Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
http://www.caradvice.com.au/191910/mclaren-p1-radical-f1-inspired-supercar-revealed/

McLaren has revealed their ultimate supercar, dubbed "P1". The talk is according to insiders that it has power output as high as 720kW, while the weight is less than 1300kg. Another rumour points to the prototype lapping Silverstone race circuit in Northhamptonshire, England some 25 seconds faster than any other road-car.

Finally, the suspense is over. :cool:

Edit: Power rumoured to be 600kW (the V8 engine) + 120kW (KERS).

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I still can't believe they're selling quarter million dollar cars. How many people can buy these toys, really?

Really nice car and price tag. Very few people will ever have that kind of chump change just laying around. This is why Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, etc. make litre bikes. For those of us who can not afford but require speed. Real beauty the McLaren.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
I still can't believe they're selling quarter million dollar cars. How many people can buy these toys, really?

I think it'll be a bit more than that. :D Try maybe 5 times that price. :eek:

We'll understand more about the car when the rest is revealed at the Paris Motor Show.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
And the Porsche part of the new supercar battle has been revealed too:

http://www.9magazine.com/918-spyder-production-version-factory-brochure-leaked.html

So, 7m:14sec lap of the Nurburgring, 4.6L V8 with 426kW, and with the two electric motors, this increases to 585kW. So it would appear to be not as fast as the McLaren (by the rumours), but it certainly looks the part, especially with the retro Porsche-Salzburg (the 917 team ran by Louisa Piech) and Martini team liveries.

Now we await the launch of the Ferrari (the "F70" prototype seen driving around Maranello) and the Jaguar C-X75, a 1.6L 500hp 4 cylinder turbo/supercharged car with electric assistance of unknown power.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I was just at the McLaren dealer in Beverly Hills yesterday. They had probably five or six on the floor and most of them were sold.

Millions of people could buy one, but won't cuz it is such a oy-racer, video game-looking thing. They mostly buy conservative expensive cars.

Quiz: What is the the fastest car from San Francisco to LA?

1. This McLaren
2. A Bugatti V
3. Beige '72 Volvo 4d wagon.

You know the answer is 3.

tzhu07

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
These modern 21st century supercars still do not top the Ferrari F40

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Hmmm.....I may need to cancel my pre-order. There's no space to fit my subwoofer. KENWOOOOD!

McLaren F1 for you then (it had such a sound-system). I hope you've got many millions of dollars in available cash. You might be fighting a bidding war with another collector to get one.

When you get one, please let me visit you. I promise I won't drool over it too much.
This car is going to match really well with my gold boots.

What recession?

The type of people to buy this kind of car is the old-money, the type who may have an F1 already, or even 3 or more F1s.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
McLaren F1 for you then (it had such a sound-system). I hope you've got many millions of dollars in available cash. You might be fighting a bidding war with another collector to get one.

That's not a problem.

I'm trying to diversify my investments, and what better investment is there than an exotic Italian supercar?

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
That's not a problem.

I'm trying to diversify my investments, and what better investment is there than an exotic Italian supercar?

Italian!!!! Argh....

It's BRITISH! :D Rule Britannia! :p

(just kidding of course)

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I insist on 12 cylinders. Anything less is a hideous compromise. A gas turbine would be nice as you can scorch the peasants who get too close.

A Mercedes does have that emblem you can use as a gunsight, like Mr.Burns does when drives his.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
This is the only McLaren I would ever want:
specialized-s-works-mclaren-venge-01.jpg

Specialized teamed up with McLaren to come up with the lightest, most aerodynamic, and very stiff race bike frame. I think it's sub 900g. It's called the McLaren Venge.

Last edited:

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I'm not trying to steal the McLaren's thunder here - which is in itself a totally badass sports car..

but the new Lambo Elemento which is made completely of carbon fiber makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Lamborghini-Sesto-Elemento-Debut.jpg

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
This is the only McLaren I would ever want:

Specialized teamed up with McLaren to come up with the lightest, most aerodynamic, and very stiff race bike frame. I think it's sub 900g. It's called the McLaren Venge.

Yeah, I know that one - it's the wallpaper on my computer at work. I do see some bicycle commuters in the city with S-Works Venges, but not the McLaren version though. Still, a Venge is a pretty exotic commuter ride! :eek: I don't think the Venge is actually the lightest, but it is very aerodynamic. I did have a list of weights of various frames, but I've misplaced it.

Now, to get this back to real McLarens, the P1 has a massive rear wing:

http://jalopnik.com/5946531/mclaren-p1-every-gorgeous-angle

Ignore the silly journalist-speak, just look at it. :) The front splitter on the final version will be longer than on this one, and it'll also have another air-vent on the front corner of the car (left and right side).

Edit 2: One Australian website was reporting some leaked performance details, 600kW from the V8 engine, with extra power from two flywheels spinning at 80,000rpm able to deliver extra power to push the total to 720kW. The article also suggested 0-62mph in 2.8sec, and 0-125mph in just 6.9 seconds, with the top speed in the region of 385km/h. The article also reiterated the claim that the car smashed the Silverstone road-car lap record by some 24 seconds. The same article mentioned the weight was 1225kg. That would give some 800hp per tonne, well eclipsing the old F1s 550hp/tonne figure, and even that of the F1 LM 640hp/tonne.

Another article mentioned the car had 1300lbs downforce at the front at a speed of 125mph.

Autoblog apparently got a walk-around of the actual car before the media day started at the Paris show. Its reporter mentioned the car is very small, much smaller than you expect. It's apparently a similar size to the original F1, which means similar to a Porsche 911. When the rear wing is deployed, various flaps underneath the car also open up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.