Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

handyman130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
I am trying to enable the WEP function on my ibook to match the WEP security of my router. I am using Tiger 10.4..... What are the steps I need to take to access these settings in the ibook??? (I tried entering the web address in Safari that is supposed to go to these settings as recommended in a prior thread but nothing happened)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think you are either a little confused, or are confusing me a little. So sorry if this is too simplistic.

What I understand: You enabled WEP on your router, and then connected your iBook back up to it? If this is the case, you DO NOT NEED to do anything further. There is no "enable WEP on iBook." If you are connected to a WEP network, then your connection is secure to the extent permitted by the WEP standard. A WEP-secured router will not let a computer access the network wirelessly without using WEP.

If you have not been able to reconnect, you click on the airport icon in the menu bar, then click on the name of the network, then type the password you created when prompted.

P.S. people here usually prefer that you keep asking related questions like this in your original thread, rather than starting a new one. But welcome to MR and to the world of Macs! :)

handyman130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
OK...I thought that you had to enable a setting on the laptop to match the setting on the router....so if I am understanding you, I really don't have to do anything on the laptop side...only adjust the settings in the router????

PS Changed the thread because everyone thought I was trying to encrypt documents/folders......my bad, I'm pretty weak :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, WEP is the one with the hash key.

Yep, if the router is configured for WEP, when you joined the network, you should have gotten a password prompt. If you were never asked by OS X for the password (a little window should pop up) then you may not have configured the router correctly.

Once you connected to the network, you are connected with a WEP secured connection. Once you've joined a network, I don't know an easy way to verify what kind of security you are using, but this is the way it works....

Does anyone else know a way to tell what kind of security the current wireless connection uses?

handyman130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
Well, I finally figured it out....I had to add the HEX 10 digit code to my router and to the wireless net setting on the ibook (as the password) so there is a little more to this process than just enabling the WEP and calling it a day.......although, now that I have finished, it really was pretty simple......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.