Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
No probs here so far. I was a bit careless in the past with keys and my 4S...but now I'm very vigilant to make sure my pockets and cupholders are clear before dropping my iPhone in. One day it will get a scratch and I'll be upset for about 10 seconds....then I'll move on.

----------

To you. Not to many other people who count on the resell value to upgrade later on. I respect your opinion that it's a tool, now try doing the same who have differing opinions.

This should be a distant second to its utility.

katai

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
In the near future I will be using the phone naked. I always end up not using the case when I'm used to the phone and avoid dropping on casual days. I have to use a case at work though.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Says you. Scratches devalue the phone. The phone is devalued before even being used once in many of these cases.

An iPhone is a depreciating asset. Sure, it depreciates more slowly than other competing devices, but it's still going to depreciate. Putting a lot of worry into that and making the device ugly or more complicated to carry is just not worth it. Now if you're buying a case to express yourself in some way, I can't argue that so much.

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
I've used my 4 without a case for the last 2 years, and it only has one very small mark in the plastic bit that surrounds the front glass, which I have no idea where it came from, but I used to have an iPod Touch with the chrome effect backing and that ended up being marked to hell.

Is the new aluminium backing on the 5 as sensitive to being slid on a table or something as the iPod Touch or is it only going to scratch from something like keys or other sharp objects?

MioPomo

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Oakland, CA
I put a few knicks in the white plastic bezel around the front glass. Also had some dye appear to rub off on that same area from a new pair of jeans, but it has since gone a way.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Naked here.....my iPhone as well :eek:

Still good....a few nick marks on the edges, but I'm being careful. Think I'm going naked this time....got Applecare+ just in case.

After seeing this video....I think the weakest part of the iPhone 5 is the edge....the back is looking to be fairly durable:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2BxL0nRDlY

-Kevin

Lick

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2012
Toolbag? lol.....You must be all of 10years old :rolleyes:

I don't get why you'd want to stick a bulky case on this phone anyway. I mean standard cases I can kind of understand, but bulky cases that are significantly larger and hide the beauty of the design are just hidious IMO. Each to their own.

*To each their own.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If someone ever makes a case I actually like, I'm gonna keep rocking mine naked. Haven't had any problems so far. But I am slightly more careful now. When I put it in my pocket, it's the only object in that pocket. In my car I have it mounted up on my windshield. At home I'm careful when setting it down on my desk since I'm currently using an old wooden desk that has seen it's better days. When I sleep I lay it on microfiber cloth since it's my alarm to wake me up and I don't want to accidentally drag it across the edge of the night stand or something when I'm reaching to shut it off. May sound a little anal I know.

But this design is seriously growing on me strong. I actually didn't really like it when the leaks came out and now after seeing it in person it just keeps looking better and better every day.

ShiTzuism

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
California
If someone ever makes a case I actually like, I'm gonna keep rocking mine naked. Haven't had any problems so far. But I am slightly more careful now. When I put it in my pocket, it's the only object in that pocket. In my car I have it mounted up on my windshield. At home I'm careful when setting it down on my desk since I'm currently using an old wooden desk that has seen it's better days. When I sleep I lay it on microfiber cloth since it's my alarm to wake me up and I don't want to accidentally drag it across the edge of the night stand or something when I'm reaching to shut it off. May sound a little anal I know.

But this design is seriously growing on me strong. I actually didn't really like it when the leaks came out and now after seeing it in person it just keeps looking better and better every day.
There will always be the inevitable drop though, will there not? .It is not a matter of if, it is when.

asouclks

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Got mine on Friday. I've been naked. Accidentally put my phone in the wrong pocket with 4 quarters. Edge now dinged. Blah.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I've been using my iPhone 4's Bookbook case, to hold 90% of my iPhone 5. So far so good. Eventually I hope TwelveSouth will come up with the wallet case for iPhone 5; I hate carrying a phone And a wallet separately.

