Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broadbent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I have been using handbrake for a while, and it has worked fine for most DVD's I have ripped. It doesnt seem to be working with a new DVD " the Avengers". It crashes every time during the scan process. I tried an older DVD, and it worked fine, as usual. anyone have a solution?

jmv1701

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Yep.

I have no fixes, but I am having the exact same problem. Handbrake tries to read the disc for about 10-15 seconds then it crashes. Every other DVD I try works fine. I am pretty sure this has to be a new anti-piracy thing, which sucks considering they are not offering a digital copy with the DVD/BR combo... only the 3-D TV version.

Broadbent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
yeah wish i just bought it on iTunes. I would rather have the digital version. Hopefully handbrake will address this in future versions.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Are you Handbraking the actual DVD, or have you ripped the DVD to a VIDEO_TS first?

Either way, I'd suggest finding the actual title that the movie is on and just scanning that title. To find the title, play the DVD using the DVD Player app. Get the movie started and then go up the the menu. One of the selections will show you the Title number ... I can't remember the exact menu selection, but it's not hidden.

Then in Handbrake, choose to scan that specfic title, not the whole DVD.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I'd try DVD Decrypter first, then using handbrake to rip the Video_TS file.

That works about 99% of the time for me. I have a couple of DVDs at home I can't rip.

xbleeple

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Are you Handbraking the actual DVD, or have you ripped the DVD to a VIDEO_TS first?

Either way, I'd suggest finding the actual title that the movie is on and just scanning that title. To find the title, play the DVD using the DVD Player app. Get the movie started and then go up the the menu. One of the selections will show you the Title number ... I can't remember the exact menu selection, but it's not hidden.

This fixed the problem! Thanks for the tip!

Broadbent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012

I had already tried this approach. maybe i am doing something wrong. I played the DVD. during the movie, I selected GO>Title and it showed number 35. I opened Handbrake, chose the disk from the side menu, selected the 35th file it was about 740MB an "iTunes Document file" I figured it was the right size, so I opened it. Handbrake crashed about 5 seconds later

Broadbent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I realized my mistake. just select File>Open Source(Title Specific) and type in the desired title number. It worked liked normal.

Burbs123

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Thanks!

I just registered on the site to say thanks. worked like a charm. Broadbent, thanks for the final detail as well.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I had the same problem with The Avengers DVD using Handbrake (and VLC). Handbrake would crash during the scan process.

What I ended up doing was using MakeMKV which made a .mkv file and then I used Handbrake to convert that to .m4v format.

amspranger

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
unable to select specific title

so i tried to the provided suggestions and am unable to select a specific title.

each time i select that item in the menu, it does not ask for a specific title number.

any suggestions on this? thanks.

Nerrolken

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
Am I missing something?

When I go "File>Open Source(Title Specific)..." I get a list of files in the video_ts folder, but they only go up to VTS_21_1. Broadbent said it wasn't just the 35th file in order, so if the numbers only go up to 21, how do I find Title 35...?

I feel like the answer is obvious and I'm just missing it... :/

EDIT: Aha! Figured it out, it isn't the file name that is Title 35, you just pick the file VIDEO_TS.BUP and then choose Title 35 in the next window that pops up. Nevermind!

Last edited:

bigmacair

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
U.S.A
I have been using handbrake for a while, and it has worked fine for most DVD's I have ripped. It doesnt seem to be working with a new DVD " the Avengers". It crashes every time during the scan process. I tried an older DVD, and it worked fine, as usual. anyone have a solution?

Hello!

Broadbent, Im having same error as you only with avenger, other movies work just fine. upgraded my ram to 4GB same issue here.

11" MBA (2011), 1.6ghz i5, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD :apple:

Appfan42

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011

I'll second everyone else - this was the fix. Thanks much for your reply! :)

thbugman

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
PSL
Ugh, I can't figure this out! I can only see up to title 21.....I know it's showing 35 as the beginning title. But how do i find it to start burning???

helinut

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Same here. This is all I get when I choose the first file. I don't see how to find Title 35.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-10-08 at 4.50.48 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-10-08 at 4.50.48 PM.png
    120.7 KB · Views: 610

helinut

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
I figured it out. Go to File then choose specific title from there. Still doesn't work for me though. I can get through to where I would start encoding. I hit start, and it just sits there in the queue and never starts. Oh well.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Ugh, I can't figure this out! I can only see up to title 21.....I know it's showing 35 as the beginning title. But how do i find it to start burning???

I figured it out. Go to File then choose specific title from there. Still doesn't work for me though. I can get through to where I would start encoding. I hit start, and it just sits there in the queue and never starts. Oh well.

Not sure what's the problem. Make sure you're running the latest versions of Handbrake and VLC. Also, perhaps your DVDs aren't the same as the others that have gotten title 35 to work. Maybe you guys have different BD/DVD combo packs or something.

Put the DVD into a standard DVD player or Apple's DVD app and see which title is the actual movie. It may vary between different packages.

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
When I go "File>Open Source(Title Specific)..." I get a list of files in the video_ts folder, but they only go up to VTS_21_1. Broadbent said it wasn't just the 35th file in order, so if the numbers only go up to 21, how do I find Title 35...?

EDIT: Aha! Figured it out, it isn't the file name that is Title 35, you just pick the file VIDEO_TS.BUP and then choose Title 35 in the next window that pops up. Nevermind!

Yup. This does it. Gotta love the internets.

MarkWagner

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
Worked Great

1) File > Open Source(Title Specific)
2) Select the Video_TS.BUP file
3) Enter title number 35
4) Say "Thank you, MacRumors"

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012

Worked great, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.