Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvelynW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
I have got a black iPhone 5 yesterday, cool right?
Frankly, I am not an iPhone fan. But, its 4-inch Retina display with 16:9 aspect ratio and 1136 x 640 resolution, as well as dual-core totally fascinates me.
What I want to do most with iPhone 5 is watching my DVD collections on it. The question is how to transfer my DVD movies to iPhone 5? Which program do I need?
Do you have any idea? By the way, my budget is a little bit tight recently after buying iPhone 5, so free program is the best.

EvelynW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
I also used Handbrake for last year.
There is a program called MacX iPhone DVD Ripper I am using now. Its producer is putting it in the giveaway activity and free iPhone 5 is provided as lucky draw.
Hurry up, the activity has time limitation, as far as I know.

Really? I will try my luck :D

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I use MakeMKV to rip then Handbrake to encode. Both are free and very easy to use.

Can you explain further? So both are free.

So you use MakeMKV to rip

then, use Handbrake to import rip to encode and play on iPhone or Macbook or hardware of choice?

Is this right? I'm going to try it, but as I posted above. I'm current as far as the latest version of Handbrake and it just won't do anything.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I use Handbrake, but all of a sudden it just stopped working. I checked the internet for updates and none. What exactly do you do to keep it active? I checked for VLC update as well and I'm current on both Handbrake and VLC. Not sure what exactly I should be doing.

Thanks for any feedback you can share.

Try the information found here

It shows you how to get it back up and running again :)

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
If you use a PC and have Ivy Bridge based CPU, MediaEspresso works amazingly well. It uses Intel's QuickSync with most amazing results ever. A 1 hour DVD video (480p), was converted in 1 minute 8 seconds. This is much faster than using video card assisted technologies, such as CUDA. My SLI CUDA setup did the same conversion in about 10 minutes.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I personally thing you may as well go payware, it's far less messing about and I've been ripping DVD's since the late 90's.

I've found the Leawo products are as simple as they come

http://www.leawo.com/

Both in OSX and Win flavors too.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I'm curious as to whether or not you guys actually watch movies on your iphone? I mean, it can't be a nice experience. The screen is so small.

luke707

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Does anyone have a good step by step tutorial of how to use Handbrake and get a DVD onto you iOS device?

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I use "RipIt" to rip the DVD to my iMac (not free but works well), then use handbrake to convert to a iTunes friendly format (just use the AppleTv 2 preset).

I do it this way so i can rip several, and then load all of them into the handbrake queue and let it process them over night.

Then i use iDentity to add the metadata to the file and add to iTunes.

EvelynW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
I v trid macx iphone dvd ripper. It is really great.
although thare are many other good apps, I still plan to use this one, simple and very friedly :)

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
I'm curious as to whether or not you guys actually watch movies on your iphone? I mean, it can't be a nice experience. The screen is so small.

I use my iphone 5 to watch movies every day at work while I am at lunch. Just put headphones in and watch. I enjoy it on the 16x9 screen with no issues.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I use my iphone 5 to watch movies every day at work while I am at lunch. Just put headphones in and watch. I enjoy it on the 16x9 screen with no issues.

Agreed. Once you start watching it with headphones on you forget how small the screen is. And doing it whist at work just adds to the pleasure :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.