Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I have a few questions about the Galaxy Nexus. I am currently using a Galaxy S3 running CM10. I love vanilla Android, however I am not the biggest fan of custom ROMs. I just don't like the hassle of having to flash a rom, re-setup my phone.. only to have a few features not working then having to repeat with the next build. So I am considering trading my Galaxy S3 for a Galaxy Nexus.

This first question is a bit off-topic. I found a guy interested.. what do you think is a fair amount of cash for him to add with the Galaxy Nexus for my (basically brand new) Galaxy S3?

Next, is the battery life really as bad as people claim?
Is the screen noticeable worse than the Galaxy S3?
And lastly is the camera being less and the specs being less really noticeable?

I'm trying to get a few opinions before I go through with the trade. I live kind of far from my local Verizon store so it isn't that easy to just go and try one out.
Plus everytime I go in there, the sales people won't leave me alone. (so annoying)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'd ask for more money than less for that trade. The S3 is a far more advanced and relevant device. The GN is coming up on one year old in November. Don't know what price to quote you, but I wouldn't settle for something measly. Bare in mind, you could sell your S3 online and probably cover the entire cost of a brand new GN. Remember, it's only $350 off the Play Store.

Are you on Verizon? I fear you might be. I hear the Verizon LTE Galaxy Nexus has horrid battery life. Many don't even consider it a real Nexus device. It's a bit of a travesty, the Verizon version, but it is the only option from them that offers stock Android. If you're not with Verizon, I highly recommend the GSM one in terms of batteries. I get superb battery life. Just superb. I'm talking about 20+ hours with moderate usage. HSPA+ is really the best of both worlds between 3G and 4G.

The screen is very good on the GN. Don't let others scare you with the Pentile crap. And def. don't let them scare you about the pixels. Is it as sharp as the iPhones? No, but it's not far from it, and honestly, you cannot tell. If you're a big photog-enthusiast and really insist on 100% accurate color reproduction, sounds like the GN is not for you. But again, it's really not as bad as people like to make it out to be.

The camera plain ol' sucks. No two ways about it. Again, if you're a photog-person, avoid.

Lastly, you realize the Nexus 2012 is right around the corner? There are also rumors of possibly multiple Nexus-es, from different manufacturers. Most likely? Samsung Galaxy Nexus 2 (which I predict will be a minor spec bump, and the LG Optimus Nexus (which I'm extremely excited about). There might also be an HTC Nexus 5 (a 5 incher phablet).

You may want to wait a bit...

----------

Just to give you an example of my battery life today:

4KOfA.png
[/URL][/IMG]

pHNH9.png
[/URL][/IMG]

13.5 hours and just under half way through the batteries. Pretty moderate use throughout the day. Again, this is the GSM version.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have a few questions about the Galaxy Nexus. I am currently using a Galaxy S3 running CM10. I love vanilla Android, however I am not the biggest fan of custom ROMs. I just don't like the hassle of having to flash a rom, re-setup my phone.. only to have a few features not working then having to repeat with the next build. So I am considering trading my Galaxy S3 for a Galaxy Nexus.

This first question is a bit off-topic. I found a guy interested.. what do you think is a fair amount of cash for him to add with the Galaxy Nexus for my (basically brand new) Galaxy S3?

Next, is the battery life really as bad as people claim?
Is the screen noticeable worse than the Galaxy S3?
And lastly is the camera being less and the specs being less really noticeable?

I'm trying to get a few opinions before I go through with the trade. I live kind of far from my local Verizon store so it isn't that easy to just go and try one out.
Plus everytime I go in there, the sales people won't leave me alone. (so annoying)

I can't provide any comparison to the S3 as I haven't owned one, just iPhone 4s and now iPhone 5. I don't know if you have any experience with either of the new iPhones so, this may mean nothing to you but thought I'd offer my $0.02.

- Looking at my local CL shows S3 listing for between $375-$450. I just sold my unlocked Galaxy Nexus here on MR for $275, probably could have gotten $300 if I really tried but based on your post, sounds like your getting a Verizon GNex which, also based on local CL, seem to be going for a bit less $200-$225) How much should the buyer add? Really depends on the condition of his NEX but assuming comparable quality between both devices, I'd say $150-$200.

- Battery life is certainly nothing to write home about but I generally made it through the day with moderate use, including quite a bit of audio streaming. Seemed comparable to the 4s. Sounds like the S3 is a bit better.

- Screen quality. Not great, not terrible. Sorry, no S3 experience but compared to either iPhone is certainly wasn't as sharp or vibrant. That being said, I could live with it just fine.

- Camera. Not a ton of experience here as I didn't use mine that much. Admittedly it's not very good. Low light is terrible and pic quality is mediocre. Definitely a step down from the iPhones (even the 4 was better).

