mm slot on the side. There will be one for ethernet, mini-display port and thunderbolt.:rolleyes:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Not to worry. Apple will sell us a $500 ribbon thin adapter that'll plug into a 0.01mm slot on the side. There will be one for ethernet, mini-display port and thunderbolt.:rolleyes:

Umm ya..

Not to metion massive heat issues by then if current macbooks arn't sorted.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
As long as it has equivalent battery life, this is great news.

The Intel GPU is making external GPUs less and less relevant. Only really professionals and "l33t" gamers need discrete GPUs.

Intel's roadmap for the future is less focused on CPU performance and more about energy efficiency, heat, and GPU performance to focus their war on ARM. Which means notebooks can get slimmer while still retaining capability.

Should be interesting if they are made of Carbon Fiber. Sony notebooks definitely benefit from the material.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This obsession with "thin" over power is getting ridiculous. smdh

As people get "thicker" they like their products to get thinner. Look at TVs. :D

Thinness has its advantages, as does lightness. Stack an iPad and iPhone on top of a MacBook Air. Then ponder that you have 3 powerful mobile computing devices in the space that a traditional "thin and light" notebook took up just 4 years ago.

montclaire

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
Hey Apple, I just bought a MacBook Pro 15 Retina. I don't want to hear of no thinner airs or pros. Let me just enjoy this computer for a while without thinking it's soon to be an older model....please.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
What new features could Apple add to the 2013 MBA?

I assume that if the new one will have a new thinner design does that make for a bigger upgrade than the one from 2011 to 2012?

jchnny

Suspended
Nov 21, 2010
Maybe it's so they can put a solar panel behind the light source to improve battery life...

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
A new MacPro would be nice, and I really don't care if it has a fuller figure: anorexic computing is not necessarily the be all and end all of life.

Last edited:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
In some ways I don't like this seeming obsession with making things thinner each time. When does it become too thin? I'd rather not have a paper thin notebook or iPhone. So instead of closing my Macbook Pro like I do now I can just crumple it up in a ball and put it away?? This is getting kinda ridiculous. When they made the "Retina" MBP and removed the optical drive they should have just put in second hard drive in it's place and left the design alone except for obviously higher specs and the retina display. The MBP (and Air) are fine as is. Instead of worrying about thinness worry more about putting in the best possible specs inside. Yes over time that may mean things can get thinner but again how thin is too thin??

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
I feedback often to Apple ^_^

I continue to give encouragement to :apple: in their feedback section of the online store -- to thin out the 17" macbook pro as much as they like, because I really don't care for the retina in such a large screen, I'm near-sighted - every screen looks practically the same to me and all screens by :apple: are so perfect anyways!

I don't mind a thinner and lighter but MORE POWERFUL 17" macbook pro, because if I have to purchase 100 13" rMBPs to drive my opinion home, I will, that retina is just fabulous for smaller screens for that fact that you will hold them closer than a large screen anyways. With the 15" rMB i was able to set the resolution to "more space" and sit a whole arms length and some away, and still read just fine everything was fine. I just really, really wanted and was really, really hoping for all that POWER and beautiful form factor for a 17" and 13", not a 15". I see the point of 7", 13" and 17" for portable and powerful mobile devices not 15".

If I didn't have to move around so much with my music career, I would own a MacPRO (are you kidding me wow) and have 4 thunderbold displays, and a 13" retina mbp, something like that! ^_^

Thank you so much for the macbook pro news/rumors cos I will NEVER EVER own an eyefone I stopped using a cell phone since 2006 I rely on wifi everywhere to make free talk-a-tone calls everywhere now! The North American cellular plans are absolute SCAMS and their all thieves because my friends in Asia don't even pay 20 dollars a month for an EVERYTHING unlimited plan! They just have to sell their kidneys to black market to afford an eyefone for their estranged girlfriends LMFAO!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.