This will probably be the only case I put on it. Even though it is bulky. I started using a regular wallet again after about 6 or 7 months of not having one and it's actually painful to sit for long periods of time with a wallet in my back pocket (I had a 3 hour class today and I had to take the wallet out).

@ShiTzuism. There doesn't have to be an inevitable drop. I don't think I ever dropped my 4s and I carried that thing around in Afghanistan (on base only except for one mission). I tend to to shy away from activities where I might drop it. I don't text and walk. I'm typically stationary while making a call. When I'm using it heavily I'm usually sitting down. I try to always put it in my pocket before exiting my car. The one thing I am afraid of is dropping it in between my car seat and middle console. I know for a fact that would scratch the crap out of the aluminum.

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
UK
So judging from the responses so far, the general consensus appears to be that the naked iP5 seems to be quite durable as long as you treat it carefully. Obviously it's still early days, but the feedback so far is mainly positive.

Still unsure what colour I want. I just returned the black one I received on Saturday due to dints in the metal band which left metal underneath exposed. Got a White one on order, but need to try and get to a store to have a look.

Thanks for the responses guys/gals :cool:

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I work at Vodafone HQ, so just popped into the on site phone shop to have a look at the white iP5. Really not as bling as I thought it might be. Really liked it and I've never owned a white iphone before. hmmmmmm

Now if only I can manage to reserve one at an Apple store so I don't have to wait 4weeks

muu

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Mine is coming in this Friday, I plan on going half naked -- just the protector on the back side, hopefully so that the aluminum doesn't scratch like crazy and also so the thing doesn't slide all over the place on smooth surfaces.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
My original damaged out-of-box iPhone took some serious abuse over the weekend and up until today. Not a single mark (other than the ones from the angry chinese workers) on it, far more durable than the crappy glass backing on the 4/4S.

My replacement came today, and is near enough spotless. 2 minutes after opening it, I ran upstairs with it in my pocket, but it fell out pretty fast. It hit the wall pretty hard, took a chunk out of it, but aside from a little green paint (which rubbed off easily), my shiny replacement was unscathed.

This is the only device I've owned since my old Nokia 3310 that I've actually felt comfortable using "normally" without any form of case or skin.

Sure if I drop it from waist height onto a pavement it will dent a corner or 2, but no device will survive that. Plus its repairable to some extent. Any flakiness or roughness can be sanded down, where as glass would shatter, and plastic would either crack or damaged beyond repair.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Counting on the resale value of a phone doesn't make it an investment. Your buying your iphone to be used, it is a tool. I hope your not buying it as an investment because that would be like buying a new car and saying it is an investment. Maybe you could say buying an iphone is an investment if you look at it like the phones features will save you time and money, but thats irrelevant to how your saying the iphone is an investment. Its a tool and its meant to be used, if your counting on the resale value small scratches are hardly worth fretting over.

Correct. Investment is not the correct term. Lessening the depreciation is the goal of many. Having it look as new 2 years later is how this is achieved. Having it look used out of the box is the issue. I wouldn't buy a dinged up shovel even though it will get dinged up by me. Many people feel the same way.

jcspeck

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
Texas
So far almost so good

Got a white on launch day and just noticed a small scratch on the apple, everthing else looks pristine, gonna get a zagg screen protector and then fingers crossed incipio makes a feather in clear, its such a shame to hide something that looks so nice behind a solid color case.

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I've some how acquired some small scratches on the top part of the screen. Very light scratches you need to reflex light on the display to see - looks like someone used it with an earring on but i've been the only person to touch my phone.

Put a screen protector on and bought a case. I took the screen protector off my iphone 4 last year and never got around to replacing it. Still perfect. Sucks I damaged the new phone in 3 days :(

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
At this point with the horrid anodizing quality the only bet is to put a protector on the edge of the phone and a case. A case alone will not stop the edges from being scratched when dirt/debris gets in between the case and phone. They had bezel skins and vinyl protectors for the 4S they should show up soon for the 5.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Everything's fine so far, except the Apple on the back that has some hairline scratches that are only visible in direct light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.