- Jelly Bean is pretty smooth on the GNex. While I was using it I really didn't notice much lag, if any. Apps were generally immediately responsive and scrolling, animations, etc were smooth. However after using the iPhone 5 for nearly a few days and then going back to the GNex, it was a noticable step back--again, to be expected considering the GNex has been out for nearly a year. In fact, considering when it was release, its performance as held up very well.

If I ever get another Android, it'll definitely be another Nexus device as I prefer the nondescript nature of the device--doesn't scream 'Look at Me!!' like some of its peers and I also prefer vanilla Android (with timely updates ;)).

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I'd ask for more money than less for that trade. The S3 is a far more advanced and relevant device. The GN is coming up on one year old in November. Don't know what price to quote you, but I wouldn't settle for something measly. Bare in mind, you could sell your S3 online and probably cover the entire cost of a brand new GN. Remember, it's only $350 off the Play Store.

Are you on Verizon? I fear you might be. I hear the Verizon LTE Galaxy Nexus has horrid battery life. Many don't even consider it a real Nexus device. It's a bit of a travesty, the Verizon version, but it is the only option from them that offers stock Android. If you're not with Verizon, I highly recommend the GSM one in terms of batteries. I get superb battery life. Just superb. I'm talking about 20+ hours with moderate usage. HSPA+ is really the best of both worlds between 3G and 4G.

The screen is very good on the GN. Don't let others scare you with the Pentile crap. And def. don't let them scare you about the pixels. Is it as sharp as the iPhones? No, but it's not far from it, and honestly, you cannot tell. If you're a big photog-enthusiast and really insist on 100% accurate color reproduction, sounds like the GN is not for you. But again, it's really not as bad as people like to make it out to be.

The camera plain ol' sucks. No two ways about it. Again, if you're a photog-person, avoid.

Lastly, you realize the Nexus 2012 is right around the corner? There are also rumors of possibly multiple Nexus-es, from different manufacturers. Most likely? Samsung Galaxy Nexus 2 (which I predict will be a minor spec bump, and the LG Optimus Nexus (which I'm extremely excited about). There might also be an HTC Nexus 5 (a 5 incher phablet).

You may want to wait a bit...

----------

Just to give you an example of my battery life today:

URL]

URL]

13.5 hours and just under half way through the batteries. Pretty moderate use throughout the day. Again, this is the GSM version.

I am on Verizon, the Google Play Store GNex is an HSPA+ phone so it isn't an option as I <3 LTE. The guys phone is said to be in perfect condition, and includes an Otterbox (I don't really like them though too bulky).
I would love a Galaxy Nexus 2 but the problem with that is, since I'll probably have to pay full retail as I just signed a contract with Verizon (how I got my S3) The Galaxy Nexus full retail on Verizons site (for the LTE verizon) is $649.99 which is crazy considering the Galaxy S3 is $599.99 on their website.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The one good thing about nexus phones is that you pretty much never see a what works and what doesn't list on roms. I have been running the same nightly build on mine for a long time as everything has been working for months. I update it occasionally, usually dirty flashing works fine. The nexus runs jellybean so much better than other devices in my experience even ones with better hardware. The battery thing depends on your usage and setup. I recommend getting the official 2100 mah battery. It doesn't make the phone any thicker and I actually like the feel of the curved backing more. Battery life has improved quite a bit with the new jellybean radios as well.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
The one good thing about nexus phones is that you pretty much never see a what works and what doesn't list on roms. I have been running the same nightly build on mine for a long time as everything has been working for months. I update it occasionally, usually dirty flashing works fine. The nexus runs jellybean so much better than other devices in my experience even ones with better hardware. The battery thing depends on your usage and setup. I recommend getting the official 2100 mah battery. It doesn't make the phone any thicker and I actually like the feel of the curved backing more. Battery life has improved quite a bit with the new jellybean radios as well.

Can you link me to this battery? Also what really is the purpose of flashing a device that is already running vanilla Android?

frank.deale

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2010
I get about 4 hours screen time on each day mostly checking Twitter and email. That is with the stock battery.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Camera on the GN is absolute crap. Not gonna lie.

Its not crap. Its gotten better with each update and with adequate lighting actually takes great pictures. The front camera is actually very good for a phone. Much better than the iphones/ipads.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
In real time use, is the battery upgrade noticeable?

I actually don't have a GNex right now so I can't say but I would assume so since you're going from 1750 to 2100 mAh. I guess you won't notice it if you plan on buying one and using it straight away.

Worst case scenario is you get 2 or 3 of those batteries and and a battery charger and keep a fully charged one with you? It's what I'm doing with my GS3 right now and I never have to worry about battery life this way.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Also what really is the purpose of flashing a device that is already running vanilla Android?

I rooted my Nexus just because I'm on Verizon and their update service is pathetic. They do not honor the promise of a Nexus device. They eventually bring the update, but they are slow as molasses.

There was a testing Jellybean rom for Verizon phones so I flashed it in and it worked perfectly. This was about a month before Jellybean officially rolled out for Verizon. I couldn't have done it if I wasn't rooted.

So, if you just want stock Android, don't root unless you are on Verizon and they are being slow. Otherwise, forget about it.

My reasoning with going with the Nexus was ICS. It was the Android phone when it came out. Nothing came close. It has good hardware, an amazing screen, and a monumental moment in the Android OS. It was the turning point. It was when Android grew up. So I had to have it. I don't take pictures with my phone so I didn't care about the camera. The speaker could be improved with Volume++. And the battery gets me through the day with a charger at work and a charger at home.

The biggest downsides are the battery, camera, and that the screen is horrible in sunlight. If you can deal with that and are okay with the downgrade from the S3 hardware, then get it.

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I rooted my Nexus just because I'm on Verizon and their update service is pathetic. They do not honor the promise of a Nexus device. They eventually bring the update, but they are slow as molasses.

There was a testing Jellybean rom for Verizon phones so I flashed it in and it worked perfectly. This was about a month before Jellybean officially rolled out for Verizon. I couldn't have done it if I wasn't rooted.

So, if you just want stock Android, don't root unless you are on Verizon and they are being slow. Otherwise, forget about it.

Also some apps require root so you can just root and not flash any custom ROMs. That's probably what I'll do when I get the next Nexus. Of course I say this now but I'll probably end up flashing something like AOKP :p

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

I am on Verizon also, do you have to root to get Google Wallet running on it?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Also some apps require root so you can just root and not flash any custom ROMs. That's probably what I'll do when I get the next Nexus. Of course I say this now but I'll probably end up flashing something like AOKP :p

Theres really no downside to flashing aokp or cm10. Unlike on devices like the s2/evo/s3, everything works perfectly on aokp/cm10. The levels of optimization of the software on the nexus are insane. Google really did code the OS to run fantastic on this thing.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Theres really no downside to flashing aokp or cm10. Unlike on devices like the s2/evo/s3, everything works perfectly on aokp/cm10. The levels of optimization of the software on the nexus are insane. Google really did code the OS to run fantastic on this thing.

Can Google Wallet run on it unrooted?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

It's the major reason why I'm anxiously awaiting the next Nexus phone(s). I had a GNex earlier this year and it was great not being under the mercy of Samsung and waiting for them to release their code so developers can make the custom ROMs work perfectly.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I am on Verizon also, do you have to root to get Google Wallet running on it?

I know that you have to sideload it. You cannot download it from Google Play. I'm not sure if it works though. And no, I don't think you need root permission to sideload.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Its not crap. Its gotten better with each update and with adequate lighting actually takes great pictures. The front camera is actually very good for a phone. Much better than the iphones/ipads.

Had the Nexus last year, I thought it was crap. If software updates improved it then I take your word.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I know that you have to sideload it. You cannot download it from Google Play. I'm not sure if it works though. And no, I don't think you need root permission to sideload.

Alright, I just went through so much hassle getting Google Wallet up and running on my GS3 only to find that my version of CM10 isn't letting NFC (or Bluetooth) work. I seriously want to buy a brand new GNex but the Verizon version is like double the price of the HSPA+ model....

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Alright, I just went through so much hassle getting Google Wallet up and running on my GS3 only to find that my version of CM10 isn't letting NFC (or Bluetooth) work. I seriously want to buy a brand new GNex but the Verizon version is like double the price of the HSPA+ model....

EDIT: Turns out that I don't know what I'm talking about. I would try a different ROM. Maybe ParanoidAndroid or AOKP.

Last edited:

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
EDIT: Turns out that I don't know what I'm talking about. I would try a different ROM. Maybe ParanoidAndroid or AOKP.

I didn't even see your original text. :p I'm not a big fan of constantly reflashing.. its a hassle having to redownload all my apps, set everything up, log back into all my apps, etc. I love vanilla Android though.. hence why I'm considering trading for a Galaxy Nexus

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I didn't even see your original text. :p I'm not a big fan of constantly reflashing.. its a hassle having to redownload all my apps, set everything up, log back into all my apps, etc. I love vanilla Android though.. hence why I'm considering trading for a Galaxy Nexus

Do you have Titanium Backup and ROM Manager installed?

You want to backup all your system data and apps in Titanium Backup. You want to do the Batch Backup/Restore functions in it. That will save all your stuff on your SD Card. Then make a backup with ROM Manager. Then flash a new ROM. Then restore your system data and apps with Titanium Backup.

Now, I am not a flash expert, but I believe that is how it's supposed to be done. This way it separates your data from your OS. Switch the OS and restore all the data. You'll have all your apps and all your settings intact (contacts, apps, login info, movies, music, games, etc).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.